AVS Forum banner

Can we trust our ears after we've been told what we're going to hear?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Can we trust our ears after we've been told what we're going to hear or not hear?

I personally do not trust my own ears let alone someone elses, so when I read a posting stating that someone has formed a belief through means of DB ABX audio tests, I always think of this video.

Think of the ABX metric, as being equal in terms of creating a suggested bias, you will quickly recognize my concern. When an outcome is suggested, it becomes reality. DB ABX test metric have an implied outcome. The implied outcome is no difference, or put another way, a Null!

https://www.it-it.connect.connect.c...811405075649&video_source=pages_finch_trailer
https://www.it-it.connect.connect.c...811405075649&video_source=pages_finch_trailer

Warning the video is dangerously funny! You may bust your gut!

·
Registered
11,749 Posts
Funny link... LMAO
Funny like a clown?

"This Connection is Untrusted

You have asked Firefox to connect securely to www.it-it.connect.connect.connect.connect.facebook.com, but we can't confirm that your connection is secure.

Normally, when you try to connect securely, sites will present trusted identification to prove that you are going to the right place. However, this site's identity can't be verified
."

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
There is no correct answer among the options provided. If there are audible differences in a blind test then there will also be audible differences in a sighted test so you can trust your ears. If there is not an audible difference blind then you cannot trust your ears in a sighted comparison. The only way to know for sure whether an audible difference exists, of course, is to do a blind test.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
I have too often found that what I heard was different from what I read, or was told, or expected, or correlated with price. Or wanted to happen.

If you don't trust your senses that might reflect more on your confidence, mind set, experiences, or prejudices.

Reactions: IKM

·
Registered
22,648 Posts
Can anyone trust what friends, critics/revues state of movies? I'm sure many can say that they loved movies that others disliked and detested movies that others loved.

It's a personal choice. So, you should be the only "judge". ;)

Reactions: IKM

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
If you don't trust your senses that might reflect more on your confidence, mind set, experiences, or prejudices.
Do you trust your eyes?

If so, don't look here.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
There is no correct answer among the options provided. If there are audible differences in a blind test then there will also be audible differences in a sighted test so you can trust your ears. If there is not an audible difference blind then you cannot trust your ears in a sighted comparison. The only way to know for sure whether an audible difference exists, of course, is to do a blind test.
Such test are forced choice in nature and are devised to produce nulls, therefore the intention is a clandestine bias, that no differences can be statically proven. I have read good postings within AVS alone that have made this fact abundantly clear.

Link to post #1

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-au...ures-affect-sound-quality-4.html#post32787401

Link to post # 2

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-au...ures-affect-sound-quality-4.html#post32791489

In another thread you stated you don't form your opinions based on what other say, in fact I believe you inferred that none of your knowledge on the subject has been derived at from reading at, but from personal experimentation and testing. Within the same thread I has you to describe your test methods, so I could better understand and analysis your opinion, but you didn't disclose them. If your going to keep posting your opinions, and request or demand that we accept them as fact, you must share the conditions in which the measurements were made, or otherwise, be less assertive and tenacious about others accepting your states as fact.

FMW: You believe what you believe and I believe what I believe. In my defense I'll say that my belief doesn't come from reading. It comes from actually conducting bias controlled tests. Happy listening.
After all, you don't read AES papers and the like, so it's only natural that I and others qualify your statements.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.