AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I listen to a lot of DJ CDs where there is a totally seamless transition from one track to the next. I use Winamp 2.9x and the kernel streaming output plugin to the M-Audio Revo's SPDIF output and the transition from one track to the next is anything BUT seamless!

I have been to Winamp's site and tried several of their so-called "gapless plugins" only to find that they just don't work with CDs. Perhaps they're designed to work well with MP3's but that doesn't help me at all.

What I'm looking for is the best quality seamless CD playback using Winamp 2.x and using the spdif output. I can't look at putting all my CDs onto a Media Server yet, but I'll look at doing that next year. I'm sure I'm not the only one here wanting this, so I'm asking those of you in a similar situation to me to come forward with their solutions.

Also, I'm open to any other suggestions to improve the sound quality. Remember though, that I'd like to continue using winamp 2.x (I'm a big sucker for visualisations like geiss and milkdrops) and I want to use the Revo's spdif output.

Thanks in advance!

Ross

·
Registered
112 Posts
Gapless output can be achieved by adjusting the buffers in the Direct Sound output module properties. Go to preferences/plugins/output and select the nullsoft directsound output plugin. On the third tab or so, there is a slider for "Buffer ahead on track change" or something similar which is set at a default of 0ms. With mine at 75ms, I have perfectly gapless output, but the timing you may need to make it work will vary. Give it a try!

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I get perfect gapless playback of my continuous audio DJ cd's. I rip the cd as 1 big ape file. By using the Make Apl function of Monkeys Audio, you get all of the individual tracks. Apl's are sort of virtual files which tell winamp where each track starts and ends within the big ape file. Since the cd is 1 file, you get perfect playback

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I may have been confused. If you talking about playing the physical cd, WM9 so far plays cd's back with no glitches at track changes.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks kauffmbe,

I'll try modifying the Direct Sound output buffer properties because I am talking about playing the physical CD (guess I wasn't too clear there).

Greg, ultimately I am looking at using something like the ape files you describe, but I'm not quite ready yet (no money for a media server.....yet!) so I'm going to try the other approach. I like to use winamp because of the visualisations.

Out of curiousity, do you use any non-standard input or output plugins to improve the sound quality?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.