AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can Windows 7 output audio over HDMI and SPDIF at the same time?

I need to send SPDIF (Toslink/optical) audio to my A/V receiver, but I'd also like to send HDMI to my upstairs TV but I need it to include audio.

It seems like Windows 7 can't output to two devices at the same time like that but please correct me if I'm wrong or if you can help me out...

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
I'm pretty sure it cannot. Your best option would be to use a HDMI splitter and send 1 to your Receiver, providing it has HDMI, and one to the TV upstairs.

·
Registered
232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofakng /forum/post/18301904

Can Windows 7 output audio over HDMI and SPDIF at the same time?

I need to send SPDIF (Toslink/optical) audio to my A/V receiver, but I'd also like to send HDMI to my upstairs TV but I need it to include audio.

It seems like Windows 7 can't output to two devices at the same time like that but please correct me if I'm wrong or if you can help me out...

You could use the Audio Pass-thru function on your TV (if supported), you would need to run cable from TV to Receiver. Some TV's support this well, some don't.. something you can test. just an idea.

·
Registered
807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytoronto /forum/post/18302193

You could use the Audio Pass-thru function on your TV (if supported), you would need to run cable from TV to Receiver. Some TV's support this well, some don't.. something you can test. just an idea.

Most TVs, at least big screen, support that, but they pass stereo only, again in most cases. I've never even seen manufacturers claimimg that, but some people over here insist their TVs can pass through an original sound. That would be against HDMI standard.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts