AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
I surrounded my DX3 with cork slabs, it is installed in the last shelf of an old hi-fi rack. The rack is pratically wrapped with 5 mm cork foils, in the front i cut a hole in front of the lens.
http://www.edisport.it/edisport/afdi...9?OpenDocument

(i hope the link works because it is on a member only site)

The reduction is quite good, in the front part i use a double barrier, the intake fan side is partially free and the back is also free to let the exhaust fan blow the heat away.

Replacing fans could be dangerous, you will surely lose the warranty.

------------------

dubmaster

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
The way I see it surrounding the PJ with 'sound deadening material' is just making a hushbox out of bad material !!

Heres one for you that I was going to make a new thread out of but may as well blast here...

I have been playing around with the idea of a hushbox but have been holding out for the Pannie to ship and to sort a few things first but for a cheap / basic box try this...

Go to a good (big) pet store and ask about their aquariums / reptile enclosures... find something of a suitable size and then just worry about sound insulation... If like me you are worried about either projecting through non coated glass or have to think of a lens.... many (reptile type) come in a thin plastic which can easily be cut and are often the right kind of size...

My plan is I have a ceiling mount that hangs below the ceiling on a drop pole... I would size for the projector with extra height and incorporate an internal baffle by making something (sheet metal / plywood) the size of the inside of the box and mounting between the PJ and the mount and another baffle (or lid this time) a couple of inches above the first.. Both of these could have holes made for airflow but offset to avoid noise transmission...

This is another <$50 improvement that fits the DIY screen fraternity fine... I also think that the clear glass should look fine and allow IR control of the PJ !!!

So... another el cheapo mod from the fevered brain of of you know who http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/cool.gif ...

------------------

[email protected]
HTPC without using windows... GUI Front Ends for Home Theater

·
Registered
372 Posts
dj,

The three (3) fans in most DLPs are three wire types with feedback to the main processor for rotation status. It is difficult to find replacement fans with the exact configuration (electrical & physical) required. They tend to be noisey because they have to move X amount of air.

One of my home setups (with a UP1100) uses a 1/2" sheetrock (gypsum board) box (taped, sanded, painted) to match the ceiling sheetrock. It has a small opening for the image with a rubber "sock" to the lens for sealing the opening. The rear has an intake slot and internal baffles (sized appropriately) and the interior is lined with Sonex. Exhaust is straight-up into an unused space via a 4" insulated dryer exhaust hose that is 2' long (attached to exhaust vent of unit). No booster fan is required in this case due to sizing of intake and maintaining very low resistance on the exhaust.

When operating, most folks can't hear a thing from the box. I can barely hear it from a foot out.

Hey, it works [mass + absorbtion].

Thumper

·
Registered
6,227 Posts

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
If you want to add the sound deadening then it is easy to line the inside of the box as you create with any of the usual products (I saw a very good one recommended by local car audio place... Designed to insulate car engine bays adhesive etc)...

I was just looking for a way to a) Get my IR signal through and b) get that whisperflow look...

As always Champagne on Beer money...

------------------

[email protected]
HTPC without using windows... GUI Front Ends for Home Theater

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
dubmaster,

I am anxious to see what you're talking about.

But your link does require a login anme and password.

Would be grateful if you could email me the photo

or re-upload to a host that does not require login.

Thanks,

Bob Wood

------------------

~~The Sultan of Cheap~~

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Check out my hush box it was built out of plexiglass the front is magneticly sealed with weather stripping on the front. It works great. the hole is partically filled with the plexiglass and more weater stripping. built the whole thing for about 30$ 1/4 plexiglass and a tube of acrlic cement.

------------------

FLABOY
www.hometheater71.homestead.com

·
Registered
103 Posts
Oops thought I had one on there I'll post one on wednesday.

Sorry about that. Check back on Wednesday!

------------------

FLABOY
www.hometheater71.homestead.com

·
Registered
103 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.