AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased my Samsung LN46B650 in April 2009 and only recently started to see the thin black horizontal lines that are apparently a common problem with this HDTV. They appear on the right side of the screen from top to bottom.

Is there any way to get Samsung to cover this systemic defect? Perhaps an appeal of sorts?

I read a post on the cnet.com (can't link it here because I have fewer than 3 posts) where someone had the repair performed (under warranty) and there were two parts that needed replacement, an internal cable (BN96-10075A) and LCD panel (BN07-00671B).

I get this feeling that this is a costly repair and am pretty ticked off about the fact that it happened just a few months after my warranty expired.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
First, be sure you registered the tv at their site. Then check to see if you possibly used a credit card that provides one extra year of warranty, if so, use that.

If no CC warranty, then call Samsung CS and tell them the problem, when the first line CS agent tells you to go away, ask to speak to Executive Customer Relations. When you get to them, be nice, explain the problem and see what happens.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mes444 /forum/post/19563362

First, be sure you registered the tv at their site. Then check to see if you possibly used a credit card that provides one extra year of warranty, if so, use that.

If no CC warranty, then call Samsung CS and tell them the problem, when the first line CS agent tells you to go away, ask to speak to Executive Customer Relations. When you get to them, be nice, explain the problem and see what happens.

Thanks for the suggestion. I called CS today and nicely explained that I wished for a courtesy to be extended to me since it is likely the case that an engineering flaw is the cause of the problem (i.e. a systemic defect) and not a random malfuctioning part. To support my case I explained that it appears others are having the same issue (I told them to google my model number and "horizontal lines on right side of screen" and check the results if they didn't believe me).

They agreed to cover the repair and it just so happens the service company is in the next town over from mine. I did not even have to escalate to Exec Customer Relations.

Stay tuned for a follow up report after the problem is fixed.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Good to hear. Must be a very common problem as you've mentioned. Samsung is pretty good with these out of warranty repairs if the problem is frequent in many of their tvs, I've seen quite a few addressed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Samsung repair man arrived 3pm.

Samsung repair man departed 330pm.

That's all it took him to replace the panel.

Picture looks great now.

Cost to me: $0

I'm just glad that its all over.

This will definitely make me think twice about passing over extended store warranties for big ticket items. I've just always been afraid of stores closing down before my warranty expires.

The repair man was not a very talkative guy at all although he did indicate that some people are on their 3rd panels already. Is it possible to purchase an extended warranty at this point?

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
I am happy to hear about your good customer service from Samsung. It makes me glad that I bought the same brand.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech571 /forum/post/19649452

30 min panel swap is quick, especially if he had to unhook/rewire everything.

I was amazed at how quick he took it apart and put it all back together. He must practice in his sleep.

There was no rewiring involved. Just screws, plugs, connectors, and boards. He laid everything out as he took it apart and put it all back in reverse order.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts