AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now realizing how bad a decision I made by purchasing a VAIO for an HTPC, but hey - that was before I discovered the wonder of AVSforum and the message archives.

All of my 2 internal and 3 external bays are filled. I need more space. I'm reluctant to buy an external HD as that is a solution only until that HD fills up, then I have to buy another external HD.

Short of buying another motherboard/ps/case, which at the cheapest decent brand I believe is ~$300, is there someone who makes just an external chassis to hold HDs?

If not, does anyone know of a very small form factor PC that has many internal bays, as I could use that both as another TV driver and remote video storage server.

Yet another pc would completely fail the WAF test at this time, so I don't know whether I'm better off waiting to build the above PC or if there's a simple solution like a chassis.

·
Registered
324 Posts
There are numerous HDD enclosures, most are either Firewire, USB, or SCSI. The enclosure itself provides power, and in the case of Firewire and USB enclosures, usually an IDE bridge board that converts the IDE interface to Firewire or USB.

Most enclosures can accomodate 1, 2 or 4 drives.

You may want to look at ADS Technology's Pyro RAIDRT which is a 4-drive IDE RAID unit.

·
Registered
47 Posts
You can also get a external drive enclosure that will hold 5.25 drives. Then put a removable hd rack in that. Then you can just swap the hard drives.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Datastor makes a fairly economical line of scsi drive enclosures. You'd probably be able to get a 4-bay, scsi card and cable for around 300. I bought a 7-bay from pcnation a while back - google will give you a lot more choices.

Don't forget to factor in the cost of all those additional drives. Maybe replace your VAIO drives with a couple of 200gb's?

Dave

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dang. At these prices, my gut reaction is to suck it up and live with my puny 80GB drive for long enough for my wife to realize how wonderful having HTPC is [she still doesn't think we need TIVO, but I haven't fully deployed this to the TVs yet].

When she's addicted, then I might as well get a real pretty Vision 2, mobo, & drive controller, and have this unit drive one of my TVs. Hooked into the LAN, this could pull double duty as a video server and as a TV driver.

Curious: Why would anyone buy a non-RAID enclosure if it's more expensive than a PC? Fewer moving parts/better stability?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I thought about this problem, and I think I'm going to build a HD server for my home network. Take one of these 8-bay cases here for example, modify it to accept a motherboard (I think this sucker is big enough to take a full sized ATX), Put a couple 3ware Escalade 8506-4LP SATA RAID cards in there, fill it up with removable HDs, and connect it up with 1000baseT ethernet.

But then, I'm not married. A setup like this might be grounds for a divorce.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by StephenH
You can also get a external drive enclosure that will hold 5.25 drives. Then put a removable hd rack in that. Then you can just swap the hard drives.
My experience has been that 5.25 inch enclosures are frustratingly just too short for removable racks. If anyone has been able to do this, please let me know what brand of removable rack you used.

Another thing to watch out for with external drive enclosures is that they can be very noisy, in particular the single drive USB/Firewire boxes which have small fans.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.