Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

Can I connect my replayTV directly to my computer in order to use DVarchive? Is there a special type of Cable that I would need?

Please let me know if this is possible.

Thanks fo ryour help.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
In a word... YES.

First a few questions...

Do you currently have a broadband (cable modem or DSL) connection? YOu probably don't or you wouldn't be asking this question, but I just thought I'd ask).

Does your computer have a network interface card (NIC)? The NIC input on the back of your computer will look like a phone jack, only a bit bigger (it's called an RJ45 plug).

You'll need to run a "CAT5 crossover cable" from the Replay to the PC (order it over the internet or spend twice as much at Radio Shack / CompUSA).
Here's a 25 foot one for $18, but you can get them cheaper.

From there the details get a little confusing. YOu'll probably want to run DHCP on your PC, which is a utlity that will assign your Replay an internet address, by which DVArchive will communicate with it.

Check out this thread for some more details.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
That's incorrect plyons10. He would need a crossover cable to directly connect his ReplayTV to his PC without a switch/hub/router.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Wooops... of course you are correct...

I'm so used to the auto sensing in today's routers and hubs that I forget crossover cables still have their place.

I've edited the post.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Actually, if he's using a Mac from the last year or two he might not need a crossover cable. but more than likely he will.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Do the newer ones have an autosensing NIC?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.