AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there ANY way to connect a cpu to a processor so I could play cpu games through my surround system and not have to buy extra cpu speakers and junk like the Audigy 6.1 card. I want quality cpu sound.

·
Registered
568 Posts
You'd have to get something like an M-audio 2496 PCI card, then run a digital connection (Coax or toslink) to your pre/pro. Something has to convert from your game world into sound represenation, and that's the sound card. The M-audio card is noticably better than most others available, although of course it carries a noticably higher price too.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks BLW, I am on track now, but I did a google search on that card and I didn't see a digital link on it. I know M-Audio has a new 7.1 sound card. Would that work? I don't see a digital link on that either though. A link would be very helpful.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
blw was likely referring to the M-Audio Revolution 7.1 or the M-Audio Audiophile 2496. The Revo has a coaxial digital output, and I believe the Audiophile 2496 has coaxial digital output and input.

M-Audio home page . Click on 'Consumer Audio' to find information about the Revolution 7.1.

Edit: Forgot to mention that the digital output will most likely not get you 5.1/7.1 from your games, unless you're using a game that directly supports Dolby Digital output/passthrough. I'm not a gamer, but I've been told that there aren't many such games. Anyone... please don't hesitate to correct me if I'm wrong!

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
If you don't like the Audigy 2, then Hercules makes a 7.1 card as well. Also, several newer motherboards (namely those with Nforce chips for the Athlon) have 5.1 audio on the board.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.