AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finding that some of my default values are off from the values of others, I'm concerned that this is the root cause of my out of the box unwatchable PQ. I've been told that "Delay" should not be changed, PhilB's 507 was at 222, a 437 owner who posted, his was at 218.....maybe a change between models, mine was at 219. Another that was my biggest problem was CB_offset for C1, mine was at 28, everybody else's was 58. This setting made a huge difference in my blacks, turning them from blue back into black.....or a close rendition of it. I'd like to see as many default listings as I can to try and figure out what settings match and if any others could possibly be awry. Thanks for your help guys....

·
Registered
4,753 Posts
These are my DEFAULT settings for component_1 progressive DVD player, HLM507W, V107 Aug 19, 2002 firmware:

[*=after tweak]

Notes:

CB_OFFSET, if = to 28 would give you a strong blue hue in dark areas.

On my set, I had a strong magenta cast (R+B) on my DVD player due to the poor default settings of R_OFFSET and B_OFFSET below.

DDP1010:

POS-Y=12

POS-X=150

LAMP=TOS/PHIL

DELAY=224

BR=255

CT=120 [*150]

V-FLIP=NORMAL

H-FLIP=NORMAL

GAMMA=4 [*0]

MN82860:

R_GAIN=220

G_GAIN=230

B_GAIN=237

R_OFFSET=145 [*134]

G_OFFSET=128

B_OFFSET=149 [*132]

S_BR=48

S_CT(DDP)=120 [*150]

BTHN=ON

WTHN=OFF

RYAXIS=0

BYGAIN=128

WLIM=223

WKAKOU=4

WPEAK=63

WSTPO=32

BKAKAOU=5 [*0]

BLIM=23 [*0]

BSTPO=18 [*0]

RMC=0

CTI=2

S_CT(MN)=128

AD9883:

Y_GAIN=170

Y_OFFSET=60 [*50]

Cr_GAIN=170

Cr_OFFSET=58

Cb_GAIN=170

Cb_OFFSET=58

·
Registered
18 Posts
Taking Tom's progressive comp1 settings

and added my _437_ firmware v109 values that differ after ->

(Hmmm, I'll be trying his settings some time soon)

[*=after tweak]

DDP1010:

POS-Y=12 -> 4

POS-X=150 -> 147

LAMP=TOS/PHIL

DELAY=224 -> 220

BR=255

CT=120 [*150] -> 128

V-FLIP=NORMAL

H-FLIP=NORMAL

GAMMA=4 [*0]

MN82860:

R_GAIN=220 -> 235

G_GAIN=230 -> 230

B_GAIN=237 -> 244

R_OFFSET=145 [*134] -> 147

G_OFFSET=128

B_OFFSET=149 [*132] -> 139

S_BR=48

S_CT(DDP)=120 [*150] -> 120[*128]

BTHN=ON

WTHN=OFF

RYAXIS=0

BYGAIN=128

WLIM=223

WKAKOU=4

WPEAK=63

WSTPO=32

BKAKAOU=5 [*0] -> 5[*0]

BLIM=23 [*0] -> 23 ->[*0]

BSTPO=18 [*0] -> 18[*0]

RMC=0

CTI=2

S_CT(MN)=128

AD9883:

Y_GAIN=170

Y_OFFSET=60 [*50] -> 60[*50]

Cr_GAIN=170

Cr_OFFSET=58

Cb_GAIN=170

Cb_OFFSET=58

·
Registered
4,753 Posts
Okay, I modified post above to include model and firmware.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Tom, could you tell me your UM settings that (you think :) ) go along with progr. comp1 mode?

Edit: Never mind, I found them in another thread.

·
Registered
856 Posts
These are my DEFAULT settings for component_1 progressive DVD player, HLM507W, Oct 09, 2002 V109 firmware:

DDP1010:

POS-Y=16

POS-X=147

LAMP=TOS/PHIL

DELAY=220

BR=255

CT=120

V-FLIP=NORMAL

H-FLIP=NORMAL

GAMMA=4

MN82860:

R_GAIN=241

G_GAIN=230

B_GAIN=240

R_OFFSET=127

G_OFFSET=120

B_OFFSET=123

S_BR=48

S_CT(DDP)=120

BTHN=ON

WTHN=OFF

RYAXIS=0

BYGAIN=128

WLIM=223

WKAKOU=4

WPEAK=63

WSTPO=32

BKAKAOU=5

BLIM=23

BSTPO=18

RMC=0

CTI=2

S_CT(MN)=128

AD9883:

Y_GAIN=170

Y_OFFSET=60

Cr_GAIN=170

Cr_OFFSET=58

Cb_GAIN=170

Cb_OFFSET=58

I would be interested to see the latest version (the November version) which is in the sets currently being delivered.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by pspun
BKAKAOU=0

BLIM=0

BSTPO=0

It is interesting to note that the default values for BKAKOU, BLIM, and BSTPO are 0. These are the suggested tweaks by the Houston gang.
That is interesting because my V109 is not set to zero, I've found that the settings in these fields are global so that if they are changed to zero for one input that are changed to zero in all inputs. Even the DVI and PC inputs had the default values of 5,23,18 in these fields even though they are turned off. Mine were switched to 0 as well but the default value across the board was 5,23,18.....

I'm also wondering why everybody's "Delay" settings seems to be different, the range is about 218-224 so far. I was told that this is a function for the timing of the DMD chip. I would think that they should all be the same, possibly a difference between the models but at least the same within models. I can understand gains & offsets varying slightly due to differences in the light bulbs etc. Maybe each chip needs to be timed a little different as well?

·
Registered
856 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Supertoyz
That is interesting because my V109 is not set to zero, I've found that the settings in these fields are global so that if they are changed to zero for one input that are changed to zero in all inputs...
Thanks, Supertoyz, I did change these values to zero under the cable input, that may explain why they were zero when I went into the SM under Compoent 1. I will make that correction in the post.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I've had the 507W for a few days.

Today, for the first time, I tried to get to the SM.

Following:

"To enter the service menu: turn off set from whatever input source that you want to see the resulting adjustments, wait 15 seconds. Using the remote: push MUTE, 1, 8, 2 and Power. The service menu will appear. "

I did that and no SM appeared! Mine is a Nov. 2002 mfted date.

Is a change in SM code likely?

ed g

·
Registered
64 Posts
I had trouble getting into the SM once too. I think I waited about 45 seconds (since I was busy fiddling with my notes). There may be a timeout where you leave the SM entry state and move back to normal key mode. Could also be relative to the last power down.

·
Registered
114 Posts
All my prior attempts were with DVD as a source.

After my prior posting I tried setting the "Antenna1" (analog cable) as the source, and now it worked. I took photos, nd after looking over things, I expect to go back and try again with the DVD.

Sorry for the incomplete original attempt.

My sets original settings will follow.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Does anybody have the default for v108 Sept 4, 2002?

Are the default settings the same for all input modes?

·
Registered
346 Posts
These are my DEFAULT settings for component_1 progressive DVD player, HLM507W, Oct 09, 2002 V109 firmware:

DDP1010:

POS-Y=11

POS-X=153

LAMP=TOS/PHIL

DELAY=222

BR=255

CT=120

V-FLIP=NORMAL

H-FLIP=NORMAL

GAMMA=4

MN82860:

R_GAIN=241

G_GAIN=230

B_GAIN=239

R_OFFSET=136

G_OFFSET=120

B_OFFSET=127

S_BR=48

S_CT(DDP)=120

BTHN=ON

WTHN=OFF

RYAXIS=0

BYGAIN=128

WLIM=223

WKAKOU=4

WPEAK=63

WSTPO=32

BKAKAOU=5

BLIM=23

BSTPO=18

RMC=0

CTI=2

S_CT(MN)=128

AD9883:

Y_GAIN=170

Y_OFFSET=60

Cr_GAIN=170

Cr_OFFSET=58

Cb_GAIN=170

Cb_OFFSET=58

They seem to vary slightly even among the same model and the same firmware.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
The attached link is my original settings, but they didn't look correct, so I updated to Tom Roper's default color settings and it is about 75% now, I also changed gamma to 0 since too. Hope this helps.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...postid=1507586

Jim

DVI: (all factory defaults)

R_Gain=226

G_Gain=230

B_Gain=245

S_BR=48

S_CT(DDP)=108

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Here's a tip I learned from Phil.

Turn off the melody in the user menu. After that you can enter SM very quickly.

With the set on and on the desired input hit Power,mute,1,8,2,Power. Since your lamp doesn't have time to shut down it saves a cycle.

I put in PhilB's SM settings and got very good results. I got even better tweaking from there, but I think they are a good starting point.

I'm going to try Tom's and see how I like them.

The Holy Grail here is going to be in adjusting the RYAXIS and BYGAIN to get correct color decoding.

Ken

·
Registered
4,753 Posts
Here's an update.

I did this a while ago, but mentioning it now fwiw. From the very beginning, I noted a fairly strong magenta push on component-1 progressive using the Panasonic DVD-RP82. I corrected for it by changing Cr_Offset and Cb_Offset in the AD9883 menu. While that helped, what I began noticing, was that when the screen was blank, tv on component, but DVD player switched off, I still had a magenta cast to the black. Since the DVD player was off, how could I possibly place blame on the DVD player?

Investigating further, I noted the following settings:

Component-1 progressive:

R_Offset=145

G_Offset=128

B_Offset=149

DVI:

R_Offset=134

G_Offset=128

B_Offset=132

Since magenta=R+B, I got rid of the magenta cast by setting component-1 DVD equal to the DVI settings in MN82860 menu. Once I did that, I was able to reset Cr_Offset and Cb_Offset back to their factory default settings.

Anyway...my best settings are the ones derived after using Phil's finding to go to gamma=0, increase S_CT(DDP), and noted somewhere just after that post I made about Star Wars II having really good blacks, (and brights, and colors etc.)

I can post them again if anyone wants.

Tom

P.S. If Jim's set is only 75% after copying my indisputably perfect settings, I can only assume his set has a defective color wheel, a failing lamp and 3 blinking light problem sure to follow :) ;) :)

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Tom, I am WAITING for Kenland's FULL report of his set with calibration details, my only faults right now is a inconsistant color, which seems to fall in line with the grey scale problem that was mentioned in the review before. I do see advertisements with un-natural looking skin tones, but HD and SD programs look almost dead on, so I wait patiently till Kenland comes with his "tweaked" settings. I do love my set and would not trade it for anything at this moment, I had approx 20 people at my house today, and even with the high ambient light, the only thing I got was compliments. But of course I told them that it is not near complete in the settings, they laughed.

Jim

·
Registered
856 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Roper
Here's an update.

I did this a while ago, but mentioning it now fwiw. From the very beginning, I noted a fairly strong magenta push on component-1 progressive using the Panasonic DVD-RP82. I corrected for it by changing Cr_Offset and Cb_Offset in the AD9883 menu. While that helped, what I began noticing, was that when the screen was blank, tv on component, but DVD player switched off, I still had a magenta cast to the black. Since the DVD player was off, how could I possibly place blame on the DVD player?

Investigating further, I noted the following settings:

Component-1 progressive:

R_Offset=145

G_Offset=128

B_Offset=149

DVI:

R_Offset=134

G_Offset=128

B_Offset=132

Since magenta=R+B, I got rid of the magenta cast by setting component-1 DVD equal to the DVI settings in MN82860 menu. Once I did that, I was able to reset Cr_Offset and Cb_Offset back to their factory default settings.

Anyway...my best settings are the ones derived after using Phil's finding to go to gamma=0, increase S_CT(DDP), and noted somewhere just after that post I made about Star Wars II having really good blacks, (and brights, and colors etc.)

I can post them again if anyone wants.

Tom

P.S. If Jim's set is only 75% after copying my indisputably perfect settings, I can only assume his set has a defective color wheel, a failing lamp and 3 blinking light problem sure to follow :) ;) :)
Please do post the complete SM settings. Do you have settings for Antenna and composite inputs also? I would like to see the complete settings for all the inputs, then we can have a single source of the tweaks that everyone can use. Ken, please contribute to this also. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.