AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this a bad idea? I have a sealed 15" Velodyne sub which sounds good, but I'd like some more volume.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Not clear in what situations it will not work. I suppose it depends on the Thiele/Small parameters of the subwoofer driver and the size of the enclosure. Winisd may be helpful in determining whether a port might work.

I read an online newsletter from a Audio Club/Group that added a port that was tuned to 22 Hz to the PE C1500K sealed subwoofer (kit) and were able to extend the low-end of the response from 25 Hz to 20 Hz. There were no details on the size of the port, what frequency-response variations (if any) were produced above 30 Hz, or if the output became louder.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambaretzu /forum/post/19532694

Is this a bad idea? I have a sealed 15" Velodyne sub which sounds good, but I'd like some more volume.

This would be a bad idea. Not only will you alter the acoustics of the subwoofer with an untuned port likely for the worse, but if you have a servo based subwoofer you will render the unit inoperable by compromising the sealed environment. I would recommend either adding a second subwoofer, or assuming your using an old model, consider upgrading to a newer model. Finally if you have a system with Audyessy, take a look at your LFE setting, it may be too low. The LFE gain should typically be between 0dB and+3dB.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts