AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've posted this before with no response, Are there quality separates in this price range or would the money be better spent on a receiver ? I just bought a plasma and need to replace my 15 year old JVC receiver in my theater room. This will be my first surround system, music still sounds great on my 20 year old ARC / B&W 2 ch system. I plan on spending an equal amount on speakers so any suggestions would be great. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ron

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Also, the Emotiva Ultra Lites will be hitting the streets in the very near future. Amp and pre/pro runs about $1,100 - $1,200. Check out ********** for more details.

Additionally, don't overlook the used market either. Sites like audiogon.com has a nice selection of used gear along with the forums of many audio sites.

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
If you want something in a true "separates" setup with plenty of power. Then the Outlaw combo deal of the 990 pre-pro and the 200wpc 7 channel 770 power amp for $2498, is a great buy and damn hard to beat at that price point. Other options would be to find a good receiver for somewhere in the $500-$1000 price range to be used as a pre-pro, along with the Outlaw 770 amp for $1600.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
first decide on speakers. some speakers dont NEED all that power, in which case you can just go with a higher end receiver and get an excellent sounding pre/pro section built in,

choose your speakers, then determine if you're better off with separates, or something like the ARCAM AVR-300, newly announced Denon 4306.

you could also go with a receiver, and a 3 channel amp for the fronts.

like I said, everyting depends on the speakers you end up with.

just my 0.02 :)

personally I prefer the receiver plus 3 channel amp solution in most cases.

·
Registered
526 Posts
The used market opens up a lot of other options too. I scored an Anthem AVM 20 and MCA-5 in the price range you mentioned.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I picked an Acurus ACT-3 pre/pro, A200x3 and A200x2 amps, and an Iscan Ultra for half of your budget. If you are patient then the classifieds here, at Audio/Videogon, Hometheaterforums, and eBay may be able to fill your needs for far less than you would imagine.

·
Registered
88 Posts
For $2500 I would certainly take the time to look into the Rotel RSP-1068 and RMB-1075 combo. With a little bargaining, you may do a bit better than $2500.

These are not over loaded with bells and whistles but are pretty good at what they do including music, especially at the price point. In fact, for myself there is not a receiver by any manufacturer out there, Rotel included, I would prefer over this combo.

If used gear is a consideration, then I would also look at Anthem.

·
Registered
126 Posts
The used market place definitely has some gems...

I just scored (might as well have stolen) an Anthem mca-20 that is absolutely flawless. Wow...

·
Registered
665 Posts
I got the Sherwood P-965 and the A-965 combo for that price including delivery.

I have been very happy with the quality and now there is a automatic eq function. I personally like an amp that weighs 71 pounds. :)

Itai

·
Registered
78 Posts
wje:

I looked over on the AV123 site and in their Forum for something about a shop date for the UL combo. Any idea when it will ship? Someone asked in the past day or two, but no one there has replied.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.