AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

This is my first post, but I've been lurking for about 6 months. The wife has relented and we're converting a small 12'x13' room into a home theatre. Unfortunately, it will also have to double as office space, so Viewing distance will be 6 1/2" from the screen.

I'd like a Pioneer 6020fd but I'm afraid it's too big for the space. The wife went bonkers at the just the price of the 5020fd! I may have to settle for the Pany 50PZ850U. She see's all the cheap tv's at CC and BB and can't tell the difference between the good and the bad, just the price.

I'll have to do this in stages, so DVD's and SD cable will have to do (at least until she see's how bad it is and complains why we paid so much for a crappy picture). BD and HD cable will be an easy battle after that.

I've checked all the different charts that various threads recommend to determine viewing distances and they give such a wide variation, that it's hard to know which to believe. My intellect tells me the 50" is big enough, but testosterone tells be BIGGER!

So, let me have your wisdom.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I got the dimensions of a 42" and 50" and then put some pieces of painters tape on the walls for both sizes to get some idea on the size.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhk /forum/post/15515865

The wife went bonkers at the just the price of the 5020fd! I may have to settle for the Pany 50PZ850U. She see's all the cheap tv's at CC and BB and can't tell the difference between the good and the bad, just the price.

Cracks me up whenever I read another tale of an A/V enthusiast taking his wife out shopping. Same result almost every time. One woman's "perspective" is another man's "cold water."

Why spend all of that extra money on something the wife can't see, or has to be "trained" to see?

When driving in stop-and-go traffic, the rule is: You're too close to the guy in front of you if you can't see their license plate. With TVs, my rule is: You're not too close if you can't make out the individual pixels.

Still, I think 50 inches of display is plenty for your situation. Not to mention that 50" is the sweet spot in value.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I think you should go over to the projector area and see some screenshots of what PJs can do at 100".

·
Registered
628 Posts
50 is good, but you could go bigger. I never felt the theater effect on anything less than 60. But that is just me.

·
Registered
69 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhk /forum/post/15515865

I'll have to do this in stages, so DVD's and SD cable will have to do (at least until she see's how bad it is and complains why we paid so much for a crappy picture). BD and HD cable will be an easy battle after that.

Oh, and don't get a Panasonic plasma if that is your intention. That's what we have and digital sd cable and sd dvd's look great.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I sit about 9' away from my 50'', and when I have friends over, they usually assume it's a bigger screen and are surprised when I tell them it's "only" a 50''. I think 50'' would give you a sufficiently immersive experience at 6.5 feet. That's just my opinion.

And as others have said, that size is a real sweet spot for value. Use the money you save to get a BD player--for home theater you will not regret it!

·
Registered
525 Posts
Get a 50" and an indoor antenna to pull in your ota hd channels, after seeing those compared to sd cable should be an easy conversion to hd satellite which has the best picture quality compared to cable, imo.

In the future when you're ready for another set, move the 50' to the bedroom and get something bigger perhaps

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Never listen to anyone here who ever recommends a smaller size.

Go big! I gurantee you that if you do six months down the road you will not regret your decision.

If you go with a smaller size you will be yearning for a larger size.

60-inches is not massive and screen door effect isn't too much of a problem with a

1080p set.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Not possible...walls can always be knocked out, and who really needs furniture anyway? Cost on the other hand..

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
The single biggest crime against video quality is the notion that you need to fit a trillion dollar TV into a $99 dollar pressed wood entertainment center!

Throw the thing out of the house and buy a decent TV!

If you're smart enough to do that I would in no way begrudge you having a velvet Elvis on the wall or flamingos in the front yard!

·
Registered
108 Posts
I just got a 40 inch xbr6 lcd for a space similar to yours and its perfect. My parents have a 50 inch kuro in a massive adobe living room and its a sight to behold. I find it wonderfully immersive at any distance, though a little overwhelming to sit next to. It is also godugly turned off unless you light massive industrial glass and plastic art. I think the 60 is out unless you are building a theatre or are a typical insecure american- joking

Anka

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
The truth as much as people don't want to hear it is, Yes. But it depends on certain criteria. If you're living in a place that has a living room that's only 6ft wide then a 65 or 73 inch tv is way to big. Think about it when was the last time you sat in the front row of the movie theater? Not to say bigger isn't better just that there is a point where the display becomes to big for your eyes to follow everything on the screen. and that is mostly dependent on the distance you are from the screen and the quality of the source material. JM2cents. Every person's different.

·
Registered
628 Posts
They must not have movie theaters were Anka is from. 50 inches immersive at any distance? I guess I have become to use to large screen at my movies and at home.

sincerely

Insecure American

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Just remember what's good for the goose is not always good for the gander. Your experiences will vary. Not saying don't get a 60inch just know that the decision you make is your own and never look back.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kciaccio /forum/post/15520043

Good point. Some people like real movies, some just watch sitcoms when it comes to viewing.

It's got nothing to do with REAL movies. Your screen doesn't have to occupy an entire wall for you to enjoy movies. What's small to you may be big to others. Tastes vary. It's this reason that I don't abide by the buy the biggest screen you can get. My advice is to find people that have big screens in their house and go to stores like BB magnolia and mom and pop audio video store that have faux rooms set up and try to get a good idea of the tv you're looking at. Take the wife and sit down and look at them and see what size you find most appealing. Remember that this is something you will be watching hours at a time.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I never mentioned having to take up an entire wall, so lets not make this into me believing you have to have that kind of set up. Like I said earlier I have been around large screens for a long time for my movie experiences( I could care less the size when watching a sitcom) thats why I stressed real movie meaning the kind you rent or buy, shut everybody up and get into the moment on. I personally do not get that experience with anything smaller than a 60 inch screen is all I am saying.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
As opposed to a fake movie?
Come on man. For the OP 50-60 would be fine. I would probably recommend an in between like a 55. Then everyone's happy.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts