AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you guys recommend me a good audio setup that will take advantage of DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD? Also, what's better, HTIB or to buy components separately? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmaz42o /forum/post/14170203

Can you guys recommend me a good audio setup that will take advantage of DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD? Also, what's better, HTIB or to buy components separately? Thanks in advance.

home theatre in a box sucks. Go to ascend acoustics, elemental designs, av123 are 3 great places and put you together a 5.1 setup some of the cheapest best sound for the money speakers right there. Get you a receiver to go with it and your set with a fantastic setup.

·
Registered
6,908 Posts

Quote:

Can you guys recommend me
"recommend me"

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavu /forum/post/14170472

"recommend me"

Don't be a dick. Don't reply if you don't have anything nice to say. Thanks get_zwole, I'll check those out.

·
Registered
56 Posts
At the time the Onkyo 605 was the best bang for the buck. Now they have a 606 out. Crutchfield.com is a good way to compare models. At the bottom of there website they list the next model and what feature you get extra for the price.

You should also check out the Orbaudio.com. They sell small speakers that sound great for the size. They run about 100-120 depending on how many you buy. The best thing is you can always add to you system.

You can check out some of the reviews in the audio forum.

Best of luck

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Def tech has a nice boxed set for 699.99 msrp, you get 4 bookshelfs, center, and woofer, and this is great, because you can always move those to the rears for a 7.1 setup and upgrade to a pair 7006s, or mythos 2s if you don't have the space. The KEF 3005 is the same deal, great speaker setup, a little more money though. As for the receiver, you could go with the Onkyo 606, or the Yamaha 663. Both handle DTS HD MA and Dolby True HD. Although, none of this really matters, because the PS3 cannot bitstream these codecs, so any receiver that accepts PCM, will do you just fine.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
You might be able to find last years Yamaha 661 receiver pretty cheap, since its been replaced by the 663 now. The 661 does everything you need for the PS3. Regarding speakers, I am biased toward Paradigms, but thats just me. Remember speakers should last a long time and its a mature technology, so I wouldn't skimp in that area IMO. My local Paradigm dealer always has good deal on used speakers, and they are tested. I also have bought used off of ebay, with good luck, but it still makes me nervous.

·
Registered
515 Posts
accessories4less.com has ridiculous deals on Marantz stuff. I got my SR4001 there for $250 and couldnt be happier.

Infinity speakers from www.theaudiovideosource.com are pretty amazing as well. I have the biggest Primuses all around and i think it sounds really damn good.

I don't think i coulda gotten more bang for the buck.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Budget please. Its the most critical part of this decision. I agree that you should definitely go with separate stuff if you can versus home theater in a box. Yamaha receivers and Klipsch Reference speakers = heaven.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I'm assuming your budget is low because you were considering a HTIB. Amazon has Polk Monitor 30's for about $120 pair. Excellent front and rears for the money. POlk CS1 or CS2 for center and PSw10 for sub. For under $500, your not going to get a much better speasker set. Onkyo 606 or the Yamaha equivalent about $400. How do I know? I spent two weeks trying to find the perfect home theater for under $1000 and that's what I came up with. All my buddies with higher end systems are amazed at the sound I get from my setup. There you go, all the hard work done for ya.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
I have an onyko 705 a/v rec and couldnt be happier, got it for $600 and i'm sure they are cheaper than that now...you can pick up a decent set of speakers pretty cheap also.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I am more than happy with the Infinity Primus line of speakers. I have the C25 as my center, 360's as my fronts, and the 150's as my rears. It isn't particularly great on the bass but a subwoofer will take care of that. The midrange and highs are fantastic imo.

For a receiver, I have the Onkyo 674 but they have the newer models with more features out now.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdjenk /forum/post/14171137

Amazon has Polk Monitor 30's for about $120 pair. Excellent front and rears for the money.

I just picked up a pair of these. I think you get a very nice bang for the buck with them. My plan is to move them to the surrounds when I upgrade, but in a townhouse living room they do just fine up front.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I too am partial to paradigm, I just like the sound of them I know they are quality for a reasonable price. I am in their lower end lines but they sound great to me. I did go with a bic h100 sub that I like. I don't know what your budget is but a grand should be able to get you a good setup with 5 speakers, a receiver and sub. It will be a good quality setup that will last a long time. The onkyo is a very popular receiver but I would lean more toward the other models listed in the thread mostly because of price, sony hdmi receivers are well priced as well. Like somebody else posted hdmi input (make sure its not just a pass through) is the key the PS# can decode everything for you.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by my65ffrcobra /forum/post/14172414

I don't know what your budget is but a grand should be able to get you a good setup with 5 speakers, a receiver and sub. It will be a good quality setup that will last a long time. The onkyo is a very popular receiver but I would lean more toward the other models listed in the thread mostly because of price, sony hdmi receivers are well priced as well. Like somebody else posted hdmi input (make sure its not just a pass through) is the key the PS# can decode everything for you.

Really a grand?? For an AVR and 5 speakers and a Sub?? I guess it all depends on your definition of "good"

·
Registered
7,648 Posts

Quote:

I've been told before that it is an unwritten rule around AVS that the letters "HTIB" are to never, ever be used unless you happen to be in that forum. They only made that forum so that it would never be mentioned in public again. You have been warned.
joking, of course...separates are much better

The bottom line, though, is that you have to list your budget before anybody can do recmomending for you. Audio gets very expensive. I plan on dropping about $2,500 into my audio setup (including AVR & 5 speakers and a woofer), and I've been putting it off for months now because I find it so hard to part with the money.

Brandon

·
Registered
393 Posts
Why are you asking in the Playstation forum? Do you have a PS3 and want an AV system that is a good fit ?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Yeah I guess a grand is cutting it pretty thin, but can be done. For instance my setup.

Panny xr57 $250

Bic h100 sub $250

Paradigm 5.1 CS inwalls $600

Av123 Xs series 5.1 $686

That gives you $300 that will get you a sony, panny, or maybe a 661 or 4001

Bic HT 64 5.1 setup $800 delivered

$200 amp

Those would all be good systems for around a grand

Mine is certainly not high end but I really like it and can tell a very nice improvement with the lossless codecs.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts