AVS Forum banner

Can you hear the difference between 5.1 and 2.1 with your soundbar?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Other (please post below)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I decided to jump on the JVC TH-BA1 with the intention of passing my HDMI devices through my TV to get 5.1 sound out of my TV via the digital optical port. The reviews I've seen on the LG 55LH90 indicate that it should pass 5.1 via this port.

In any case, I figured I'd poll the audience to see if anyone hears a difference between plugging their soundbar directly into their device's optical port to get 5.1 vs. plugging it into their TV's optical port, for people who only get 2.1 via their TV.

I've spoken with Davyo via PM and he claims that it needs to be plugged into each device as there is a definite difference in audio quality, while I saw a previous post by drfreeman60 that suggests otherwise ( http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post19039808 )

I'm hoping the reports are true for my LG 55LH90 with respect to its optical output, but if I can't hear a difference, it won't matter anwyays, right?

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
ChopChop - On the JVC I can hear a major diffeence when passing bitstream 5.1 from my Blu-Ray vs the 2-ch from either the BR, TV, DVR. This is the first bar that I have heard differences like this. With others (Yamaha, Sony, Vizio) I sometimes thought that I heard a difference, sometimes was not sure. In the end, it did not make enought difference to matter.

In my setup this makes little difference in the surround effect, but can be heard (JVC only) with increased clarity and occasionally sounds that I had not heard from the 2-ch output.

In either case, each soundbar was a major step up in sonic clarity from the built-in speakers that came with the TV. As I would rather hear good sounding mono as opposed to crappy sounding surround (as referenced by most sub-$1,000 HTIB systems), I think the soundbar is a reasonable soluton for anyone who would rather set it and forget it.

As I have often mentioned, I retained two channels of the discrete surround system from my home when I moved to my condo four years ago. This is set up in my sun-room and that is where my wife and I venture to listen to music. Also, in my opinion, good two channel sound beats the heck out of mediocre or worse mutli-channel sound. And, for most musical recordings, two channel is more than adequate to hear everything the artist and producer wanted you to hear.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your feedback.

I guess as an audio noob, even 2.1 sound the JVC may sound amazing to my ears considering I've never done anything outside of TV speakers before (never had a TV above 32 inches either). If it sounds good enough to me, I may just keep it.

Will post my experience in a couple days. My JVC is supposed to be here tomorrow vs. the 1st

·
Registered
4,301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 /forum/post/19565195

Thanks for your feedback.

I guess as an audio noob, even 2.1 sound the JVC may sound amazing to my ears considering I've never done anything outside of TV speakers before (never had a TV above 32 inches either). If it sounds good enough to me, I may just keep it.

Will post my experience in a couple days. My JVC is supposed to be here tomorrow vs. the 1st

The JVC has two optical inputs,,,, so just use one input for your TV and use the other optical input on the JVC for a direct hook-up with your BluRay player.

I know you told me in your PM to me but I forgot,, what sources are you hooking up to your TV,,,,, BluRay, HD cable, PS3 or what ??????

Answering your question's would be a whole lot easier if you let us know what you are hooking up to the JVC or the TV.

Cheers

Davyo

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo /forum/post/19566597

The JVC has two optical inputs,,,, so just use one input for your TV and use the other optical input on the JVC for a direct hook-up with your BluRay player.

I know you told me in your PM to me but I forgot,, what sources are you hooking up to your TV,,,,, BluRay, HD cable, PS3 or what ??????

Answering your question's would be a whole lot easier if you let us know what you are hooking up to the JVC or the TV.

Cheers

Davyo

My cable box has an optical out I believe in addition to HDMI. I should be able to hook the HDMI from that into my TV and the optical separately into my TV, correct?

My HTPC unfortunately only has HDMI, so I will have to use the optical port on my TV to get sound from my HTPC.

Oh, I just realized that my TV only has 1 optical port. I guess I will have to switch the soundbar between the TV and the box depending on which source I am using (or I will need to find an optical splitter).

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
The JVC has two optical ports. You could hook both TV and DVR using optical out.

Does your HTPC carry optical via HDMI? Most PC's use the HDMI for video only. If this were the case, you could go direct from HTPC via optical or RCA to the JVC and have dedicated inputs for all.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfreeman60 /forum/post/19570032

The JVC has two optical ports. You could hook both TV and DVR using optical out.

Does your HTPC carry optical via HDMI? Most PC's use the HDMI for video only. If this were the case, you could go direct from HTPC via optical or RCA to the JVC and have dedicated inputs for all.

My HDMI port outputs 5.1 and Dolby HD. It's a Dell Zino with the discrete video card upgrade (ATI 4330 512 MB). I am going to set up the soundbar tonight and will report back.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, so I got got the soundbar out of the package along with the sub and the pairing and such went just fine.

I connected the optical cable to both the TV and my cable box directly, and let me tell you, the sound coming out of both was simply phenomenal. It really does fill up the room. I really tried to listen for a difference between hooking it up to the TV and hooking it up to my cable box and I really couldn't find it. I tried it on a number of different HD channels, including sports, movies and TV shows.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts