AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so someone at a site I run has a wiring dilemma. He lives in an apartment and is struggling with where to hide his two (tivo) directv cables. Being on the second floor, there is no basement option, and with neighbors on either side, running outside the apartment is also not a viable option.

The image attached is a layout of the apartment. You see where the dish and the TV is, and you can also see the current run of wire. Also, the wire is visible along the wall, which is annoying. Any suggestions on how to hide it?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Is the wall brick? Do they allow you to have a dish? I lived in an appartment with brick walls and they DID allow dishes. The only restriction was that you had to run the cable through the door as they would not allow drilling (right). So 20 minutes later and one 15 inch 3/8 cement cutting drillbit and I was golden. Just make sure to drill through the morter. It's easer to fix when you leave.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the dish is already installed, and getting the cable INTO the house isn't the problem. Getting from the entry point to the TV is where the question comes in.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Is the wall brick? Do they allow you to have a dish? I lived in an appartment with brick walls and they DID allow dishes. The only restriction was that you had to run the cable through the door as they would not allow drilling (right). So 20 minutes later and one 15 inch 3/8 cement cutting drillbit and I was golden. Just make sure to drill through the morter. It's easer to fix when you leave.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
You have a difficult situation as it appears you are crossing doorways. Best I could recommend would be to get some white RG-6 coax (monster and others make it) and replace your runs along the wall baseboards with white coax which does not show as much. If possible your can try to push it under the baseboard. You could also try going through the wall behind your living room tv into that closet (if I read the drawing right) and then going around the inside of that wall. White coax has a better WAF than the black or gray stuff the DTV and Dish people give you.

..Doyle

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
They have those wireless RF signal transmitters that might work. I know a friend that uses one on his DSS. Though, he send the signal from the DSS by one TV to another TV in the bedroom. He could put the box near the entry and send the signal across the room to the TV. Try RatShack for the transmitter/receiver.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Is it possible to remove molding? If so, you could try removing the baseboard molding, placing the wire behind it (there is usually a small gap between the wall board and floor) and replacing the molding.

You can use the same technique around the doorways - remove the casement molding, place the wire between the wallboard and the door jam and replace the casement molding.

Not a very easy installation and you'll need a little more wire than normal but it might work.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
that's a good idea, and I'll suggest it to the guy. My only concern with that is that there are two wires from the dish, since it's connected to a Tivo unit, but I'll let him worry about it.

Keep the ideas coming.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.