AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short, this popcorn bag was pulled from the springs of some antique theater seats I'm restoring. Trying to find out how old this stuff is since it's source is unknown.

One side has the name "Goldwith" and Coca Cola.

The othe side has the saying "Imagine the value of your dollar if everything were as cheap as your theatre ticket."

The bag itself is not paper either. It's almost feels like fabric. Maybe it's just the age.

I'd like to find out where it came from and how old it is. Might end up being a good story to add to my home theatre album. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
484 Posts
it looks like and old paper style popcorn bag. The kind that fold flat with pleated sides.

·
Registered
560 Posts
It actually says:

"Good With Coca Cola"

Reed

·
Registered
739 Posts
This is an interesting find and a neat looking bag. Is The Antique Road Show coming to your town soon?
Those guys come up with some amazing tidbits on obscure items like these.

Ken

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm really trying to find the company Goldwith to see when they were in business. I know the theater seats are old but I can't really date them without getting a few of these clues. Maybe I can contact Coke marketing and see if they have a file on Goldwith or something.

·
Registered
6,208 Posts
I agree, it's a statement "Good With Coca-Cola". This was a co-op from Coca-Cola, my guess.

In other words, Coca-Cola supplied the bags to the theater, free, for buying their product. Buy some popcorn it goes "Good with your Coca-Cola". The theater sells popcorn and Coke sells more product.

Not so "subliminal" advertising if you will.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm in Crockett TX and picked these up from a friend who got them from behind an auction barn locally when he was picking up some old lumber. No clues as to the origin. I'll look for more identifying marks later.

Blevins?

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,588 Posts
From Midlife's link above:

I bought the one case of these that turned up in a warehouse in Tennessee. The case says Blevins noiseless bags on it. The Blevins Popcorn Co. was founded by James Victor Blevins in 1945 and was nationally famous. He trademarked the name Pops-Rite around 1948 and started the Presidential Popcorn Poll, in which movie goers requested a Republican or Democrat box for their popcorn.

http://www.nashvillewebreview.com/au...s/blevins.html

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi - I am Don Wallingford - the owner of the Coke popcorn bags that someone referenced at our website (Old Stuff Only
). I kept seeing references to this site on our stat counter and wondered what it was all about. Anyway, the noiseless popcorn bags are made out of a material that is sort of cloth and sort of paper that would probably look very similar to the material of the bag in the picture if the bag wasn't soiled. The bag in the picture does have the same sort of look as the Blevins bags. I spent a lot of time trying to find out info about the bags I have and it is hard to come by. The things I do know are that Blevins did a lot promotions with theatres when he owned the company from 1948 up until he sold it in 1961. His brand name was Pops-rite (which of course still exists). Since we know that your bag and my bags are both from Tennessee, they both appear to be made of the noiseless bag material, they are both Coke Theatre bags, and they both have the same logo (Good with Coca Cola), I think the odds are extremely high that the bag in question is a variation on the theme. Likely made by Blevins as a joint promotion with Coke and given to the theatres somewhere in the 1950s. I can't prove that, but I would bet on it. - Don

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Don,

Thanks for taking the time to look into this and also coming on the forum to share your insight.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.