AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see people painting stuff and using all kinds of things for screen materials, why not just use a spray can kind of paint? That would be cheap and easy, maybe use 1/4 mdf b/c it kinda soaks up paint anyway, so maybe it would help w/ the smoothness some. Especially w/ multiple coats from pretty far away. Wish I'd committed more vandalism as a youth so I'd know more about spray paint.

how would a screen w/ spray can be best made? I mean maybe a first coat of [insert idea] then another layer [or few] or other colors [gray, other?]...

maybe mdf, maybe ideas for parkland, maybe stretched canvas [is this even affordable?]...

sorry, been drinking a bit and want the EASIEST screen to make. PJ's coming soon and I'm [insert profanity here] broke. :(

plus haven't seen any bright lcd's on ANY screen material, in my LIFE. :( :confused:

So be easy on me guys.

Thanks,

Rob:cool:

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Rob-

I used a piece of masonite, primed it with a two coats of a good spray primer (a white shellac) and thenflat painted it with a roller using a light gray paint . It worked fine and for the last 2 years it has produced a very nice image with my Sony 10HT. I''ve got a new Stewart GrayHawk screen on the way (upgrade bug bit me!!) but my homemade screen has been just fine.

As long as you're very careful not to have any drips, you can use spray paint. Use a primer because that will help seal the wood and make sure you get even coverage with the top coat. Of course, if you want a screen other than white, you'll most likely have to use a roller or brush because you probbaly won't find spray paint in the right color (light gray).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.