AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, in all my searching I have not seen anything about making Hipix do a custome resolution. Do we only have the six pre sets listed in the setup options?

Dean

Live without morality, die without dignity.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Dean,

No custom resolutions, just the options they provide, which are pretty good for most applications.

Bob

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
The 1360x768p mode is basically "custom" .

It didn't exist before the AVSforum HiPix team had access to the source code.

Unfortunately we no longer have access to the driver source required to add any new resolutions.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
too bad. they really should have managed a custom with cpu assistance 1080p

Darius

Live with real morality and have happy kids ?;~)

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
There may be an option, however. Software based HDTV programs, most notably FusionHDTV, are now allowing smooth playback of HDTV streams on systems as low as 1Ghz (my 1G celeron with Radeon 7200 plays back HiPix files in software just fine). So we are entering the world where, just like software based DVD players, you can have any resolution your video card will support.

Bad news: FusionHDTV software is not being sold stand alone (yet, anyway).

Bob

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Has anyone done a comparison of playback performance & quality between FusionHDTV, vlc (a freeware player that plays back HD streams) and WinDVD (which I believe can also play back HD streams)?

Andy K.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Hi, Andy. Been a while. I still use your DVSpoof software almost daily. I cannot convince myself to make the jump to DVHS when the JVC unit is so flakey, and when I can get Digital8 tapes for less than 1/3 the cost per hour of HDTV recording than D-VHS tapes. Thanks again for the great work you did on that program.

I have tested WinDVD, but my HTPC system (1G celeron) was not nearly enough to make it work. Even my 2.4Ghz system would not play back smoothly. I can tell you that the Fusion software (I have only the demo version) played back fine on my HTPC, and that the quality was about the same as the HiPix. I bet I could play with custom resolutions and make it superior to the HiPix, but have not tried yet. I am running 960x540p resolution on my HTPC.

Bob

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
really you can use the fusionhdtv software without the card. say on a 2.0 Ghz laptop with good graphics card/chipset..

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
I have DVHStool with various filters and the Fusion 1 card on my 2.4GHz machine.

I prefer DVHStool with the Elecard2 filters a bit more than with the WinDVD4 filters.

In any case on my 1920x1080p (@72hz) display I find that DVHStool + Elecard2 filters produces a slightly sharper picture than the Fusion 1 software.

Also the Fusion software will not parse multiple HiPix files (but DVHStool does!).

I just use the Fusion software to play back "BS" encoded tapes (with AAC audio) through my Mitsubishi D-VHS.

The HiPix decoding all runs in the Terralogic Janus chip, so there is no practical way to have some "CPU assist" on HiPix output ports. The guy(s) who did the 1360x768p resolution said that the Janus chip was "maxed out" doing that resolution, and is incapable of doing 1920x1080p output. They said "the dot clock is just too high". We even toyed with the idea of overclocking the HiPix, but nothing ever came of it.

DVHStool is the way to go in the future.

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
The Fusion demo software runs on any machine.

The real version (with no timelimit) seems to check for the card to be present or it won't run.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
i should know this but have not been following closly can dvhstools do deinterlacing to progressive? and if so how, by removing the 3:2 if the streams are flaggeed correctly

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
DVHStool supports different "filters" from DVD programs - like Ravisent (Cineplayer), Intervideo (WinDVD4) and Elecard. Those filters do deinterlace (to 1080p if your display supports it) and they do do 3:2 removal on correctly flagged streams.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
i see , so dumb question so dvhstool filters don't or do deinterlace? or if so how. sorry and thanks very interesting ,,

also I have heard of the elecard filters is that a typo, or are there elecard2 filters and if so were and how can they be obtained

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
The filters can be configured for different deinterlace options. I typically use Elecard 2 decoder with "software deinterlace" checked. I think it is basically a "bob" type of deinterlace.

It also has a "postprocess" option which I leave unchecked because my system doesn't have a fast enough CPU to do that in realtime.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.