AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have been looking at the svs speakers and especially the ultras. The only problem is the size of the ultra towers wont fit in my HT as I have it set up now. The primes will fit. Would it make sense to get the prime towers and ultra center and surrounds? Thanks!

·
Registered
483 Posts
A number of SVS owners have mixed the Ultra center and prime bookshelves with very good results. Also, many HT enthuiasts advocate spending more on the center because that is where most of the dialogue and sound in a movie is directed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats the way I feel about the center. Plus I figure it wouldnt hurt to get the ultra surrounds. I wish I had room for the towers. I would need to raise my tv. I have a sloping ceiling and the left side would only be about 5 inches from the top. I have a game room I could move everything to but its solid white and has a big window in the middle plus its open on one side where a surround would have to go and thats also in a high traffic area .

·
Registered
483 Posts
Unless you need the function of the dipole/bipole Ultra surrounds, the Prime bookshelves and satellites should work well as surounds.

Describe your room and desired layout to the reps at SVS and they should help you find the optimal surrounds for your situation. SVS has been known to recommend less expensive speakers when they are the best solution.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Hello, I have been looking at the svs speakers and especially the ultras. The only problem is the size of the ultra towers wont fit in my HT as I have it set up now. The primes will fit. Would it make sense to get the prime towers and ultra center and surrounds? Thanks!
Does it make sense to get the Prime towers with the Ultra center and surrounds?? I'm not 100% sure... but I'm about to find out :).

I ordered this exact configuration from SVS and they shipped yesterday and will be arriving 1 week from today (due to cross-country shipping and the US holiday weekend).

I just cancelled an existing 5.0 order with another ID company after numerous delays with their new product launch & zero replies from their customer service department to my emails and voicemails. I ordered those in early March and they are being delayed yet again for another 8 weeks. They are going to sell a ton of those speakers but they're just not ready for prime time yet.

With regards to SVS, their customer service manager Jack has been responding to my emails from within minutes (to just a few business hours) and after I placed my ordered they shipped in less than 24 hrs, and they emailed me all the details complete with tracking #s - great customer service!!

I was considering the full Ultra line but for the medium term (about 1 year) I must place the new towers in the exact same location as my existing (front radiating) towers - and the Ultra towers' dual side-radiating 8 inch woofers would be blocked by furniture on both sides and thereby completely ruining their sound. With the Prime towers being front direct radiating (like my existing towers) this won't be an issue.

The furniture on either side is only about 2' tall and the Prime towers will be extended about 6" further into the listen space so the high and mid sound stage won't be greatly effected, and the back of the towers will be about 24" from the front wall and crossed over @ 80hz to (2) PB2000 - so minimal issues with the rear ports. I have REV Room Acoustics sw & Audyssey XT32 and I'm getting good results with the existing towers so I expect the Primer towers to perform well in that location also.

The reason I'm going with the Ultra center (in my experience) one needs the best handling/performing center they can get in order to compete with the other 6.2 (or more) speakers during reference HT listening (and I have never regretted upgrading my center speaker). In addition, I never have to say,"what did they say?" during action/adventure movies (playing at full throttle) when the lead character cracks a funny one-liner (I'm thinking of you Deadpool).

With regards to the Ultra surrounds, my previous system was a 7.2 that I really enjoyed but my new home's configuration doesn't currently lend itself to 4 separate surround speakers so I plan on running the Ultra surrounds in Duet mode. If Duet mode doesn't work out as advertised, then I'll try Bipole and Dipole configurations and if I'm still not satisfied then I'll return them for the standard bookshelf or satellite models - so lots of options.

In 1 year, once my room configuration changes (giving me more speaker placement options, think room extension) I'll either keep the Prime towers or use the SVS Bill of Rights and upgrade to the Ultra towers, so either way win-win!

With the Prime/Ultra configuration my only concern is how well matched the front stage timbre will be. SVS assures me that they blend/match well so I'm willing to give them a home trial, and if for some reason I don't agree, then I'll work with their customer service and use their Bill of Rights to make things sound right or return them.

If you're interested I'll keep you posted and let me know if you have any questions. In the meantime, I'm interested in why you are considering Prime/Ultras vs an all Prime configuration?

·
Registered
905 Posts
I am also curious. I will be purchasing speakers for a HT setup in the near future (next couple months) and SVS speakers are on my list of prospects.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Would it make sense to get the prime towers and ultra center and surrounds? Thanks!
I believe if you call SVS they'll tell you that the Prime series and the Ultra series tambre-matches... so yes, I believe you can mix-and-match without tonal/coloring issues.

Unless you need the function of the dipole/bipole Ultra surrounds, the Prime bookshelves and satellites should work well as surounds.
I have a similar question for the OP. It is not clear to me if you are discussing getting the Ultra Bookshelves or the bipole/dipole surround-sound-specific Ultra Speakers.

If you want to try that that bipole/dipole affect, then sure. I don't believe they offer that kind of bipole/dipole speaker in the Prime series... I have no experience with bipole/dipole speakers, so I can't speak on this.

But if you're talking about the Ultra Bookshelf, I personally would not advocate for spending $1000 on this kind of rear surround sound speaker, unless you are not making any sacrifices/cost-cuttings anywhere else in your system. If you can take some of that $1000 and upgrade to a bigger beefier better-built subwoofer, or if you can improve on your power source such that you have more juice to drive those Prime Towers (rated up to 250 watts, I believe), I'd spend that money there first. JMO.

But if you've got plenty of subwoofer to cross those Primes into, and if you have plenty of power to drive this system with, then by all means, spend as you see fit!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I was talking about the dipole/bipole speakers. I have an svs 16-46PC sub now and am planning on adding a pc12. That was recommended by svs. I have not asked them about speaker advice yet. I have a Yamaha rx-a750 receiver. I thought I was going to be able to sell my old speakers and go ahead and get the whole set up from svs at one time but its not looking likely now. So I'll probably do the sub first then towers then center then surrounds.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Does it make sense to get the Prime towers with the Ultra center and surrounds?? I'm not 100% sure... but I'm about to find out :).

I ordered this exact configuration from SVS and they shipped yesterday and will be arriving 1 week from today (due to cross-country shipping and the US holiday weekend).

I just cancelled an existing 5.0 order with another ID company after numerous delays with their new product launch & zero replies from their customer service department to my emails and voicemails. I ordered those in early March and they are being delayed yet again for another 8 weeks. They are going to sell a ton of those speakers but they're just not ready for prime time yet.

With regards to SVS, their customer service manager Jack has been responding to my emails from within minutes (to just a few business hours) and after I placed my ordered they shipped in less than 24 hrs, and they emailed me all the details complete with tracking #s - great customer service!!

I was considering the full Ultra line but for the medium term (about 1 year) I must place the new towers in the exact same location as my existing (front radiating) towers - and the Ultra towers' dual side-radiating 8 inch woofers would be blocked by furniture on both sides and thereby completely ruining their sound. With the Prime towers being front direct radiating (like my existing towers) this won't be an issue.

The furniture on either side is only about 2' tall and the Prime towers will be extended about 6" further into the listen space so the high and mid sound stage won't be greatly effected, and the back of the towers will be about 24" from the front wall and crossed over @ 80hz to (2) PB2000 - so minimal issues with the rear ports. I have REV Room Acoustics sw & Audyssey XT32 and I'm getting good results with the existing towers so I expect the Primer towers to perform well in that location also.

The reason I'm going with the Ultra center (in my experience) one needs the best handling/performing center they can get in order to compete with the other 6.2 (or more) speakers during reference HT listening (and I have never regretted upgrading my center speaker). In addition, I never have to say,"what did they say?" during action/adventure movies (playing at full throttle) when the lead character cracks a funny one-liner (I'm thinking of you Deadpool).

With regards to the Ultra surrounds, my previous system was a 7.2 that I really enjoyed but my new home's configuration doesn't currently lend itself to 4 separate surround speakers so I plan on running the Ultra surrounds in Duet mode. If Duet mode doesn't work out as advertised, then I'll try Bipole and Dipole configurations and if I'm still not satisfied then I'll return them for the standard bookshelf or satellite models - so lots of options.

In 1 year, once my room configuration changes (giving me more speaker placement options, think room extension) I'll either keep the Prime towers or use the SVS Bill of Rights and upgrade to the Ultra towers, so either way win-win!

With the Prime/Ultra configuration my only concern is how well matched the front stage timbre will be. SVS assures me that they blend/match well so I'm willing to give them a home trial, and if for some reason I don't agree, then I'll work with their customer service and use their Bill of Rights to make things sound right or return them.

If you're interested I'll keep you posted and let me know if you have any questions. In the meantime, I'm interested in why you are considering Prime/Ultras vs an all Prime configuration?

Hey there...I know this is a really old thread but wondering how you enjoyed the SVS Ultra/ Prime combo. I am just doing the same set up on order now. Utra center with prime towers. Thanks :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts