AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was under the impression that 1080p required the use of DVI/HDMI. Am I wrong? Are there any TV's that accept a 1080p signal via component?

The reason I ask is because if it doesn't then how can the cheap version of the PS3 output 1080p with now HDMI port?

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
you're not wrong.

component won't do 1080p

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well thats very intersting. So not all ps3's will do 1080p then.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinch /forum/post/0

you're not wrong.

component won't do 1080p

Component will do 1080p all day long! The problem is that HDTVs need new hardware to display it. Component video cables will go to a horizontal resolution of 2160 @ 30 frames per second in very short distances (1 meter or less) but it will send the video through its pipe.

Component is a very robust system with one problem, Hollywood can't control it.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
I think he means it won't do it for AACS contracted devices, such as Blu-ray and HD DVD. It's not allowed by spec.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chap /forum/post/0

Are there any TV's that accept a 1080p signal via component?

There are displays that accept 1080p over VGA .

·
Registered
562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chap /forum/post/0

I was under the impression that 1080p required the use of DVI/HDMI. Am I wrong? Are there any TV's that accept a 1080p signal via component?

The reason I ask is because if it doesn't then how can the cheap version of the PS3 output 1080p with now HDMI port?

It wont. The first gen games will all run at 720p and then maybe 1080i later on. Even if they do start running at 1080p, you will always have the option to change the output to whatever your PS3 can output or your TV can accept. And copy protection wont be active when playing a game, only for movies.

·
Registered
109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintit77 /forum/post/0

Component will do 1080p all day long! The problem is that HDTVs need new hardware to display it. Component video cables will go to a horizontal resolution of 2160 @ 30 frames per second in very short distances (1 meter or less) but it will send the video through its pipe.

Component is a very robust system with one problem, Hollywood can't control it.

So does the signal start to degrade over that 1 meter mark? Is there a noticable difference between component and HDMI at 1080p at 1meter? At 2-4 meters?

Most experts say that the difference between a 1080i component and HDMI isn't really noticable, does this change with 1080p sources?

Seems the main problem is whenever movie studios decide to turn on the token system.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
The Westinghouse LVM-42w2 is specified as accepting 1080p over component.

This means that any of the PS3 video games that are 1080p capable can be paired with that display for 1080p over component. Yes, it is possible.

·
Registered
109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated /forum/post/0

The Westinghouse LVM-42w2 is specified as accepting 1080p over component.

This means that any of the PS3 video games that are 1080p capable can be paired with that display for 1080p over component. Yes, it is possible.

Do some 1080p displays not accept 1080p over component?

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
I need to dig up the quote, and then the spec. kjack indicated that 1080i was as high as analog component went in the official specs.

Later,

Bill

·
Registered
109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursa /forum/post/0

I need to dig up the quote, and then the spec. kjack indicated that 1080i was as high as analog component went in the official specs.

Later,

Bill

Wikipedia states 1080p as the max
Not like that's a end all source though...

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Component 1080i is the max that AACS will allow over component.

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
For this academic discusssion, I am more curious what SMPTE and/or the ITU have to say on the matter. However, AACS is also pretty clear here.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
The probelm is not the component signal.

That signal will do 1080p60 without any problems.

BUT the licenses governing BD-ROM A/V do NOT allow 1080p outputs on analog connectors. The maximum permissible output resolution is 1080i60. This has nothing to do with the ICT flag btw, so it doesn't matter if ICT=0 or ICT=1.

Also keep in mind that the provisions in the BD-ROM A/V license do NOT extent to PS3 games, so the games might output 1080p over component if Sony chose to allow that.

·
Registered
23,188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kschmit2 /forum/post/0

Also keep in mind that the provisions in the BD-ROM A/V license do NOT extent to PS3 games, so the games might output 1080p over component if Sony chose to allow that.

I think it is unlikely though, partially because doing something like that would mostly be for high end customers and since HDMI supports 1080p, the number of high end people who would demand 1080p over component is pretty limited. Put another way, the main reason people are asking is because the cheaper system doesn't have HDMI, but most of the customers who are likely to demand 1080p wouldn't be likely to worry about the $100 difference and Sony wants people to buy the more expensive system anyway.

--Darin

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Im disapointed that Sony is even making a version without HDMI.

·
Registered
742 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrolop /forum/post/0

Im disapointed that Sony is even making a version without HDMI.

I'm not touching a PS3 w/out component. No matter how clever they get with resolutions/formats, I'm not buying a TV just to get HDMI support.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
The higher end one still has the Sony A/V output, which would be component. Not like its an either or situation.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts