AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 5000 with modulator I want to keep until they kill it. I am not looking for any refunds or credits, I got my monies worth from it. I would also like to buy a 6000 with 8psk. Can you have both on an account. I remember something about them shutting off a 5000 if you buy a 6000 with 8psk. True?

·
Registered
9,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by John Tillman
I've got a 6k w/8psk & a 5k w/ no modulator. 5k still works fine. How would they know if it did have a modulator?
Because you tell them your configuration when you activate. At least I did three years ago. Plus I have CBS HD and you need to specificly request that. So their records show I have a 5000. To get HD I must have a modulator too.

I realize you can still use your 5000 as an SD receiver. I am really asking if they disable HD on your 5000 rceiver if you get a 6000 with 8psk.

·
Registered
9,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just talked to dish. 5000+modulator owners can get a 6000U upgrade for $149. the "U" means it includes the 8psk module. The 8vsb OTA tuner is still optional at $149.

-and-

YOU CAN STILL KEEP YOUR 5000 AND USE IT FOR HDTV UNTIL NO LONGER SUPPORTED!

This is a pretty good deal. Seems like they are taking care of their old 5000 customers.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
I have a 6000 w/8VSB and a 5000 w/mod.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Quote:
Seems like they are taking care of their old 5000 customers.
This promotion has nothing to do with the 5000. They are clearing out the refurb stock of 6000's so they can launch their new HD package with hardware that is actually available to customers until the 811 and 921 are ready (eta November).

When 4PSK transmission goes out for the 5000 mod I would expect Dish would offer a trade-up promotion to the 921 so owners do not lose another HD capable STB and are also still able to record and timeshift HD again.

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
Quote:
When 4PSK transmission goes out for the 5000 mod I would expect Dish would offer a trade-up promotion to the 921 so owners do not lose another HD capable STB and are also still able to record and timeshift HD again.
Don't get your hopes up, as the 5000 + modulator was never meant for recording in the first place. The $249 modulator was discontinued before any of the current D-VHS products hit the market (only the Panasonic D-VHS existed at the time, and Dish wasn't terribly happy about people using it to record from the 5000). Moreover, the first production run of 921s will reportedly be sold at a $450 loss per unit.

·
Registered
9,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by bfdtv
Dish wasn't terribly happy about people using it to record from the 5000
Do you have a official quote for that?

I don't think they said either way. They sure didn't advertise it but they didn't do anything to stop it either. The 5000 was killed when the 6000 became available. That was the official reason. anything else is a conspiracy theroy. If they really cared about recording they could have easily shut down HDTV reception on all 5000 receivers and forced upgrades to the 6000 long ago.

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
No, I don't have an official / public quote.

However, there is a reason they designed the 811 to make a 169time mod (or one like it) difficult; there is also a reason why they are restricting the 921's Firewire output to D-VHS products supporting 5C.
Quote:
The 5000 was killed when the 6000 became available.
Are you sure about that? My recollection is that they released the 5000 modulator in October 1999 and discontinued it circa May 2000, while the 6000 wasn't available until January 2001.

·
Registered
9,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
No, I don't have an official / public quote.

However, there is a reason they designed the 811 to make a 169time mod (or one like it) difficult; there is also a reason why they are restricting the 921's Firewire output to D-VHS products supporting 5C.

Are you sure about that? My recollection is that they released the 5000 modulator in October 1999 and discontinued it circa May 2000, while the 6000 wasn't available until January 2001.
I'm not disputing the fact that they are sensitive to "in the clear" recording. That comes from their program suppliers. Surely they aren't going to make it easy and have to adhere to 5C and HDCP if the want to include those options on their products. But the 5000's ability to record was an unforeseen benefit by those that designed it. In the grand scheme of things I don't think the limited number of 5000 owners that also could record was ever considered a piracy threat. JMO on that.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Quote:
My recollection is that they released the 5000 modulator in October 1999 and discontinued it circa May 2000, while the 6000 wasn't available until January 2001.
The 6000 came out in June 2000.

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
vic,

Thanks for the correction, I just looked and the official release announcement was indeed June 20, 2000. I based my previous post on the CES 2001 "best new hdtv product" press release.

I still believe it is unrealistic for module owners to expect an extra discount or promotion on the 921.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Yeah, I specifically remember the date because mine came out of that first batch, and that was also about the time I started frequenting these parts.

Actually, I guess one could say that the 6000 didn't become a complete STB until the release of the OTA module in December 2000.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Quote:
I still believe it is unrealistic for module owners to expect an extra discount or promotion on the 921.
I don't think it's realistic that Dish will just take a legacy HD receiver, completely obsolete it, and not offer a working replacement or promotional offer on a 921. I would also suspect that most 5000/mod owners already have a 6000 (or two) for the extra 8PSK HD channel programming, and have little interest in an 811 without the ability to timeshift.

I personally would have accepted an 811 if it still had DisWire to archive to my JVC deck, but now have no other choice than the significantly more expensive 921 going forward since I don't have a Mits display. Given that the cable providers will have to offer STB's with firewire outputs, this will be an attractive and cost-effective alternative for HD archiving.

I also wouldn't expect a drastic difference between hacking Dishwire on an 811 vs a 921 except for the added cost of the unit. If anything, the 921 with a hard drive interface and the least expensive 211 with a true firewire interface would be more vulnerable.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Quote:
Dish wasn't terribly happy about people using it to record from the 5000
I can confirm this is true from my conversation with my E* source. It pissed Hollywood off and they came down on DISH.

·
Registered
9,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Stevens
I can confirm this is true from my conversation with my E* source. It pissed Hollywood off and they came down on DISH.
So why didn't they kill HDTV reception on the 5000 and give all modulator owners a 6000. It very easy to do, just disable HD channels on the 5000 in it's guide. The CAS has that ability. That would have easily fixed it. Obviously th pressure from Hollywood was not enough to warrant that finnancial hit.

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
Glimmie,

Just because they didn't like it doesn't mean they were concerned about it enough, with the limited base of users, to disable it with all the negative feedback that would result from customers. And Dish did probably get rid of most modulators by offering the trade-in program for the 6000 back in early 2002(?).

·
Registered
142 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Glimmie
So why didn't they kill HDTV reception on the 5000 and give all modulator owners a 6000. It very easy to do, just disable HD channels on the 5000 in it's guide. The CAS has that ability. That would have easily fixed it. Obviously th pressure from Hollywood was not enough to warrant that finnancial hit.
they pretty much have done that anyhow by going to 8PSK the 5000 is unable to decode these channels so what channels are 5000 owners able to receive? besides the Demo and HBO and SHowtime they can't get Disc HD theater,ESPN, or HDNET's Also seen this in another thread

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0&pagenumber=4

Dish is also offering a free 8VSB module with paid shipping for the 149.00 price for the 6000U maynot appease the HD customers who want to record

but a pretty good offer none the less (Check out the last post in thread)

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Quote:
And Dish did probably get rid of most modulators by offering the trade-in program for the 6000 back in early 2002(?).
I doubt many took that deal when the modulators were going for $300-500 on ebay. But I did see mention of a few folks willing to trade theirs in towards a 921 with Dish Depot. That was of course before Diswire was known.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Glimmie
So why didn't they kill HDTV reception on the 5000 and give all modulator owners a 6000. It very easy to do, just disable HD channels on the 5000 in it's guide. The CAS has that ability. That would have easily fixed it. Obviously th pressure from Hollywood was not enough to warrant that financial hit.
Because Panasonic pulled their D-VHS deck from the market after getting some serious threats from Hollywood. With no decks available, other than the ones sold, it was no longer a real concern. Of course, a few years later JVC released the 30K, but they were in the position to do whatever they wanted for obvious reasons. The 5000 will soon be bye bye anyway.

Amazingly enough, HBO and Showtime still do not use 5C and have NO PLANS to do so!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.