AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just ordered a matte white model b screen for my 75u. I chose this screen mainly for the price and because I don't have a dedicated room for a DIY fixed screen. The only problem is that I'd like a gray screen to enhance contrast. Has anyone tried painting a matte white model b (gray)?

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
We actually used a Model B and painted it black to act as masking. It worked pretty well. The only issue is that it can potentially start curling pretty bad. Also, make sure that it drys for a good long time before retracting it into the case, otherwise it will stick and become a real mess.

Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jason,

Thanks for the reply.

Can you tell me what kind of paint you used and how you painted it?

Sean

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Latex flat (gain of 1.0), eggshell (gain of 1.1), or satin (gain of 1.2) in light gray (Snowfield for Behr brand at Home Depot is what a lot of people used to mimic Grayhawk). You can also have them mix the paint to match if you can get samples of Firehawk, Grayhawk, Dalite HCCV, or Dalite HC. Remember the lighter the gray the better the color punch and brightness and the darker the gray the dimmer the image but blacks and contrast will improve too. The gloss of the paint does help the brightness but the whites will still be subdued depending on how gray you make your screen.

Pull screen out maximally and mask the roll case and down-rod using duct tape (stronger adhesions yet comes off easier than masking tape) while still hung on ceiling. Lay down drop cloth allowing 1 foot minimum border around screen to protect floor. Lay screen in middle of drop cloth. Find the smoothest 12" roller (faster painting than 9" roller) you can find and attach to extension handle. Pour the paint into 12" rolling pan. Dip the roller in the pan and remove excess paint by rolling on the ridges of the pan. Start at center of screen and roll vertically back and forth allowing roller to go off screen onto drop cloth and work outward. If roller starts to leave fuzz behind then switch with new roller (foam rollers are best as they don't leave fuzz and are smoother but hard to find especially in 12" size). When done put some fans down to speed drying. Let dry for 24 hours before hanging screen back up and removing the masking duct tape. Black duct tape is great for converting white case and downrod into black (painting them black is riskier for contaminating your screen). Spraying is better if you have access to a Wagner Power Sprayer though technique is more important for even coating.

Let screen dry for at least 1 week before attempting to roll screen back into case (preferably let screen stay down for good as you take a chance of ruining your paint job with scratches, cracks, etc.). Acrylic primer is an option but not a necessity. Flow additives give you more time to paint and to avoid rolling strokes (thins the paint and delays drying time to allow paint to blend together for a smoother finish--no orange peel).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.