AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
with either hd-dvd or blu-ray, would it be possible to have 1 encoding of the film at oar on disc and then create pan&scan off that encoding? and i don't mean just cut off equal amounts of the sides for the whole film, but a small file that'll tell the player how much of each side to cut off for every frame.

i think this would please everyone and we wouldn't have to deal with multiple aspect ratio releases of a film (super widescreen, full widescreen, fullscreen, etc)

· Registered
949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by draggoon01 /forum/post/0

with either hd-dvd or blu-ray, would it be possible to have 1 encoding of the film at oar on disc and then create pan&scan off that encoding? and i don't mean just cut off equal amounts of the sides for the whole film, but a small file that'll tell the player how much of each side to cut off for every frame.

i think this would please everyone and we wouldn't have to deal with multiple aspect ratio releases of a film (super widescreen, full widescreen, fullscreen, etc)

We don't have to deal with multiple aspect ratios on HD. To my knowledge, there are only OAR releases being sold. As such, the problem is already solved. If you want a less wide image, use the aspect ratio controls on your display.

· Registered
30,394 Posts
The "No black bars people" should just get over their ignorance and learn to accept watching movies in their Original Aspect Ratios. That's really as simple as it can get. There's nothing more to it than that.

· Registered
4,715 Posts
Yep, zooming should be the only option that way pepole will get used to OAR. And those that want OAR don't have to wade thew piles of fullscreen.

As far as their being a way to automaticly take a OAR movie and progesivly alter it to 16/9 on the fly would be imposible. Their are many scences that have had to be reshot for fullscreen. Or for example when two pepole are talking. In the FS version you may have thr camera pan back and fourth between the two. Vs q WS version would have both within the shot..

· Registered
93 Posts
What is the contrast ratio of your set? Getting a HDTV with a high contrast ration could be the answer to your problem. I honestly do not see any bars when playing movies. The black bars merge into the black case on my HDTV. Maybe your brightness is up to high or your ambient light in the room is too much. I would look for that type of a solution.

· Registered
732 Posts
Corpse Bride on HD-DVD has a built in 'zoom' function (2/4/8x IIRC ) that you can then move around the zoomed in area with the cursor buttons on the remote.. kind of a silly feature :p

In theory I'm sure HDi could be used to zoom the video like this and pan/scan from a stored centering/scaling script for pan/scan.

Not that I care.. give me OAR!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.