AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using DVD-WMV to archive my DVDs on my Vista Media Center box and stream them to my XBo 360 via the Media Center Extender function. However, I'm not able to play the resultant wmv which I can find no logical reason for. Here is an example:
http://download.yousendit.com/EC06E02E069DBFD0

Could someone who is running a similar set up try and see if they can play this file?

·
Registered
158 Posts
I just tried to play the file and I was also unsuccessful.

I'm not sure what the problem is. You have Windows Media 9 (WMV3) for the Video and Windows Media Audio Pro 10 for the Audio. This should work.

Are there other encoding options for you to use in that application? Perhaps you can try Windows Media 9 Advanced profile for the video (WVC1) or Windows Media Audio 9?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, at least it's not just me then. DVD-WMV uses Windows Media Encoder 9. I am able to modify the profile directly with WME9 and have DVD-WMV use the new profile. I'll have to start playing with settings to see what I can get to work. If anyone has a good WME9 profile for streaming to the 360 in Vista Media Extender mode, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Also, I'm pretty sure I was able to play files created this way before I upgraded to Vista. Are you using Vista or MCE2005? Maybe someone using MCE2005 could give it a try as well.

·
Registered
764 Posts
File played fine for me using WMP11. I'll have to check out the whole movie.

BT

·
Registered
158 Posts
One thing I didn't try was using the media player through the Xbox 360 blade interface (the non-extender interface). Maybe you can try that and see if it makes any difference.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Just to add to your confusion I played the file two different ways. I don't know if this will tell you anything but here goes.

First I downloaded to Windows Home Server then played back using WMP11 on XP Pro machine to Pioneer Elite receiver. The video looked good and the receiver identified the audio as WMA Pro.

I then played back through XBox 360 Media Blade. Video looked fine but receiver identified audio as DD since stupid 360 won't output WMA Pro even though it is supposed to. Really odd thing was file name showed as ">" in 360 menu. I even changed name on server but it didn't make any change.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is just so dumb. This is a Microsoft file format on a Microsoft machine. It should just work! I'll try playing the file via the media blade later.

·
Registered
55 Posts
does this link help answer the question?

http://www.dvd-wmv.com/Forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=288

Quote:
I came across this error when trying to play back WMV files encoded from DVD using DVD-WMV via Media Center on my Xbox 360. I only noticed the problem using an Xbox as a media center extender with Vista (I'm not sure I had this issue with XP Media Center Edition), and only with files encoded using DVD-WMV. It took me a long time to track down the solution so here is what I found. I hope it helps some of you:

1. There are two solutions to this error message proposed on the Microsoft web site. I don't have a link (perhaps someone else could post this if they know it), but searching on key words in the error message / Xbox 360 media center etc should turn up the Microsoft proposed solutions. Neither of the Microsoft solutions worked for me however.

2. The solution I found relates to a problem with the properties of the individual WMV file created by DVD-WMV. Frequently you get '>' as the title property (not the file name) of the WMV file when you encode a DVD to WMV using DVD-WMV. I'm not sure why this happens - possibly this occurs if you look up the details of the DVD you are encoding using IMDB. Files with this character in the title property seem to cause the above error message when played back on an Xbox 360 acting as a Media Center extender with Windows Vista. Not sure why this occurs, however it is easily corrected. Simply right click on the WMV file in Windows Explorer, select Properties. In the properties dialog box, select the 'Details' tab. If the Title of the file in this details tab shows as '>' either just delete it or change it to something else (pretty much anything else is fine). Try the file again on your Xbox via media center (no need to restart anything) it should now work fine. Note - this is the title property of the WMV file that needs to be changed (nothing to do with the file name, though sometimes these are set to be the same.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts