AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, We just built a home theater in my basement. The room size is 12 X 18 and has double sheet rock walls and carpet flooring. I am also planning to buy few acoustic panels ( 2X4 feet ) and hang them on the walls. I need your expertise in buying a 5.1 or 7.1 speaker system. Would like towers for front speakers and others can be any size. If this includes receiver that will be great if not you can suggest me something under 1800 including all speakers and receivers. I am not a serious audiophile but would like something nice in the theater. Intend to watch movies mostly.

Thank you for your suggestions,

·
Registered
1,679 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by max1973  /t/1468687/can-you-please-suggest-a-7-1-or-5-1-speaker-for-home-theater-under-1500#post_23214024

Hi, We just built a home theater in my basement. The room size is 12 X 18 and has double sheet rock walls and carpet flooring. I am also planning to buy few acoustic panels ( 2X4 feet ) and hang them on the walls. I need your expertise in buying a 5.1 or 7.1 speaker system. Would like towers for front speakers and others can be any size. If this includes receiver that will be great if not you can suggest me something under 1800 including all speakers and receivers. I am not a serious audiophile but would like something nice in the theater. Intend to watch movies mostly.

Thank you for your suggestions,

Some Primus speakers when they go on sale:

http://www.crutchfield.com/shopsearch/primus.html

When they are on sale the prices are:

P363=200

P253=150

P163=86

PC351=200

I have a Primus system in a similarly sized room and it works well.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1285022/opinions-on-speakers-for-an-11x17-room-please

Given the size of your space, I would probably spend more money on better bookshelf speakers than towers. Also, sticking with better but fewer speakers, that is 5.1 versus 7.1 might make some sense.

As for a sub, something from HSU, Outlaw, Rythmik, Power Sound, etc would be a good choice.

Then a receiver that fits your budget.

This is just one suggestion, they are loads of others options.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts