AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In reading up on the ICBM it appears that it was designed to go between a SACD player and a receiver/prepro.

Are there any problems putting between a prepro and the amps?

·
Registered
30,801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP /forum/post/18304718

In reading up on the ICBM it appears that it was designed to go between a SACD player and a receiver/prepro.

Are there any problems putting between a prepro and the amps?

None whatever. In fact, that earlier suggestion is simply a reflection of the situations at the time the ICBM was developed when it was assumed that people had only one MCH source needing bass management. Time marches on.

I always used the ICBM between processor and amps for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kal,

Do you have a link that would show how your system is setup?

What I think I want to try to do is to run my speakers as large and use an ICBM to redirect bass to a musical subwoofer. Then use a home theater sub for LFE from the sub out of my prepro. I've tested my B&K Ref 50 and confirm that the sub out receives the full LFE signal (at least to 100hz) via the sub output. I did this with the Avia LFE signal test tone. This setup was written about by Bossobass several years ago where he maintained that regardless of what manufacturers say, you can't have both a sub that excells for both home theater and music at the same time. Its entirely possible that advances have been made where that's no longer true. I've been unable to reach Bossobass to see if his thoughts have changed on this.(Edit: just heard from bossobass. Seems that sound mixers are putting LFE into the front LR channels along with bass so there's no way to seperate the two)

So that's where I'm coming from on this. Any thoughts?

Also an associated question, the music that is on movie and TV content....how low does the frequency response go????

·
Registered
15,090 Posts
My impression is that the consensus on the AVS forum is that a high quality subwoofer will work equally well for music and for HT.

Most people have to compromise, though. HT low frequencies (explosions, etc.) tend to go quite a bit lower than most music. Only the lowest pipe-organ notes are comparable. Because you're being distracted by the visuals, the audio produced for an HT session tends not to need to be as accurate as when you're listening to music without visuals. So a "boomy" subwoofer that can produce lower frequencies tends to be better for action movies than it is for music.

p.s. The low frequency effects for movies sometimes go quite a bit lower than what your ears can hear -- 15 Hz has been reported. That low a frequency you tend to feel rather than hear. Music tends to have its lowest frequencies around 30Hz or so.

See http://www.bosendorfer-audio.co.uk/f..._of_music.html

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Selden,

Thanks for posting.

I'm fairly familiar with what conventional thinking is but after reading Bossobass's pdf, I couldn't help but think that maybe he's right.

I've had several subs. Two of these subs were the Velodyne HGS 15 and SVS PB Ultra 13. So, these weren't wimpy subs.

I'm just persuing an alternative based on what a respected subwoofer guru had written.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
I've been unable to reach Bossobass to see if his thoughts have changed on this.

Bosso has posted in the last couple of days.

I wonder if he has that same opinion about his Raven designs?

·
Registered
30,801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP /forum/post/18305041

Do you have a link that would show how your system is setup?

Nope. I have not used the ICBM in many years as I do not think it is necessary with modern equipment.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts