AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be buying a 34" direct view HDTV, and i was wondering if you guys could recommend a few DVD players that will fully exploit the visuals of one of these televisions. I don't necessarily need a top of the line DVD player...just want the prettiest picture possible. If it takes top of the line products to achieve the best video, then that's fine, too.

I have a few more questions...

Is the quality of video entirely independent of the receiver?

Who makes the best component cables? Is the silver serpent on bettercables.com one of the best?

Who makes the best cables in general?

Thanks a lot for your time and input.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I have heard a LOT of good things about the Panasonic RP-91 ( Good Online Price )
Quote:
Is the quality of video entirely independent of the receiver?
I am not sure what you exactly meant by that.

Monster Cable, Better Cables, and a few more (find by doing a search) are great companies for component and other video cables.

Monster Cable has supposedly the best picture, but many people don't like the high prices of the cables.

I hope this helps,

HDCblGuy

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That DVD player's pretty nice, but i think i like the pioneer one better! :)

I think i already know the answer to the question about the receiver...I was just asking whether or not the quality of my receiver will affect the quality of the picture on my HDTV. I was thinking "no" all along, but i wanted to make sure because my receiver isn't the greatest. As far as i know, the only thing that affects the picture quality is the quality of the DVD player and the cables...correct? Oh and the particular DVD movie of course.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had seen the hometheaterhifi.com article that included the Elite model but decided to order the DV-37 based on additional research (should arrive latter this week) The Perfect Vision did a DVD Player Buyer's Guide and gave the DV-37 a five star rating. There were three other players (out of 34) that received the five stars with prices between $3,495 and $16,000. The DV-37 has a list of $1,000 but can be found on the net for as low as $560.

In a separate article on the DV-37, Lawrence Ullman stated that "the DV-37 rewards with an amazingly film-like picture. And unlike many players, "film-like" here is not a euphemism for "soft". Colors and textures are beautifully natural, and the nearly silent background gives the overall picture an almost 3D feeling of realism and depth."

I checked the DV-37 out at a local dealer and it looked great. I have a friend who bought one and he said he has never seen a chroma bug/combing problem . He has his hooked up to a 53" monitor.

The bottom line : if the DV-37 was originally on your list of players to consider, go to a dealer and check it out Compare it to other models that you are interested in and go with the one that looks best to you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.