AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what everyone considers THE BEST laptop out there now. Any laptop is open for opinion. Thanks! :)

·
Registered
637 Posts
Too many factors that are different for everyone. For me a laptop is only for portability and the desktop should do the rest. Even a great laptop is not anything compared to an average desktop.

I like the Sony Picturebook.

The good: very small, no cd drive (what good are they if you have it networked), wide format screen (1200x600), a reasonable camera included in the case.

The bad: slower than other laptops

Just remember as the screen gets bigger so does the batter or your time will suffer...

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
I have the Dell 8100, which is very common. Its more towards the top end, so its a little heavy if you are going to carry it around a lot. I wanted something more powerful since I need it for development work on site. Its nice in that it has a built in CD-RW/DVD bay, so you can have a CD-RW, DVD, floppy and battery all in it at once without any swapping. The screen has plenty of resolution for a laptop.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
I'm assuming you mean OTHER than Dell??

I'd get a Dell Inspiron or Latitude. Heck, I'd rather buy a used Latitude off eBay than some newer laptops.

Robert

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Don't buy a laptop without checking into the Titanium Powerbook and iBook. In my opinion there is no better buy for the money.

Cheers,

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
After having name brand and no name Laptops over the years I really like my current Acer... The price performance of the Acer 6xx series was great with mine being about 65- 70% of a similar Viao or Toshiba 'exec' type machine...

The 6xx series are nice and slim but still contain DVD / CDR combo's if required and built in 802.11 if these options appeal.. Durability / stability have been perfect...

I had never looked at Acer twice but I would heavily recommend you look into one...

·
Registered
571 Posts
There is no best notebook/laptop/portable. If you want a sub-notebook, there is a whole different world out there as opposed to if you're looking for a desktop replacement.

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry I should have probably explained what it was going to be used for. DUH! :).

This will be my main computer at college, so power and graphics will probably be required. Also I was planning on docking it a workstation when in the dorm for possible external printer, scanner, monitor, keyboard, and mouse. Does this sound like a good idea?

Thanks for all the suggestions. Any word about the IBM Thinkpads?

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You know what, that might just be the one for me! That thing is killer! I will seriously look into that one. Thanks for the link! :D

·
Registered
674 Posts
Hmmm...

I've been looking at this...

http://www.alienware.com/main/config...s/area51-m.asp

It looks like the 2.4 ghz p4 that they use there is the full-power, energy-draining desktop p4... you get an option between a laptop-oriented, energy-efficient, slower p4 and a desktop one, which is good--choose your poison, lol!

Lessee, nice graphics, nice case, nice cooling, lots of options, nice amount of ram, you can buy any quality display or anything to go with it, you get a LOT of nice accessories (a kickass manual, stuff like that), lots of options for expandable drives and such, it has all of the latest drivers installed, and, being a gaming oriented laptop, it DOESN'T HAVE A LOT OF SOFTWARE BLOAT!! WOOHOO!!! I WOULD BUY IT ON THAT ALONE!

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Seriously though, Alienware is a very good candidate. And Doug, what Apple Laptop were you pointing out, the link doesn't work any more.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Heya Lax...

Wow, I checked out your profile.. you have a system like THAT and you're younger than me?! WOAH!

Sounds like you like Polk Audio. Have you heard the LSi line yet? I hear it's really awesome....

Anyway, a friend told me yesterday that Alienware had come out with a laptop... I was like, "KICKASS!!" I browsed through the stuff, and this thing looks awesome!

Do you have ICQ? AIM? Yahoo Messenger? MSN Messenger?

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Quote:
Any word about the IBM Thinkpads?
They've always been high quality products AFAIK (though everyone has some lapses and I'm sure that they've had some.) They tend towards the Cadillac end of the range sometimes though. I'd definitely buy one of their top end laptops if bucks wasn't an issue.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I think the Sony VAIO is a good notebook as well. Between it and a ThinkPad, it'd be a tough decision for me.

I use a Toshiba Tecra 8100 (PIII 700/256MB/10GB/DVD) now. It's pretty heavy, but otherwise has performed almost flawlessly.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.