I apologise if this question is stupid; I'm using a Dishnetwork 811

Hi-Def receiver. Can I capture a HD broadcast and record it via a

DVD recorder and ultimately playback i.e. a concert in 720p from

that DVD?

Thanks for any information.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
You can record an HD broadcast in SD with 2-channel stereo audio. It looks and sounds wonderful even if it isn't HD. If your HD receiver sends 16:9 video via S-video some recorders will record it as 16:9. In most cases, HD signals are sent as letterbox 4:3 via S-video so that is what you'll be recording.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
It won't be 720p. It'll be 480i. That's a limitation of current DVDs.

To record in HD will require the upcoming HD-DVD or Blu-Ray recorders. Hopefully one format will put the other out of business quickly so we can move forward. I vote for Blu-Ray. Anyway, around the end of the year the first units will be out, probably for around $1,000.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the information, I'll start doing my research regarding HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markeetaux
Thanks for the information, I'll start doing my research regarding HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray.
And your head is going to spin at the absolute STUPIDITY of the corporate world on this issue. Dumb-asses have not learned a thing(VHS/BETA WAR of the 70's-80's)

You are going to find the best thing to do is just to wait. Most likely at least 3-5 years until the dust settles and one format is dead. You could take the plunge, but I think most are still better off going with the current DVD Recording until this stuff works out.

But it is your money(and everyone else has their own), so do what you will. :)

I for one will wait. Possibly/Probably a LONGGGG Time.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Not necessarily. DVD + and - R were competing formats too, but this pre-excitement over HD recorders will wane when people see the very probable recording restrictions built into them.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
An assumption is being made that there will be recordable HD-DVD or Blu-Ray media and that such media will be sold an affordable price. And if such media appears there will be standalone recorders that write HD content to that media.

For now HD archive recording is available with D-VHS. Those aren't selling like hotcakes even though they have far fewer restrictions than an optical-disc HD recorder likely will have in the future.

I, for one, certainly would not forgo the pleasure of my Pioneer SD DVD recorder now simply because there may be a HD disc recorder available some day. It's only TV.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by igreg
But you can not record HD DirecTV to D-VHS.
That's a shame. I can only extract the Network HD channels from my Comcast PVR to my computer because all the others are blocked for copying. It seems the direction everything is going is to the record-once format where you can record HDTV to a PVR but cannot archive it to other media. We get to time shift but not keep non-network HD programs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.