1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Questions before I can assist you:

Operating system: Windows version etc.

Your wireless router subnet

Your Network Card subnet

Alternatively go into dos cmd screen (Start, Type 'cmd' in box and press enter)

On cmd screen type ipconfig/all and please let us have the results.

·
Registered
228 Posts
If you have 2 NICs you can run 2 networks.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok running Win7

wireless internet connection linksys router provided by landlord.

wired connection w/netgear router no internet is mine.

both networks show up but to get internet have to disable the lan adapter then reenable when wanting to access movies, music etc..

hope this make sense, new at networking.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb /forum/post/20773168

Ez.

Your LAN should on a separate subnet than the WIFI's, so use something like 192.168.2.x.

Thanks for the assist so far but I dont understand where to make this change at.

Is it done at each attached pc or is it changed in the router settings?

If changed at the router settings how do I access them without internet on the netgear lan?

·
Registered
5,904 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPhile /forum/post/20773807

I dont understand where to make this change at.

Is it done at each attached pc or is it changed in the router settings?

If changed at the router settings how do I access them without internet on the netgear lan?

To answer this question you have to know who's doing the DHCP server job. The box which assigns you the IP addresses.

Most likely there is a DHCP on the WIFI side, well leave that alone 'coz u don't have access to it anyways.

Does the netgear have DHCP, if so use it, for your LAN side, otherwise you will have to go static = manually assign IP to each PC on the LAN side.

On this PC only, the LAN default gateway should remain the same as before or blank.

Jumping ahead, do your other boxes on the LAN side need access to the Internet? if so, do they have their own WIFI NIC?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb /forum/post/20774318

To answer this question you have to know who's doing the DHCP server job. The box which assigns you the IP addresses.

Most likely there is a DHCP on the WIFI side, well leave that alone 'coz u don't have access to it anyways.

Does the netgear have DHCP, if so use it, for your LAN side, otherwise you will have to go static = manually assign IP to each PC on the LAN side.

On this PC only, the LAN default gateway should remain the same as before or blank.

Jumping ahead, do your other boxes on the LAN side need access to the Internet? if so, do they have their own WIFI NIC?

I dont know how to access the netgear routers settings without web based gui.

I have 1 other pc & a media player on LAN Network & they dont need internet

access & are functioning fine.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb /forum/post/20775863

Anything made in the last 10 years should have a web interface. If not, oh well, u can always go static as mentioned.

yes what i meant was the netgear/lan network has no internet access so cant get to the netgear page. I will try to set it statically then.

·
Registered
5,904 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPhile /forum/post/20775992

yes what i meant was the netgear/lan network has no internet access so cant get to the netgear page. I will try to set it statically then.

U don't need Internet access to call up the netgear's web page. If u haven't been able to access it is maybe currently you have "crashing" subnets, once u change the subnet, everything will be in the clear.

Disable WIFI temporarily, then if your netgear box is 192.168.1.blah then u just type that on your browser and the netgear interface should come up.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Im almost afraid to ask the meter rates???

Yes I can ping my other lan connections & access them thru homegroup but

to get internet back have to disable the lan adapter first. Wireless shows still connected tho but when you go to network connections path it says multiple networks with big red X.

·
Registered
25 Posts
From the command prompt, issue the command "route print" and post a screenshot.

I'm not too familiar with how Windows chooses which network interface to use to send traffic, but I suspect that your routing table is getting set up to use one of your network interfaces and therefore Windows is trying to use that interface for all of your traffic, even when you'd like it to use a different interface.

You may need to set up static routes to sort this out.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Your wired connection has higher priority than your wireless connection (10 vs 25) in the above print out. The Internet is represented by 0.0.0.0 and the computer is sending traffic via the wired connection.

See this link
http://www.freeopenbook.com/win-xp-toolkit/32ch08f.htm

Change the metric for the wired interface to 30.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eecubed /forum/post/20786432

Your wired connection has higher priority than your wireless connection (10 vs 25) in the above print out. The Internet is represented by 0.0.0.0 and the computer is sending traffic via the wired connection.

See this link
http://www.freeopenbook.com/win-xp-toolkit/32ch08f.htm

Change the metric for the wired interface to 30.

Bingo, That Did It!

Want to thank all u guys, would never have gotten it working without u!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.