AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of replacing the 27" tv in the bedroom. I now have a Directv HD receiver so I can pick up HD channels. We only watch this tv from the bed which is 13 feet away. At that distance, could the human eye detect a difference between Hd resolution and standard TV resolution on a 34 inch television? I don't mind paying the extra for the HD resolution but if I won't be able to tell a difference from my viewing distance, it seems kind of silly not to just get a big standard tv for a couple of hundred less dollars.

·
Registered
15,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evrglades
I'm thinking of replacing the 27" tv in the bedroom. I now have a Directv HD receiver so I can pick up HD channels. We only watch this tv from the bed which is 13 feet away. At that distance, could the human eye detect a difference between Hd resolution and standard TV resolution on a 34 inch television? I don't mind paying the extra for the HD resolution but if I won't be able to tell a difference from my viewing distance, it seems kind of silly not to just get a big standard tv for a couple of hundred less dollars.

13 feet is pretty far away, even for a 34 inch WS. It is going to be QUITE noticeably better than the 27 incher you are currently using.

Best advice: Demo any 34 inch WS and stand 13 feet away from it in the store and see how it looks to you. Have them put on an HD station, otherwise, take your DVD player with you and some material you are intimately familliar with, connect it, take the TV out of torch mode, and see what it looks like.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Quote:
If you can't see it, it amazing what a laser can do in the hands of a skilled eye surgeon. :)

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Well if you had a 100" screen like a Front Projector then yes you can see HD at that distance.

But with such a small screen size i'm not sure if it's worth the benefit of an HD resolution.You might as well just stick with the tv you have or get a RP CRT or LCD or DLP instead.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Well are you looking at a new CRT HD? or maybe thinking LCD or PLasma?

Depends on what size TV you want to replace your 27" with. If you sitting 13 feet back you should think about a nice big plasma

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"Depends on what size TV you want to replace your 27" with. If you sitting 13 feet back you should think about a nice big plasma "

I have a nice 47 inch HDTV in the great room where we do most of our viewing. On this tv, we mostly watch junk shows before falling asleep. But there are times when I find myself watching the end of a football game or a late movie and I wanted a display that would be adequate in size (which the 27 isn't when they put the black bars of hdtv on) but not cost an arm and leg.

I am toying with the 42 panasonic ED plasma though. I figure if I don't spring for that, maybe I should just spend a couple of hundred bucks and get a good 34" to tide me over for another couple of years until LCD's and Plasmas get under $1,000.

·
Registered
21,969 Posts
No matter the distance. IMO, any widescreen HD set is better, especially in a bedroom where it's not your primary/critical area.

·
Registered
21,969 Posts
No matter the distance. IMO, any widescreen HD set is better, especially in a bedroom where it's not your primary/critical viewing location.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I sit 9' from my 34" XBR960. If I stand behind the couch (at 13'), and switch between OTA HD and SD locals, I can still *VERY MUCH* notice a difference. It's night and day. No question. Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes. Even at 13 feet. There's also no question that at 9ft it's much better...but that wasn't your question, and also sounds like something you have no control over.

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
Quote:
...I am toying with the 42 panasonic ED plasma though....
Nice set for that distance...larger screen size, will receive the HD channels at 480p, and looks great with DVDs. Wall hung cool factor and no large case CRT to clutter up the space. Go for it!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko85
I sit 9' from my 34" XBR960. If I stand behind the couch (at 13'), and switch between OTA HD and SD locals, I can still *VERY MUCH* notice a difference. It's night and day. No question. Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes. Even at 13 feet. There's also no question that at 9ft it's much better...but that wasn't your question, and also sounds like something you have no control over.

Your right!

Don't believe the hype! I'm really getting sick and tired of people telling me that I can't see HD at a distance. Horse Pucky You sure can. The color gambit of HD and Digital is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much higher, it's easy to see the difference.

You see, it's not just about the resolution, there is alot more to digital television :)

At 13' though? I bet I can tell the difference between SD and hd, but I really don't think I could tell the difference between DIGITAL OTA and true HD OTA at that distance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.