AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I go through all the trouble of getting a HD box from Time Warner here in NYC, I need to know what if the output signal is selectable.

I own a Loewe Calida SDTV which only accepts 480i and 480p (I know, I know, but overall it was the best TV for me at the time). Can I set the TW HD box to convert all signals (480p, 720p and 1080i) to 480p?

Hope somebody can answer my question. Thanks.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I don't think you can change the output unfortunately on the TWC HD boxes.

Of course since there's only 3 HD channels in NYC now I wouldn't be in any rush to get a box...

Has anyone else in NYC on TWC noticed that on HBO shows like Mind of the married man, have a LOT of picture and sound drops?

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
While they both deliver HDTV, cable converters and HDTV tuner/decoders are quite different. The 2000HDs used by TWC are designed to convert cable's QAM signal format (256 QAM in NYC) to standard or HDTV signals for your set. They don't handle the 8-VSB signal format of OTA HDTV.

My 2000HD has 5 component output jacks. As delivered, three of them provide a 480p or 1080i component DTV or HDTV signal to a set's component jacks. (720p is sideconverted to 1080i.) With a special star-type wrench (most hardware stores), that has a depression in the tip to accept a pin on the 2000HD screws, the converter cover can be removed and a jumper bridging the jacks shifted. Then the converter will deliver a 5-component output (RGBHV) for certain sets.

Seem to be getting more dropouts on HBO recently, holysin. Watched BOB last night and encountered numerous 1-2-sec complete blackouts. -- John

[This message has been edited by John Mason (edited 10-11-2001).]

·
Registered
136 Posts
John, I'm curious to find out how long you had to wait to get your HD box. I live in Manhattan and I have TWC. I called Time Warner 2 weeks ago to be on the waiting list. I am #325, they said I should get it within a couple of months.

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Never got a HDTV converter from calling TWC's customer service, mdaire. They'd put me on two so-called 'lists' over about one year. But when I got put on a list last summer at Bob Watson's office at TWC (212 598 7363) it only took about a month. Because of some foul up with the last batch of 2000HDs, not sure how prompt they are these days.

If you get one of the new 3100HD models, promised at one time for this fall, please let us know. I've also seen mention somewhere that 3100s have been delayed until next year. Not a conspiracy type of person, but Scientific Atlanta's delays in delivering 2000HDs and perhaps 3100HDs, make it hard not to believe something deliberate isn't going on.

Doug_L, sorry I missed your original query. Sounds like you have an 'extended-definition' set (for 480p). Since it's not for HDTV (720p or 1080i), a TWC converter would only show 480p when that format was being delivered over the cable. (At the moment, none do here.) Not sure how your set would handle 1080i. Your set would have to have three (or 5) component inputs. -- John

[This message has been edited by John Mason (edited 10-11-2001).]

·
Registered
211 Posts
I'm here in Flushing, NY & next Friday TWC is supposedly going to install one of the NEW 3000 HDTV boxes!! I'll keep you posted as to if this really happens.

------------------

MMMM,Snout!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Great news Larry

Watson's office has been mum on the new boxes.

Please keep us abreast of the installation and

new features (if any). Thanks

·
Registered
211 Posts
Well, TWC came on Friday & installed my HD converter, & as I suspected, it is the old 2000HD, NOT the new 3000. The lady on the phone had promised a new box, and she was kind of right, since the 2000HD was manufactured on 8/10/01, so it was "new".

Due to the WTC disaster, TWNYC is only getting CBS, HBO & SHO in HD(on channels 702, 701, & 703). Stations that we should be getting but are down are:NBC(704), FOX(705), ABC(707), & PBS(713). The installers said they have no idea when they'll be back up again. They also told me that TWC has only installed "around 20 to 30" HD boxes in the entire NY area so far, with most of them going to industry insiders like the NY Times' TV critic, and that there is a waiting list of a few hundred people. I asked them how the hell I rated getting one so soon, and they had no idea!

Now on to my main complaint about the box---On the regular 2000 box the audio is output as digital AC-3 for the digital channels & analog audio for regular broadcast channels. My Yamaha DSP A-1 automatically chooses which audio to use, with AC-3 1st priority, PCM 2nd, & analog 3rd, so it automatically picks the correct audio stream to use. The 2000HD, however, ALWAYS sends out an AC-3 signal, even on the analog channels, forcing my receiver into AC-3 for the analog channels, therefore giving me no audio unless I manually choose analog. This makes channel surfing a major pain-in-the-ass for me and an impossibility for my wife:( . I'm also getting a lot of dropouts on HBO-HD. HOWEVER, despite all this I am thrilled to finally be on board & love the way the picture looks on my 36XBR-450.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just got my box. Had same problem with audio. Myworkaround on an Onkyo was to plug analog sound into tape2 setting video to TW box. My wife can surf in analog with no problems. If I'm there I can switch her to digital adio easily. It is silly though.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I've had my HD2000 for a week now. I will definitely try and set the rgbvh settings.

I have the same analog/digital (yamaha 2092) audio signal probem as the rest, but I leave it in analog for most shows. Most shows are only producing mon sound or stereo. I switched to 5.1 when I know there is that type of content. BTW the volume level between analog and digital are totally different, so that adds to the difficulty.

I too have the dropouts, but on a G11 front projector set to produce an 8' picture I can't stop drooling.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.