AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Am looking at setting up a home theatre and want to have the projector come on when it receives a signal.

Essentially lets say there is a set-top box (TiVo) which is in standby, I want to fire up the STB and have the projector detect there is a signal and start up. Then when I put the STB back into standy I want it to recognise there is no longer a signal and go back into standby.

I know I could set it up so that the remote control also sends the signal to the projector, but I want the same thing to happen when I turn on an x-Box (ie with no IR).

Is this possible either as a feature on a projector (not sure what it's called, so can't search for it) or with an additional gizmo?

·
Registered
586 Posts
Would it work to just get a programmable remote like a Harmony or similar?

You can setup "activities" like "Watch TiVo" that will turn on the TiVo and the projector with one button press.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Yeah - that could be a good way to go.

What's your experience of the Harmony? Is it a good bit of kit? Wondered what the touchscreen was like, as they can sometimes be a bit ropey.

·
Registered
586 Posts
You will take mine only from my cold dead fingers!!!

Also, I got one for my parents years ago after I setup their A/V system... it completely stopped the phone calls from my Mom when she got something on the wrong input... now she just pushes the help button, answers a few questions and all is working again. Money well spent.

Reactions: bdgriffiths

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Haha! Sounds like a pretty glowing report.

Have been looking at the Harmony Ultimate and I have to say the reviews are pretty good. Think I may have to invest in one...

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
Yes, you do.

A good universal remote is what makes a system work. If setting up a theater, then you would typically run your sources to an A/V receiver, which adds another level of complexity and another device which must be powered on. It's also worth noting that many devices, such as cable tuners, and Tivo boxes never power 'off', they go into a fake standby state where their HDMI connection is still connected and so any automatically powered devices would never actually power off.

Instead, you get a good remote which can do macros and has some memory and when you press 'Watch TV' for the first time, it turns everything on, waits for it to warm up, then switches to the proper input. When you select something different, when it's already on, it immediately switches to the proper input. When you power it off, it shuts everything down.

The use of RF on the Ultimate is nice because you don't have to point the remote at the equipment rack.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts