AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I, (like a lot of us), have high speed Internet at home, and for convenience, I have started to rip my DVD collection to HD, (not compressing, just as it is in the DVD - I'm interested in quality rather then saving space).

If I have a full 5GB DVD film on HD, why not download it?, (I think my ISP might have something to say about it, but that's another story).

Paid on-line music is taking off, what about this?

I would certainly be interested in an on-line service that I could pick a film & download, without the waiting the 2/3/4 day turnaround of snail mail.

There are issues such as everyone trying to download 5GB films and swamping the ISP, but connections speeds & bandwidth is increasing all the time, (I think my ISP has a 4GB per month limit, per household). Other issues are licensing, but we seem to be curing that for music, what about movies?

I know you can already download ripped, compressed (lower quality) movies, but I'm not interested in that. I would be interested in paying to keep the quality high.

What do you guys think? Is this kind of thing already legally available & I've just missed it?

Paul

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Wired ran an article 6 or 8 months ago about the state of VOD (Video on Demand), and concluded that the most efficient provider of VOD titles was...drumroll please...

Netflix. They figured they'll get 3 movies to you in ~2 days most places, even if you double that (to include return shipping) you get ~15gb "transferred" in 4 days, take out some time for weekends and you can "transfer" over 100gb/month for $19.99/month. Simply can't be beat, especially if you have read the articles about the trend of more and more ISPs capping or disconnecting those users who makeup the "high bandwidth crowd."

Cheers,

Brian

·
Registered
137 Posts
Another option is Blockbuster's "Freedom Pass". For $24.99/month you can have 2 movies "checked out" at any one time. No due dates, no late fees. If you're crazy enough you could get 2 movies/day = 60/month. If you're really crazy, you could go twice a day.

Downsides:

1. Freedom pass is only good at one particular location - so you are limited to that store's selection.

2. Not available everywhere - though the employees are saying the program is wildly popular and they think Blockbuster will expand it (you get to know the employees pretty well after a while :D ).

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
More bad things about that...you still have to drive there and back, and you're limited to the dvd selection BB has (and has in stock). At least at my BB their DVD selection is pathetic.

Brian

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Guys...

I did think one of the main restrictions would be everyone trying to download 5GB at a time & ISP's getting upset about it.

The freedom pass thing has appeal, but I've heard from friends that a lot of BB stuff is full screen only. I also heard Walmart were considering something similar, & planning to under cut BB.

Paul

·
Banned
539 Posts
I like Netflix. I'm able to rent at least twenty movies per month, sometimes more. This equals about $1 per rental. They have a huge selection and pretty good service, especially if you live close to one of their shipping centers. I don't think they like me because I rip and ship. Occasionally they try to slow things down, but after a few days, it is back to fast turnaround.

Negatives are that some of the DVDs are beat up and might not play correctly. For me this isn't a problem as my ripper can usually extract cleanly from scratched disks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
What are books? Is that a new HD over cable format?

netflix netflix netflix.

I'm on the 8 out at a time all you can eat plan. I used to buy a lot of DVD's I figure this is equal to buying two per month and I'm up to my ears in DVD's.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tmmort
Another option is Blockbuster's "Freedom Pass". For $24.99/month you can have 2 movies "checked out" at any one time. No due dates, no late fees. If you're crazy enough you could get 2 movies/day = 60/month. If you're really crazy, you could go twice a day.

Downsides:

1. Freedom pass is only good at one particular location - so you are limited to that store's selection.

2. Not available everywhere - though the employees are saying the program is wildly popular and they think Blockbuster will expand it (you get to know the employees pretty well after a while :D ).
I've had the Freedom pass for months and it absolutely rules. I subscribe to the $30/month version that lets you take 3 movies at a time. Even in a slow month we pay less than "normal" rental fees, but during the summer we watched tons of movies and saved major $$$... Especially the late fees that I used to always somehow find a way to pay :(

- Cryo

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I've heard Netflix has just about every DVD made.... I think that beats BB's selection.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
To address the intent of the origional post...

At one point I was angling to be the video encoder at Transmission films

http://www.transmissionfilms.com/tf/index.php

They dont have much selection and they are indi / experimental / etc (plus fullscreen / stereo while I talked to them)... But they are trying the model you are discussing.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
why who says u cant download DVD-R movies already :)

i already got the DVD-R of Finding Nemo (which is not downsampled from retail) and Matrix Reloaded (video downsampled)

and they are free and well illegal.. lol... but my point anyway its been happening already thru the use of P2P... yes yes people are sharing whole DVD iso files and lossless audio rips .. and its really getting big..

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
I think he's looking for a legal way of downloading DVDs. Not P2P, but like the Imusic services.

I don't think copying every Netflix movie you get to your HDD is prefectly legal, but I'm not really sure. It's no different making a VHS copy of any HBO or rented title.

As long as your not giving them away or selling them, is copying all the movies you rent legal? Either to VHS or to HDD via the legal rippers?

If anyone watched the TechTV special where they talked to record label people and artists, this sounds similar to the problem the RIAA has with Mp3s. They don't care if you have mixtapes of radio songs because of their quality, but as soon as you make a mixtape of higher quality audio, they start caring.

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Quote:
I don't think copying every Netflix movie you get to your HDD is prefectly legal, but I'm not really sure. It's no different making a VHS copy of any HBO or rented title.

You're not sure? Come on :). It's completely illegal, the same as making a copy of any rented movie. Heck, the movie industry is pressing the case that it is illegal to make backup copies of movies you legally own!

-MP

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My original e-mail was all about using technology as a convenient tool.

We all understand the technology is available to download entire DVD films without losing quality - I was trying to ask why we don't? It seems there are several reasons - but the two main ones seems to be bandwidth use & licensing rights. Netflix is a good service plugging a current gap in the market, but I believe that when Internet connections to homes gets faster, this kind of service will be invented.

The Internet transmission stuff is real interesting. Shaw cable up here in Canada have a system of ordering movies via a web page and then it plays on your digital cable receiver almost immediately. You can then pause, rewind or forward the film. You can also play the film as often as you like in one 24 hour period. It's not HD or DVD quality, but I think it's still an interesting use of technology.

I was/am imagining some sort of ultra-tech home with a high speed Internet connection through which everything comes, (HDTV, Internet use, IP based telephones, on-demand films in high quality, on-demand music). You can then come home, switch on your projector or TV or whatever, and select something right away at your convenience without sacrificing quality. I think it's coming - but it is a while away yet.

For now...I'll keep dreaming...

·
Registered
684 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BigguyZ
I've heard Netflix has just about every DVD made.... I think that beats BB's selection.
Yes, and Netflix is cheaper, but I prefer being able to go to the store and pick what I want when I want, and not wait for the mail. Plus after the first few months Netflix gets slower and slower (especially if you rent a lot).

- Cryo

·
Registered
28 Posts
I think the reason why we haven't seen a downloadable service is because of digital rights management. I think all the movie studios are scared that offering movies over the Internet will allow for mass piracy. There was the one service in Singapore (I think) that I used for a bit. They streamed movies from their servers for about a dollar a movie. The quality wasn't that bad, but MPAA shut them down quickly, though I think the reason was because they didn't have the rights to do it. :)

Anyways, Netflix is great. Great selection of movies, turnaround about 2 days. You can sign up for a 2 week trial then cancel your subscription to get a promotion to pay only 14.95/month for 6 months! The only problem I have is that often the discs are dirty and scratched to hell or even broken. How hard is it to put the DVD in the player and take it out without scratching it or getting your greasy paws on the surface?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.