AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have checked out the new Sony TV's to learn if they carry PIP.

I have known PIP as needing 2 tuners, with most of the TV's having 1 tuner requiring a DVD or VCR to act as a second tuner.

Upon reading "Sony's PIP".... it states---

" PIP (Picture in Picture): PC Input/TV Channel&CVBS "

Could someone please explain to me what I would need to use a PIP on a Sony TV? I have no idea what they are saying.

Thanks!

Rose

·
Registered
11,642 Posts
Not sure what they are trying to get at, but this is now my Sony LCD works with regards to PIP, and I'd think the newer Sonys would be the same.

If displaying my computer(via VGA connection) on my TV screen and I push the OPTIONS button on my remote I get a choice for PIP. If I push PIP I get a small picture in the corner of my screen which has the TV tuner, and ONLY the TV tuner. Pushing channel up or down changes the channel while again the PC screen fills the main part of the screen.

If I'm watching TV(from my TVs tuner) and I push the OPTIONS button I get a choice of P&P(not PIP like before). If I select P&P my TVs tuner becomes a smaller full screen on the right of my screen and on the left is a larger screen that I can select any of my TVs inputs(except tuner or PC(VGA) input. In this case I could select HDMI 3 and be watching my Tivo while at the same time watching a program with my TVs tuner on the smaller screen.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jjeff,

Wonderful explanantion! I understood!

So, instead of having PIP directly on the remote as my older model... they just make you go through extra steps. And, I could still use my VCR as one of my inputs for the smaller window. (which, they did on the older models except it was labeled as Video1, Video2, etc.)

Thanks! Now, all I have to do is hope that a salesperson can confirm that the new models operate as your does.

Thank you so much! You have been very helpful!!!

Rose

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jjeff,

I did a Search on the Sony website for PIP and came up with this page with lists a group of questions on using PIP.

http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/m...del=XBR52HX909

I then linked to the question how to turn on the PIP-

http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/m...00%20196714381

Quote:
The television has a PIP function that works as long as a computer or other device is connected using HDMI with PC Timing.

Once you have your computer connected using an HDMI cable with PC Timing, press the OPTIONS button on the supplied remote and choose Picture In Picture (PIP).

NOTES:

If your connection type and timing are not appropriate, the Picture In Picture option will NOT show up.

All of the supported PC Timings are listed in the i-Manual for your television. Press the iManual button on the remote to access this feature.

The highest resolution the PC can be set to is 1024x768.

The image from the PC will appear on the large screen. The small window supports a signal from the RF input and composite connections.

I phoned Sony and the rep told me that I must use my computer for my PIP screen. I am not using my television tuner. My computer and TV are connected by a HDMI cable (I will need a long cable!) I will be able to view my channels (including HBO, etc) using my computer. I could then also use my cable box connecting with red/white/yellow cables as my 2nd tuner.

This will not interfere if my husband wants to just watch TV while I am using the computer.

Does this make sense to you? On the other post, I believe you said you used an antenna....which I took as how you used your TV tuner vs. the computer.

The TV that I am looking at is the 52" BRAVIA XBR HX909 if that helps.

Any input would be appreciated. I am so confused again.

I am going to place a call to Samsung to see what they also tell me.

Thanks!

Rose

·
Registered
11,642 Posts

I really can't understand what Sony is trying to tell you. With my Sony I can use the PC input but I can also use any of the other inputs, along with the TVs tuner. I also can't understand the reference to 1024x768 for the max PC resolution, I use 1360x768 and my PIP works just fine

The XBR is Sony's top of the line, my W4100 is two steps below the top(2 steps up from the bottom when I bought it). It's hard to believe a better model than mine would have less features, but anything is possible.

I really think your best bet would be to go to a Best Buy or Sears, or any other B&M store that displays a lot of models. In the case of a Sony I'd push the OPTIONS button and then look for P&P. The store may be using QAM for it's source or possibly some line input. Either way P&P should show up as one of the options.

This is a real stab in the dark, but my first LCD was a commercial Sony 19" 4x3 display. It was 720p HD but only had a analog tuner(it was called HD ready at the time). It also had a DVI and component input along with composite. It also had PIP but I never used it, since one of the pictures needed to be the PC(VGA input) and I never really used my PC and wanted another picture. It sure sounds like the newer Sonys are acting like that old Sony but I just can't believe they've taken a step backwards in regards to PIP.

You might try posting your PIP questions for that XBR model in this AVS thread. It should have owners of that particular model who could tell you for sure.

Note that LCD forum should also have threads for most any other TVs you may be looking at. You could click on SEARCH THIS FORUM on the upper right corner of your screen(when in the forum you want to search in) or SEARCH THIS THREAD(when in the particular thread you want to search) and search for PIP or P&P.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jjeff,

Thank you. I feel much better knowing that you also are confused. I did place a post at the Sony forum (sorry I didn't think of that first) I guess I feel more at home here as you all know my limitations.

I went to the Samsung site and found this info on their PIP. Would you mind taking a look at it and see if it all makes sense to you. I'm a bit lost....but, also became concerned when I read the section on Limitations of PIP

http://support-us.samsung.com/cyber/...!1281482028125

Could I please have your thoughts on this?

Thank you again!

Rose

·
Registered
11,642 Posts
At least I can understand what Samsung is trying to say, unlike Sony. The limitations I notice on the Samsung that I do not have on MY Sony(the newer ones sound different
) are:

1). You cannot watch digital channels using your TVs tuner when using PIP, this is how Samsung words this: The PIP sub-screen displays analog cable channels only. I don't know why this would be the case and since analog channels are going away everywhere I don't know why they would do such a thing. For me (using an antenna) this would be worthless since basically everything over the air is now digital. Maybe this is why Samsung says PIP is for CABLE only, they don't mention ANTENNA, this would also be a big limitation for me. If you used the DTA I mentioned this wouldn't be a problem for you since the DTA would convert all the cable digital channels to analog channel 3(or 4) on your TV.

2). Other than the analog tuner, the other picture must be from a HD source(HDMI, DVI, VGA or Component). This probably wouldn't be a big deal(it would only really effect your VCR) but again my Sony doesn't have this limitation. I can use ANY line input for my second Picture. Note with the Samsung you would be best to get a HD cable box for PIP because again it needs to have a HD output for PIP to work for the Samsung using line inputs.

I'm a big fan of Sony TVs(although I've never had the pleasure of owning a XBR
) but I also think Samsung makes a nice quality TV. If you could verify how the Sony worked(and it worked like mine) I really thing that would be your best bet. The Sammy would also work but seems to have more limitations than my Sony. If I understand the new Sony(which I don't think I do) that would be even worse than the Samsung and in that case the Sammy would be your best bet.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jjeff,

Thank you for being so kind to check the Samsung PIP for me.
I, too, was always a Sony fan. The only reason I was turning to Samsung was for the PIP, until you made me aware that some of the Sony's do have PIP. Also, when I had purchased my 32 inch Samsung I had learned that Samsung and Sony were using some of the same parts. I don't know if that is true today. So far (knock on wood) my Samsung has been good to me. But, I really did want a Sony.

I am going to go to Best Buy today and see if I can learn anything. Of course, this is the worst weekend to talk to a salesman. I cannot even find a store in my area that carries the Sony BR909 to view. And, there are only 2 stores that have the Samsung I want. I will let you know how I make out.

I did not get a response from the Sony thread on the PIP...somehow, I think I probably won't. In reading through the threads last night, I saw there were alot of questions unanswered by new people.
But, we'll see.

Surprisingly, CNET didn't give that Sony the best report!

Quote:
The good: Produces extremely deep black levels; video processing properly handles 1080p/24 material; relatively accurate color with linear grayscale; 3D compatible; 2D-to-3D conversion system works better than expected; numerous streaming video services; Excellent design with stylish monolithic exterior; energy-efficient.

The bad: Extremely expensive; exhibits more blooming than competing local dimming LED models; black areas tinged bluer; subpar off-angle viewing; 3D exhibited ghost images along edges (crosstalk); does not include 3D glasses or IR emitter.

The bottom line: Although its black levels challenge the best ever, some other picture-related aspects of the Sony XBR-HX909 series don't live up to the high price.

Now, I am not really concerned about the 3D aspect. It is just that when I purchase a product it is with the intent of keeping it for a long time... I don't replace things every 3 or 4 years. I like to get my moneys worth!
So, I usually do purchase what I hope is good quality that will last me several years so I try to get it right the first time....driving myself and husband crazy at the same time. (He's not the researcher that I am!)

I will keep you posted. Thank you so much again!

Rose

·
Registered
11,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyrose /forum/post/19557149

I did not get a response from the Sony thread on the PIP...somehow, I think I probably won't. In reading through the threads last night, I saw there were alot of questions unanswered by new people.
But, we'll see.

Surprisingly, CNET didn't give that Sony the best report!

I've also noted that in the LCD forum, lots of questions but not as many answers. Hopefully you'll get a actual user to answer your relatively easy question(for someone who actually uses that TV) but I too wouldn't hold your breath

Edit: It looks like someone responded to your post, sounds like Sony does have PIP and it sounds like it works like mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyrose /forum/post/19557149

Now, I am not really concerned about the 3D aspect. It is just that when I purchase a product it is with the intent of keeping it for a long time... I don't replace things every 3 or 4 years. I like to get my moneys worth!
So, I usually do purchase what I hope is good quality that will last me several years so I try to get it right the first time....driving myself and husband crazy at the same time. (He's not the researcher that I am!)

I will keep you posted. Thank you so much again!

Rose

When it comes to reviews I sometimes take them with a grain of salt. Especially with displays, I like to go to the store, play with the set and see with my own eyes. All I can say is I'm very happy with my Sony, I've tried many other LCDs(Samsung, LG, Insignia, Panasonic) and my current Sony beat them all, it's not a LED model.

Personally I prefer the non LED models but if you want the extremely thin models you've got to go LED. I read a nice thread the other day on LED displays and it seems like they are not all that they are cracked up to be. It sounds like you don't want the Edge lit models but rather the backlit models are better. Here's the thread I was reading:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1292248

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.