AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it worth getting the HDMI vs Component cables? My tv supports both. I just have not chosen a player yet.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
It depends on your DVD player...

My Samsung is an upconverting DVD player but it only outputs the upconverted signal from the HDMI connection.

The component video connection is always 480P/I

So there is a huge difference.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did not know that upconvert only works with HDMI cables.

Can you still see a diff when using only 480p?

·
Registered
635 Posts
It doesn't always ONLY work with HDMI. Sometimes players have the ability to upconvert through component, but the hardware/software doesn't allow it, and this is where certain tweaks come in handy.

The picture improvement from HDMI or component is more based on the player and the display device than the actual cabling.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Chris,

My TV only has one HDMI input connector. I'd like to get a DVD player that upconverts and outputs 720P. Are you saying this is only possible with the HDMI output connector? I was hoping to using the HDMI on the TV with my sat recevier and RGB on the DVD player. Is there such thing as a HDMI splitter (two input, one output)?

·
Registered
404 Posts
If there's an av receiver or pre/pro in between the components (DVD player, etc.) and the TV, then you get multiple in / one out functionality (switching). The trick is finding a receiver that'll switch HDMI. They're trickling out. Is that what you're getting at, Spider?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.