AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
use a credit card!

I laugh at people who send out personal checks, cashiers checks etc to people doing business at these levels. Then somehow they get burned... duh!

BTW the J a p a n companies are much cheaper

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Tryg, you sound like all cases are leading to a burn. Several people, including two friends, have made online/international big-ticket HT purchases with excellent results.

·
Registered
957 Posts
NO WAN I dont think tryg said that at all. "I laugh at people who send out personal checks, cashiers checks etc to people doing business at these levels" This what he said. I believe his point was/is if you are going to send large amounts of money to people you do not know in cyberspace or next door to you then have the COMMON SENSE to use a credit card to protect yourself on the "off chance" that someone might be less than etihical out there. I know that for all of us here the idea of someone scamming someone else over HT is a capital offense and would lead to a good old fashioned keel hauling if I had anything to say about it but in fact theft and fraud are on the rise not the other way around. Be safe wear a condom on your cash.

Paul

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
I went with IAVI back when I was trying out the Sharp Z10000. Unfortunately, I got a few lemons, but their service was excellent. Got the first one, had a noisy fan, sent it back for replacement. Second one had dead mirrors. Got fed up, asked for a refund, and received it without a hassle.

If they sold something I was looking to buy, I wouldn't hesitate to do business with them again (after consulting AVS first of course ;)).

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
Quote:
I believe his point was/is if you are going to send large amounts of money to people you do not know in cyberspace or next door to you then have the COMMON SENSE to use a credit card to protect yourself on the "off chance" that someone might be less than etihical out there.
This is true whether or not you're dealing with an international source, for sure. In fact, don't use PayPal either, even with a credit card. Your credit card company doesn't protect PayPal transactions in the same way as they do a direct credit card transaction.

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Paul, Tryg is a big boy and can respond for himself. Please understand I never accused Tryg of saying anything. I said, Tryg, you sound like all cases are leading to a burn. Several people, including two friends, have made online/international big-ticket HT purchases with excellent results.

There is a major difference in my saying something 'sounded like' and my saying that 'someone said something'. By saying that something 'sounded like', I am giving the person the benefit of the doubt. You obviously missed this.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Of course I plan to use a credit card. My question was about anyone's experiences with IAVI. Thanks for the input. I am actually condiering the Sharp XV-Z10000U, so I am surprised to see Thirdkind's reply about the unit's quality. It seems most people find the unit to be excellent. I like it's features better than the Infocus 7200.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Michael Grant or any on else who knows,

What is the difference in protection to the consumer between a direct credit card transaction and a paypal credit card transaction?

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
According to my credit card company at least, they consider the transaction completed and fraud-free as long as PayPal receives the money. That is the transaction they are responsible for, not the subsequent delivery of that money to the third party.

So if the third party turns around and screws you, it's not a case of fraud as far as the credit card company is concerned, because the part of the transaction they were involved in went smoothly. Good luck getting your money back. As far as my credit card company is concerned that's a dispute between you, the merchant, and PayPal. Some have had better success than I, but don't count on it.

On the other hand, if a merchant has a more direct credit card billing system, then you can have more confidence that your credit card company can wield some power against the merchant if necessary.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
This is treated differently by each CC company... It appears to me that Euro VISA is much stronger at protecting the consumer that reports from USA consumers. Perhaps this is as VISA is operated on a more standalone basis that with the bank (eg if I have a Barclays VISA or a Lloyds VISA I still call VISA direct for any billing anomolies not my bank)... I should note that a bank debit card (also using VISA) offers almost no protection in the case of a problem.

They way some transactions are viewed (this would apply to western union) is that it is a cash advance.. Paypal lobby hard for this but certainly with my bank it does not wash... IIRC Western Union does have a no clawback process but I think it was only with a signature otherwise you could 'claim' a fraudulent transaction with no knowledge on your part...

Check with you company before any PayPal purchases that are large..

·
Registered
140 Posts
I bought a pair of used Lamm Mono-blocks from a Dealer with a credit card and they were not as represented and they setup a quick pickup of the amplifiers and drug their feet on issuing the refund. Chase Card services was just as slow and kept saying it takes another 30 days before a credit shows up. I submitted fraud papers and all transactions (emails) to Chase and they are finally pursuing the dealer, meanwhile the dealer's website, phone numbers and emails no longer work, some other people posted feedback saying sent money, didn't receive anything (ouch). Thank god I used a credit card, but it is not over yet and I could still get ......... nothing.

That's an expensive lesson and I had to pay the credit card company for the product almost 5 months ago to prevent interest charges. I am now paying more and purchasing through local dealers because of the huge amount of wasted time it has taken for me to deal with this fiasco. So asking about a company in a forum like this is the right way to proceed!

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Quote:
According to my credit card company at least, they consider the transaction completed and fraud-free as long as PayPal receives the money. That is the transaction they are responsible for, not the subsequent delivery of that money to the third party.
There are so many problems with paypal, that its almost not even worth trying to figure out.

I have been on both sides of the fence with chargebacks on paypal. From my experience, the buyer has full fraud protection, but the seller has none. I had an experience where I paid $2400 for some electronics and the deadbeat seller never shipped. I worked with paypal for several months and finally gave up and called my credit card company (which I used to pay paypal) to get my money back. My Credit Card company was USBANK and within weeks, they refunded my $2400.

On the other side, I sold some equipment and accepted payment through paypal.com. The buyer paid $2000 through paypal. 2 months later, paypal took $2000 out of my account and sent me an email stating that the buyer had done a chargeback on his credit card. I had no recourse with VISA because VISA told me that I am a third party who has no control over chargebacks. Only the two parties involved with the acutal transaction (paypal, and the buyer) could dispute the carges. Since paypal was just able to take the $2000 out of my own account, they didn't even bother to dispute the chargeback. This happens all the time on paypal.com. Innocent sellers get killed by people who simply buy items thorugh their credit card via paypal and then turn around and make chargebacks through their CC.

At least from my own experience, I will never accept payments thorugh paypal.com, but I have no problem paying others with the service.

There are plenty of websites out there that discuss this topic. My favorite is
www.paypalsucks.com

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Mass
Of course I plan to use a credit card. My question was about anyone's experiences with IAVI. Thanks for the input. I am actually condiering the Sharp XV-Z10000U, so I am surprised to see Thirdkind's reply about the unit's quality. It seems most people find the unit to be excellent. I like it's features better than the Infocus 7200.
I would consider my experience an anomaly and not representative of the overall quality of the Sharp.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I use paypal for the mounts I designed and build. Also have put through projectors at values over 9000.00. People just seem to like using this paying option. I do not particularly like paypal and will be converting to other venues in the future. In Canada as a merchant the rates are ridiculous. 250.00 set up fee,,, one for US and one for Canadian... and not as many countries purchases can go through. Then there is monthly maintenance fees, the discount rate on purchases is twice that of the USA, and I can't get past giving the credit card company more money than I get when I am the one doing all the work and carrying all the overhead. Paypal does have its uses. I have had people that I knew were chargeback artists, but knew enough not to sell to them.

One bad thing about this business is that all it takes is to get one bad arse in scamming and they can do one hell of alot of damage in a short amount of time. There was a couple of internet shops flipping projectors here in Canada that were getting on the margin on collecting taxes and not remitting them. They run it for a while... sell like crazy... dissappear and pop up later as some other site.

I have over 600 transactions on paypal in the last couple of months with absolutely no problems tho... So it isnt all bad. If it is a business paypal account I think there can be a bit more leverage to the consumer. I certainly would not use the paypal for any non business paypal account.

Unfortunately I kind of started using paypal from demands of people that wanted it so I just went ahead. Information given at the site by people that work there is very bad if you live outside of the USA. People just are not getting trained not even the supervisors. European, Australian, New Zealand sales did work extremely well with the paypal tho.

9 g's is alot of money to sweat over... is it worth it?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
For me, the best way to protect my money is to deal with reputable sellers. Use the retailer rating sites or ebay seller ratings to get a sense of an outfit. I just dont by from them unless they have a positive feedback trail over the course of at least a year.

By the way, local dealers can be just as flakey as internet or ebay outfits.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
EBAY feedback... Sometimes it is a sham... There was one individual that had over 2000 feedbacks.... then started doing digital camera sales... took people for over 80000 in two days.

Another one from Quebec was doing projectors... had 20 positive feedbacks... over 14 people were taken in two weeks for 7 g's each.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I've used PAYPAL before but only for small purchases but I've also bought some high priced items and used my AMEX card. NEVER do I send a check or money order as a lot of items on EBAY want you to do....I just laugh and wonder what fool would send a stranger a check or mo for 7,8,9 thousand dollars.....use a credit card and at least protect yourself.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I had a problem with my pj and told them about it. I said that it was better now but they said they wanted it returned and they wanted to give me a new one. They also threw in some other stuff because of it. Not too many other places would do this.

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
Good job Richard. You had your first two threads about IAVI and your Sharp 10000 purchase deleted. It seems you've managed to figure out how to rephrase the thread/question to slip in under the radar... and you even managed to post a price along with it as well (though, I figured from your previous enthusiasm that it would be substantially lower than $9000).

Congratulations! ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.