AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if I could use a y splitter from the sub preout of my reciever to run 2 subs. Would it take away from the one and would it make a difference in surround sound quality. I would also assume the subs have to be identical.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
A second identical sub typically adds ~6 dB to the max output. The subs do not have to be identical, but it's probably easier to get a smooth response if they are. Yes, a Y-cable should work fine. The subs do not have to be co-located, folks have had good luck with all sorts of placement combinations, ranging from stacked on top of one another, to one in front & one behind the couch. Some people run several subs scattered around the run.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaviHitts
I was wondering if I could use a y splitter from the sub preout of my reciever to run 2 subs. Would it take away from the one and would it make a difference in surround sound quality. I would also assume the subs have to be identical.
I recently added a second (Hsu) subwoofer to complement my (front right corner-placed) sub; I placed it along the front soundstage, between my display and left main. The result was not only increased output, but also a smoother frequency response in more listening\\viewing locations.

Highly recommended, but placement and proper calibration are key.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.