AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I use a coaxial cable as my sub cable?

The reason I ask, is that all the "sub" branded cables are far too long for my needs... they all seem to me 8ft+ in length and a 4ft cable would be fine.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
...or a Composite Video Cable for that matter!?

·
Registered
776 Posts
Sure. It will work. I would use the coaxial before the composite though since it will have better shielding.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerm357 /forum/post/14282945

I would use the coaxial before the composite though since it will have better shielding.

They're actually the same cable.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...02&cp_id=10236

A lot of cheapo composite cables (like the freebies that come with DVD players) aren't shielded well, but you can buy ones that are.

I also have a thin coaxial (orange RCA plug) that is identical to a composite except for the plug color. Came free with my cable box.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Should be fine. I just figured you were using cables you already had. In my head I was compairing a good 75ohm coaxial cable with one of those cheap yellow composite video cable they always throw in with new equipment. Im sure you know the ones I mean.

-Sorry did not read the last post untill after.-

·
Registered
300 Posts
They are all 75ohm cables. Tricky marketing schemes. Guy from BlueJeans Cable said you could use a coat hanger! Shielding is something to consider.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers all for the input!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts