AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have no use for the DirecTV receiver, but I also don't want my HD Receiver (tuner?) inside because I want to be able to record OTA broadcasts.

So, can I route my antenna signal through an HTPC and then into the F38310?

And because you're probably wondering why I would consider a TV with an internal component that I don't want....I can't find anything of that size without it at a lower price. I don't want an RPTV due to the size issue and I don't want to have to deal with the screen, mounting, bulb replacement, etc. of a projector. The only other 38" Direct View is way too expensive for me and even the 36" models are more than the F38310.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
You can send a progressive signal into the TV, no problem.

You could use the internal HD receiver when you are recording on your HTPC and want to watch another HD show live :).

Mark

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Make sure you buy a video switch -- withmost HD ready sets you get two component inputs: one for the ATSC tuner/Sat rcvr, and one for a DVD player. Because the ATSC tuner/sat rcvr is inboard, you only get one component input on the F38310.

So if you want to use a DVD player too, you need a component video switch.

BTW, I'm jealous. You can buy an indoor antenna, hook that up to the RCA F38310, and have TWO ATSC OTA tuners. Then you can record one with your STB while watching the other live on the F38310, and never miss a thing!

Joe

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Recording one show while watching another....it hadn't even hit home with me that I wouldn't be able to do this otherwise. I guess I have to get the RCA!

Thanks guys, it's good to finally have this TV decision made. I'll probably drive down to Oregon to buy one this weekend. :)

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Does the 38310 auto switch internally between a DVD component input and a HDTV input when switched externally?

Larry

For some reason the pdf owners manual won't DL from the RCA site!

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by videohot
Does the 38310 auto switch internally between a DVD component input and a HDTV input when switched externally?
?

It is the same input. There is only one component input. There aren't seperate inputs for HDTV and DVD.

If you have a component video switch, and you hook the switch up to the component input, and you change sources, and the sources have different scan rates (480i, 480p, 1080i), the set automatically detects the rate and locks to the signal.

I have the situation above (interlaced DVD player, progressive DVD player, High Definition Digital Cable Box). When you flip from one source to another the set takes a second to lock onto the new signal and then is fine.

One caution:

I don't know of anyone who has attempted to feed 720p over the component input. When I was having my set evaluated by an ISF tech, he fed in test signals over the component input on 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i. The set was unable to lock on the 720p test signal.

edited in: RCA customer service says that you can feed "480i, 480p, and 1080i" into the component video source. They make no mention of 720p. The service rep refused to state definitively that it won't; she didn't know of ANYONE at Thomson that could. My assumption -- because they specifically exclude 720p from the list, and because I was unable to lock onto the 720p test signal, 720p is not supported over the component input on this set. However, the ATSC OTA tuner should be able to tune/convert ABC 720p to 1080i.

Joe

·
Registered
577 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tomwid
So the answer is simply YES, you can, through the component video input.
This may be repetitious, sorry.

Does that mean you can continue to subcribe to DirecTV, enjoy HDnet, etc., then start a subscription to Dishnetwork, install a Dishnetwork dish, buy the Dishnetwork STB, connect the STB to the component in, to get the Discovery HD channel ?

If that works, then OTA goes into the antenna A or B, DirecTV goes into the satellite input, and Dishnetwork into the component input, correct?

Not that I would do it, but that's the best way to get every possible HD channel out there, correct?

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
You can throw in a high definition digital cable box to get HBO HD, Showtime HD and HD Locals too.

Yes.

The simple answer is:

1) The F38310 has two ATSC/NTSC antenna connections. One or both with an antenna will get you OTA high definition. You might want to use two if you are near two cities with OTA digital broadcasts -- point one antenna in one direction, the second antenna in the other direction. I have analog cable on one and an antenna on the second.

2) If you hook up a DirecTV satellite dish you can get HDNet and any other HD channels DirecTV carries

3) The component input can accept 480i, 480p, and 1080i (not, unfortunately, 720p) signals from whatever other sources you want. If you have more than one source of component video, you will need an external component video switch.

Anything with a component video source can be hooked up to it:

1080i High Definition Digital Cable Box, DishNetwork HD Receiver, additional HD STB, etc.

480p Xbox video game, progressive DVD player, etc.

480i DVD, playstation, ReplayTV 4000, etc.

Use your imagination.

Joe

·
Registered
369 Posts
Hey Dr Joe....right now I have my DVD hooked up through component video...and an anolog cable box through Ant B. If I upgraded the anolog cablebox to a HD cable box to get HD locals...could I hook up the HD cable box via the Ant B?? IS there any difference between the component video and the Ant input if the input would be a HD source????

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
The answer to your question as asked is "no". The only "high definition" you get from a HD digital cable box is through the component output. Think about what the cable box is doing: it processes the incomming signal to produce a video signal that is "baseband". It converts the video from "baseband" to component/s-video/composite/rf which it then outputs. High definition channels are ONLY passed through in component form.

That said, it is possible that high definition locals could be transmitted in a way the ATSC tuner could tune them directly -- as I understand it this takes more bandwidth -- and "valuable" channel space from the cable system's "analog" lineup, so most don't do it this way.

Disclaimer: my rationalization below is not guaranteed.

Basically, there are two modulation techniques used to transport TV signals down wires -- and don't ask me what the differences are because I don't know -- 8VSB and QAM256. The way I understand it, "analog" channels are sent using 8VSB, and "digital" channels are sent using QAM256. A channel that your TV set can tune is modulated using the 8VSB technique. Apparently, most regional Time Warner companies send their HD signal out modulated with what is known as QAM256, which you need the digital cable box to decode. If they were to send it in 8VSB "analog" service, as some cable systems do, then your TV _could_ tune it. This would take up space in their "analog" lineup, so I think it is unlikely for most cable companies to do so.

hope this helps,

Joe

·
Registered
369 Posts
Thank You I understand now. Great info Dr. Joe.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.