AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always wanted to see what people thought about this. If you have the correct box volume, would you be able to use a car speaker as a indoor in-wall speaker? How do you think it would sound?

Im thinking more on the lines on component sets

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have considered using some old component sets myself, so here goes imho, fwiw..

Acoustically, car speakers may work well in such an application as most are designed to work flush mounted in a panel, and work well in free air and/or large volume enclosures which may be the case in a large wall cavity or attic. A call to the manufacturer can determine the optimum volume if you build an enclosure.

They are designed to be resistant to heat and moisture, and many have mounting systems, at least for the tweeter that allow it to be aimed.

Hey, this is how most of them are demo'ed to be sold.

The quality of components may well be better than many low-cost in-walls.

May even have a usable grille.

The down side, and its a pretty big one, is most all car speakers are 4 ohm, and very few receivers will tolerate this low of an impedance load, without going into protection, overheating, or distorting. Most all receiver manufacturers give warnings about this and few recommend lower than 6 ohms. If you are using some other amplification you might be alright.

If you already own the speakers, it may be worth a try. Nothing a little drywall and spackling won't take care of if it doesn't.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So it is essentialy the same speakers as a in-wall minus the ohm load?

I think yamaha can switch between 8Ohm and 4Ohm loads..I will have to check my reciever when I get home

·
Registered
1,015 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchmob723\\ /forum/post/0

So it is essentialy the same speakers as a in-wall minus the ohm load?

I think yamaha can switch between 8Ohm and 4Ohm loads..I will have to check my reciever when I get home

I'm not saying that an automobile speaker is the same thing as an in wall speaker. I'm saying that you can wire them so that your amp sees a safe load. You can see if you like their sound. I've never tried that particular application.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.