AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might be dumb, but is it possible to use auto speakers with a home theater? Specifically, a tube-style 12" subwoofer. Strictly a tide-me-over solution until I can get a "real" subwoofer.

Thanks, Greg

·
Registered
279 Posts
You can use them, though if it's powered than you need an AC to DC converter to power the AMP.

If not, just make sure your AMP can support the load, as a lot of car subs run in the 1 - 2- 4ohm range. It all depends on what you are powering it with.

...but it should be able to hold you over till you can get something better.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Quote:
why is it so much worse? I haven't heard much custom car audio stuff, is it really all that sub-par?
TracerBullet, it really all depends on the amount of money spent (like most things). Most car subs for the money when compared to subs for home theater (say an Adire xxxxxx) do not match up with their linear throw, efficiency, and displacement. Also, as Pewter pointed out, the amp you need to power the car sub must be able to handle low ohm loads. In the end and IMO I just don't think it is worth all the effort to get a car sub for home theater solution working when for less effort and money you can produce something better w/o car audio components/drivers/etc.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Clamhead
This might be dumb, but is it possible to use auto speakers with a home theater? Specifically, a tube-style 12" subwoofer....

Ummm...sure. You can also discipline your kids with a 2x4. Gets the job

done...or does it ? I imagine neither you or the kids will be happy with THAT solution......either....

-Sporty

:D

·
Registered
836 Posts
Yes it is possible, given the other considerations to powering the unit.

Why? Why not! I would rather have a car sub than no sub...!!!

And lets dispell some myths here.

Car audio products are not "sub par" compared to home audio.

Just designed differently.

I dare anyone to listen to a properly setup car audio system-and then say it is subpar.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have a image dynamics IDMAX 12 inch sub(450 dollar sub driver alone) with a 720 watt pioneer amp in my livingroom(temporary)

it's extremely loud and it plays pretty low in the car because of cabin gain but once i put it into my livingroom the thing does perform really well but during movies it doesn't go really low, although it's a nice car sub it doesn't even compare to my dad's earthquake supernova 10

http://www.imagedynamicsusa.com/

Tom Nousaine did a review on it....

on second thought , i might get a better amp for it and see how it performs

·
Registered
57 Posts
YES!

I am using 4 Dynaudio 30W100's that were bought to use in a car, decided to compound them and put them under my couch crossed over at about 30 hz with an MTX rt10 crossover (car piece also, using 12 volt trigger from lexicon DC1 to power it). Works very well.

Buggy

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Car woofers>>> home woofers >>>same components, different design. When I worked with Rockford Fosgate and went to IASCA sound-off's I experienced some deep, articulate bass from some cars.

Most of the time, however the cabinet (enclosure) for a home theater subwoofer is more solid and braced better than a car sub. Driver construction is sometimes similar. Some drivers designed for car ystems can actually crunch some home subs. My vote is even a weaker car sub for temporary use is better than no sub.

·
Registered
911 Posts
How else are you gonna get that real Drive-in experience in your HT?

·
Registered
980 Posts
The real question is: If you use a sub from a car do you also have to tint your livingroom windows, hang fuzzy dice from the ceiling fan and put some chrome on the couch?

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JRace

And lets dispell some myths here.

Car audio products are not "sub par" compared to home audio.

Just designed differently.
hi,

i was thinking of starting a separate thread, but here goes.....

how are car audio drivers different? what are the goals to be achieved? [ for example .... efficiency?? dispersion pattern? ]

thanks

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Well, the best subwoofer drivers like Eminence which are thrown in M&K cabinets www.mksound.com and Eminence is also used in the coveted Contrabass and B-DEAP cabinets www.servobass.com, some drivers like JL Audio, Power Series, or DVC Series from Rockford Fosgate and others are built solid like a home sub. Power handling, Fs, and excursion is another factor. Cerwin Vega Strokers had adjustable excursion. But it is the cabinets (enclosures) they makes such an impact on bass articulate quality and who deep the driver plays.

·
Registered
311 Posts
The Earthquake Supernova MKVI is using the Magna driver designed for auto use.

The Adire Sadhara is based on the modified Brahma driver.

The original SVS CS Ultra driver is based on an auto sub also.

There are many other home subs with the auto drivers in them that we are not aware of.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Since we're on the topic of Subwoofers I thought I'd chime in on Transducers. Correct me if I'm wrong but I read that Aura bass shakers started off in the automotive industry. Then into Home Theaters. The same units (25 WATT shakers) in fact seem to have automotive information on the packaging.

Use what you have, as posted above taking into consideration the wiring requirements. And if you have $25.00 get yourself a pair of @ss Shakers to boot. It'll be the single most least expensive hardware you ever buy for your home theater.!

Cheers,

Requis

·
Registered
582 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Requis
Since we're on the topic of Subwoofers I thought I'd chime in on Transducers. Correct me if I'm wrong but I read that Aura bass shakers started off in the automotive industry. Then into Home Theaters. The same units (25 WATT shakers) in fact seem to have automotive information on the packaging.

Use what you have, as posted above taking into consideration the wiring requirements. And if you have $25.00 get yourself a pair of @ss Shakers to boot. It'll be the single most least expensive hardware you ever buy for your home theater.!

And for whats it worth not a dumb thread at all I've often thought the same thing!

Cheers,

Requis

·
Registered
720 Posts
Just posted this over in the DiY forum. Maybe it'll help answer your question:

I'm a huge car audio enthusiast and have a $4000 sound system in my car. I don't listen to rap or hip-hop so don't get the wrong impression

I had an idea to build my own subwoofer to use with my computer. I have (2) Polk RTi600s for mains and a Sherwood RD-6108 for my receiver. Total cost: $260. I had a spare MTX Blue Thunder 10" subwoofer in my closest from my old car and decided to use that driver for my setup. I used WinISD Pro to determine the best cabinet design and opted for a 0.75 cubic foot sealed enclosure (on the verge of making it ported). I then made the box out of MDF that I got for $1 at Lowes because I found a piece of scrap they were going to throw away. Construction of the box took about an hour and I finished it with box carpet (like they use in cars) and it looks fantastic.

For power I'm using an old MTX car amplifier (Thunder 304) which puts out ~200 watts RMS bridged in a 4-ohm load. To supply power to the amplifier I'm using an old Pyramid AC-DC power supply which puts out 22 amps of 12.5 volt current. I hooked the sub up to the amp and gave it a listen. I almost crapped my pants!

I have a Velodyne CHT120 downstairs and used to have a Polk PSW404 and this sub sounds just as good as the Velodyne and better than the Polk did. I turned on WinISD Pro and did some testones and she sounds flat down to about 35hz. which is perfect for what I'm using it for.

All in all I'd call this project a HUGE success. I'm getting roughly $400 subwoofer performance for $1! I had all the parts in my basement and closet except for the 3/4" MDF which I practically stole for $1. This little project is making me want to DiY a few more things, namely a new subwoofer for my theatre. Just need to learn how to veneer things or finish it with oak and spend the $$$ to make it look fantastic. Was thinking of building an end-table subwoofer so the WAF would be high. Still undecided.

Oh well, just thought I'd release some of my positive energy here for I'm beyond elated. Time to test a few video games!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mazeroth,

I started this thread with exactly your situation in mind. I'm currently in the market for a new sub, but I keep looking at this older 12" tube sub I used to have in my car, and wondering how to utilize it. I also have a couple of Phoenix Gold amps that used to power this thing. Anyway, can you recommend some places to look for a AC-DC converter?

Thanks.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Clamhead,

As far as where to get a decent AC-DC converter I have no idea. I got this from work for free about 5 years ago. I know they're not cheap. This one is a 23 amp which is a perfect size for my amplifier and I think it ran somewhere around $100. Do a search on google or ebay for a DC power supply and try Pyramid for the brand. See what you come up with. Gotta run to work!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.