AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if I can use the soundcard SPDIF for sound from the MyHD card. I just received a 65' custom coax cable to run from the M-audio card, now I'd have to run a second 65' coax cable? Please tell me the MyHD card can use the sound card SPDIF as an option...?

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
I'm running the output from TT and MyHD thru the motherboard S/PDIF connector using standard DirectSound drivers.

If you have a problem doing the same with M Audio soundcard it's because of bad drivers.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Cliff Watson
If you have a problem doing the same with M Audio soundcard it's because of bad drivers.
LOL! :D

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ElvisIncognito
LOL! :D
One year and two weeks after the release of Revo 7.1 it still had the original 47 bugs I found during beta testing.

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've never had a HTPC before, so I don't know where you are coming from... Is there a definitive answer? I have no problem returning the 7.1 card and getting a different sound card... It is still in the box (just got it last week and is unopened.

I can get a different M-Audio card or a different sound card altogether. I picked M-Audio because of their good reputation. Would you recommend I get the audiophile 24/96 USB instead? I'm looking to connect to a Meridian 861 and the main reason I hesitated going to HTPC in the first place was the fact I had to connect to a computer: as such computers are noisy RF emitters as it is... Would appreciate any advice...

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Cliff Watson
I'm running the output from TT and MyHD thru the motherboard S/PDIF connector using standard DirectSound drivers.

Same here. So far I have not been able with my 410 to get sound out in a realiable way from MyHD or TT. I very recently decided to give my cheap ASUS onboard S/PDIF a try. So far everything seems to work just fine (was never the case with M-Audio) . It needs more testing, though, to say for sure...

____

Axel

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Health Nut
????
What I mean is:

- MyHD audio out through my 410 => never got it to work (M-Audio driver problem strongly suspected)

- MyHD audio out through my on-board ASUS S/PDIF => seems to work like a charm

_____

Axel

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I understand... I meant the ???? as just frustrated and about to give up on going HTPC.... Not sure what to do. Don't feel like getting another 65' run of coax, but that would be possible... just makes this whole process that much more expensive and unappealing.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have used both the maudio Revo (coax spdif) and a cheaper sound card, the mad dog entertainer (optical spdif). I found no improvement in the sound quality for spdif output that my Intel D845PEBT2 motherboard provides, plus I saved a few bucks. I tried the other soundcards just to confirm I was getting the best sound. FYI, I don't require the use of analog output. I also have the MyHD card and spdif output works just fine for me over the PCI bus to the motherboard spdif output.

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I picked M-audio because I did not wan't 44.1 to 48 kHz upsampling, kmixer issues or whatever else I hear about. As a Meridian 861 owner and a huge investment in audio gear, such as (7) Brystin 7BST monoblocks, etc..) I tend to want something as bulletproof as a stand-alone DVD/CD player... I am definitely going to make a music player out of my PC, that much is certain... The appeal of going to a HTPC was to eliminate the need for any external player or an external STB... I'm not too happy about going 65 feet with coax cable as it is, so I'm just starting to waiver a lot on whether it is worth it to me to go HTPC in my current situation.

That being said, I wonder if I should go with another M-Audio card such as an external USB version for higher quality (less RF?). Or a different brand?

I have onboard sound (SoundMax?)with my Intel board for cheap 2.0 PC speakers.

Is Jitter a big issue with PC playback? I heard it is a big deal... whether you can hear it or not is another story, but....

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
On the Delta 410, you can use the SPDIF input and feed it with the coax digital output of the MyHD and check the box on the mixer to accept the SPDIF input and it will pass the signal, of course, you need to uncheck this box to use the soundcard normally.

Jim

·
Registered
423 Posts
cliff and axel: what kind of motherboard (specific model number) are you using and does it use the c-media 8738 chip?

bob

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
On the Delta 410, you can use the SPDIF input and feed it with the coax digital output of the MyHD and check the box on the mixer to accept the SPDIF input and it will pass the signal, of course, you need to uncheck this box to use the soundcard normally.
Jim,

Thank-you very much for that suggestion. I suppose that is an acceptable way to avoid running two coax cables. It is somwehat important for me to be able to control things easily... that might mean having to use DVD lobby to unswitch that button andthat further complicates the situation.damn this going back and forth stuff. Now I'm thinking of going client/server again... I already have a lot of components for a second PC... I need tothink some more. Tradeoffs of another PC is having to have a quiet client... I was going that route initially but didn't see a need for a client in the HT room if all I needed was a 65' coax cable. Then there is the issue of controlling everything by pocket PC/DVDlobby... Time out for me...

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
I know that using the "send message" commands in Girder that it can be checked and unchecked on the fly, I of course get a little confused in setting this up, so I could not be of help in this, but I know that others have done this successfully. Just a FYI.

Jim

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bbobbo
cliff and axel: what kind of motherboard (specific model number) are you using and does it use the c-media 8738 chip?

bob
Bob,

I'm using the ASUS P4P800 Deluxe mobo with Analog Devices AD1985 6-channel audio CODEC and one Coax S/PDIF connector.

Note that I no longer try to use a PC for music of any kind, don't use the 6-channel analog output period. It is used strictly for DVD movies and HDTV with audio over coax to my preamp.

For music (Redbook CD, SACD, and DVD-audio) I use a STB.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Health Nut:

I appreciate your confusion. Quick question re your intentions: do you have any need or reason to want ANALOG sound out of your PC?

If so, then I suggest that you keep the M-Audio card and find a way to use Girder (in conjunction with ML/DVDLobby) to change your audio settings when you switch from digital out (TT, MyHD) to analog out (MC9, whatever). In other words, use your motherboard spdif output for all digital sources, but use the M-Audio card for all analog outputs.

If you have no intention of ever using analog outputs from your HTPC, then I'd return the M-Audio card and use your motherboard's sound for digital out.

Like Axel, I have had just too many problems with TT and MyHD and my M-Audio Delta 410 card. I intend to pull my HTPC out of its rack tomorrow and install the SPDIF output for my motherboard and use it exclusively for TT and MyHD. I'll leave the Delta card in place, however, for multichannel ANALOG playback, and just use Girder to switch outputs when necessary.

- Ken

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bbobbo

bob

I have a ASUS P4T533-C. According to ASUS is has a Realtek ALC650 6-channel CODEC. However, I am only interested in a digital signal (i.e. S/PDIF pass-through) for DVD (TT) and HDTV (MyHD), no analog at all.

_____

Axel

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by vfrjim
I know that using the "send message" commands in Girder that it can be checked and unchecked on the fly, I of course get a little confused in setting this up, so I could not be of help in this, but I know that others have done this successfully. Just a FYI.

Jim

My initial trials with the onboard ASUS S/PDIF indicate that I can set TT and MyHD up ONCE and be done with it.... no need for a 410 and Girder scripts at all - and all the headaches that come with it :D.

____

Axel

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.