AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 270 Posts

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There has been some talk throughout the industry recently that the lifecycle of the current crop of systems is going to be extended by several years from the normal 5 year cycle. Obviously, the current worldwide economic meltdown has alot to do with that. Had we never had this meltdown of our economy, it would have been expected that we would have seen a followup to the Xbox 360 in November 2010. Now, it's expected that the followup will be delayed by at least two years, till November 2012. Considering the Xbox 360 launched in November 2005, it's a pretty long wait for the next system from Microsoft.

Assuming we really do have to wait 4 more years, till November 2012... Can you deal with that long of a wait?

·
Registered
9,431 Posts
Is there a choice?

·
Registered
585 Posts
As long as good games keep coming out, yes.

I don't really see a box that goes into production next year making a huge leap over the current 360.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Good, this way more games can be developed better and released for this gen. I dont spend $400+ on a system and $60 on each game to have the system last a little while. i understand everyone wants newest and best, but take those extra 2 years and develop something w/ less problems and let us enjoy gaming.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cygnus311 /forum/post/15553229

Might as well make it 5 because I'm not buying one until they prove they can build one that doesn't fail.

Um, they did. The original Xbox was a tank.

·
Registered
639 Posts
If they keep enhancing the functionality and releasing good games, then absolutely.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj /forum/post/15553105

Is there a choice?

/thread.

·
Registered
491 Posts
yeah, i can easily wait as my buying habits have changed alot over they years...i used to play all sports...then all FPS and now..i don't know. i am not sure if the latest graphics will do it for me.

i couldn't wait EVEN longer if controllers, video cables and games are not backwards compatible!

·
Registered
2,157 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cygnus311 /forum/post/15553229

might as well make it 5 because i'm not buying one until they prove they can build one that doesn't fail.

+1

·
Registered
2,138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenkaipalm /forum/post/15553251

Um, they did. The original Xbox was a tank.

So the trend is they are getting worse and I should buy their next one?

It wasn't a tank either. My first one failed, and I had to buy the remake without the Thomson DVD drive

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I can wait as long as there are still good PC games to play that will feed my need for plenty of AA and high res textures.

·
Registered
565 Posts
The technological leaps from generation to generation are getting smaller and smaller, which necessarily results in longer gaps between systems. I have no problem with this. My experiences have been very positive this generation with awesome game after awesome game and a new system wouldn't enhance my experience all that much.

·
Registered
5,949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cygnus311 /forum/post/0

The trend is that MS knew that gamers will buy shoddily made crap as long as the games were good, so they rushed out the system and cut corners on testing it to get it out in 2005.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cygnus311 /forum/post/15553499

It wasn't a tank either. My first one failed, and I had to buy the remake without the Thomson DVD drive

Console reliability is mostly anecdotal evidence, and most would tell you the original box, compared to the 360 and the PS2, was solid and reliable hardware. Of course, everyone also complained that it was too big and ugly. The PS2 was junk, but it was sleek and pretty. This gen, MS decides to cram faster, hotter, hardware into a smaller prettier space, while Sony makes the big and ugly box built like a tank. Funny how that worked out.

All consoles not made by Nintendo die at some point. I'm sure I'm not the only one who had to flip his PS1 upside to get it to boot. Went through 2 of those. 5 PS2's. 3 360's. 2 PS3's. No company can make a bulletproof console that doesn't fail at some point.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I believe they are working on one now but won't release until they can squeeze all the juice out the ones we currently have and when 3-d has an basic standard then you will see a new xbox but I don't think it will be 2010 either more like 2011 or 2012

·
Registered
1,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing /forum/post/15553698

The trend is that MS knew that gamers will buy shoddily made crap as long as the games were good, so they rushed out the system and cut corners on testing it to get it out in 2005.

True. It's the nature of gamers, those of us who blew into NES cartridges til we passed out, or risked the life of our PS2's by recalibrating the pots on the laser just to get it to read a disc. But MS also knew that there was no way they could beat Sony on even ground. Without that year headstart, we'd all be talking about how stupid third-place Microsoft was for not getting the 360 out before the PS3.

1 - 20 of 270 Posts