AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have narrowed down my search for remotes to either the Harmony SST-659 or the HTM MX-700, but have one question that can not be found through a search.

What I'd like to do:

I have Scientific Atlanta 3100HD box from TWC and when I watch standard def through S video, I would like to program the remote to control the volume through my Toshiba 50HX81 RPTV. When I watch a hidef program, like say the upcoming Super Bowl (Go Panthers!), I would like to program the remote to control the volume through my receiver (5.1).

I looked at the test drive on harmony's site, and it asks you to tell it how you would like to control the volume for the Watch TV activity.

Could I just setup a Watch HDTV activity and program it to use the receiver for volume, or will i need to change the device control over to my receiver after I hit the Watch HDTV activity? I'm looking for one touch control here, while using to different volume options.

Is either of these remotes a better fit for what I'm trying to do?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'm using the SST-659 and yes- you just add a second activity 'Watch HDTV' and you can customize the remote specifically and independently for that task.

I can't comment on which remote would be better, but it works just fine with the SST-659.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I could think of a couple of ways to do this on the MX-700. One would be to create 2 different devices where the volume control on one is your TV's volume and the volume on the other is your receiver's. Or, you could create one device and use 2 of the programmable LCD hard buttons as your secondary volume control. If you have free device spots, then the first option is not really a waste. As a side note, if you did go the first route, you could go a step further and include a goto command as one of LCD hard buttons in each device that would let you easily switch between them.

Jeff

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know the Harmony connects via usb to your pc, but is the MX-700 connected through serial?

If so, has anyone had a problem with their serial port taken up by an IR blaster (Actisys IR200L) that you may have in use? I use this for changing channels through snapstream.

I guess I could just use another pc's unused serial port to configure the remote if that is the case.

I just think it's strange that HTM didn't go with USB to avoid compatibility issues.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Yes, the MX-700 connects through a serial port. You can always buy a USB to serial adapter cable if you needed an extra serial port.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Both will do what you want. On the MX-700 the feature is referred to as "punch through".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.