AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a scene in U-571 where the depth charges are going off above the submarine.

There is no high pitch nor any other sound when the low frequency depth charges go off so the sound coming from the subwoofer is very apparent . My subwoofer becomes quite distracting at that point because you can hear the driver working..this isn't the same as port chuffing but you can hear the woofer..like it is struggling. It is very distracting.

The guy at the shop said that hardly any subwoofers can handle that scene because the frequencies are too low to reproduce. All you should be hearing or feeling in that scene is low frequency rumble not the subwoofer's driver working over-time. This occurs in that same scene even at very moderate volumes so it is not volume related.

Is this what you call 'bottoming' ? It almost sound as though either the woofer is not long enough or that there is too much power which the driver cannot handle.

I am using a Whatmough Tempest Mk11 subwoofer. It has a 10 inch driver and 300 watt RMS amplifier.

Alright guys I need you guys to chime in here with the brands and models you have that can handle that scene...

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
I think I remember someone posting a link to a plot of that scene that shows just how low it goes. Hopefully someone will post the link again.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I watched that movie with my new SVS PC+ and thought it sounded great. I had the receiver cranked way up and didn't hear any problems with the subwoofer.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Those bloody SVS subs !!! : )I wished there was a distributor in Australia. There is one for HSU but not for SVS. The problem Ordering a SVS sub from Australia is that if anything goes wrong..I’ve got to fork out $275 US to send the thing back to SVS then another $275 to get it back to me again..this makes it an impossible proposition. No doubt for the money SVS subs will do the job better than most.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
lyndon,

When I play that scene with my PC Ultra, the room breathes. That's about the best way I can describe it. You feel like you're being depth charged.

Tim

·
Registered
692 Posts
Lyndonlim,

While that was more a comment than a direct question I have to reply ;^). Fact is, we ship down under frequently. Subs nearly never have to come back for repair either (we send parts instead if the worst happens). Drop us a line if you want to explore it at all.

Ron

SVS

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by OvalNut
lyndon,

When I play that scene with my PC Ultra, the room breathes. That's about the best way I can describe it. You feel like you're being depth charged.

Tim
Ohh..shut up ! : ) There are too many of you guys around. Its like a disease...and I want to catch it. Too many favourable reviews, too many testimonies...and the price is right too.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Stimpson
Lyndonlim,

While that was more a comment than a direct question I have to reply ;^). Fact is, we ship down under frequently. Subs nearly never have to come back for repair either (we send parts instead if the worst happens). Drop us a line if you want to explore it at all.

Ron

SVS
Look ! They have even provided an immediate and viable solution to a sales barrier and concern. SVS, you deserve to rule the world of subwoofers !!!

You guys not only seem to producing mean subwoofers at the best prices but you run a mean and effective marketing set-up. 10/10 testimonies say that you practive what you preach...what more can I say... I am sold. Will get in touch with you shortly.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
That movie is brutal in all frequencies. You've got the depth charges weighing heavily on your sub, then you've got the machine gun fire scenes on and in the U-boat with bullets flying off the metal to test your tweets.. AND your ear drums.

But you gotta love it. :)

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
I just tried it with my dual Hsu VTF-3 MK II subs and had the volume cranked so loud I thought th house was coming down on me. No problems here, everything sounded great other than the assault I was under.

·
Banned
516 Posts
This is one more reason I went IB. It's funny what 4 15"s will put out without hardly budging. It feels like you should be in the sub & my subs will be moving maybe just a couple mm. Get them in full motion & it will make you wont to duck & cover.

·
Registered
324 Posts
That's the exact scene I demo'd an Energy s10.3 with. I was more than surprised that the 10" could handle that at the level the guy turned it up. He even told us to turn it up louder if we felt it wasn't loud enough. :eek:

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndonlim
My subwoofer becomes quite distracting at that point because you can hear the driver working..this isn't the same as port chuffing but you can hear the woofer..like it is struggling. It is very distracting.

Is this what you call 'bottoming' ? It almost sound as though either the woofer is not long enough or that there is too much power which the driver cannot handle.
Likely excessive harmonic distortion. This creates false multiples of the really deep bass frequencies that your subwoofer is supposed to be playing. And yes, it is very distracting, and makes it easy to localize the subwoofer.

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
Too bad that movie was scripted by someone with no concept of WW2 submarine warfare.

Sub captains never attacked ships from the bow or the stern, they had to attack the sides of ships to have any chance at all. Ugh and real sub warfare is exciting stuff, but was left out.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Mullen
Likely excessive harmonic distortion. This creates false multiples of the really deep bass frequencies that your subwoofer is supposed to be playing. And yes, it is very distracting, and makes it easy to localize the subwoofer.
Yes. Exactly right in terms of being able to localize where the subwoofer is when the scene is going on..distortion is definitely the right word to describe it. It doesn’t seem like a lot of the SVS nor HSU owners are complaining a lot about at all. How does a manufacturer counter this? Is it the same variables again: woofer size, power and size of cabinet construction? Or is this cause mainly by one variable: woofer size and depth of incursion?

·
Registered
487 Posts
While having some very nice low end in it (U-571), there are worse sub torture movies. Or one might say even better deeper bass material that has been released since U-571.

Your current sub seems to be a weak link aparently for you when playing "deeper" bass material..

Your 10" sub could possibly be unloading=distortion below it's tuning point and thats what your hearing especially since you mentioned the problem even at lower volumes, not the driver bottoming as that is a (very distinct sounding "clack").!

As others have mentioned, no problem here either with the depth charge explosions even at high/er spls. As the dentist says while pulling a tooth, pressure pressure.. :D

DasBoot is another sub movie you might give a spin when you get your new Hz digger, be it what ever it might be..

Yes the movie U-571 is not perfect in all respects to WWII sub warfare, but thats not the question here..

Cheers ¥

·
Registered
59 Posts
I rented and watched U-571 tonight because of this thread.

(LOL; I'm such a loser. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/images/icons/icon6.gif )

First of all, I could have written a better screenplay sitting on the John. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/image...ies/tongue.gif

This movie virtually sucks in some ways, while being absolutely engrossing in others.

Why Bill Paxton for the captain?

Geez, it sounded to me like he actually wrote his own lines.

LOL, remember "the Vette, gets 'em wet" from True Lies?

I almost laughed out loud when he said " she's old, but she'll hold"

Sound effects are very intense, but honestly, my Servo-15 was not breaking a sweat on the LFE.

The distant-depth-charge-infrasonic-shake-the-room scene runs perfectly, but I can see how it might degenerate into nondescript midbass rumble.

Certainly, a small driver is gonna rattle and double audibly at high levels with this scene.

The Incredibles is a far more demanding (and IMO a far better movie), especially with regard to high level infrasonics.

There's one scene that causes my preamp to clip!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.