AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 1284 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Preamps work best for distant stations, whereas for near stations they can pose a problem of signal overload. I installed the Channel Master Spartan 3 preamp on my antenna and I also added a Radio Shack variable attenuator to deal with the large signal loads for the nearest transmitters.

Here are the various items that can add signal loss:

Balun

Preamp (added noise to boosted signal)

Coaxial cable (lots of dB loss at higher frequencies)

Splitters

·
Registered
16,689 Posts
Before you guys run out and start buying preamps that live NW of the CN tower, when the DTV stations start fireing up, you will probably have a problem with overload since it (CN tower) will be in line with the US stations!

I know, I have a MAJOR problem with the 3 on that 'foreign country' of Grand Island interfering with 19, 41 & 47! BTW, that's why WNED erected their antenna where it is now, so we can't receive ch 19! No pledge $$ for Canada!

·
Registered
614 Posts
One question in regard to picture quality. I find the HD pic . quality from ExpressVu HD is not very good, due to excessive video compression. I wonder how OTA HD looks like? I am comparing Dishnetwork to ExpressVu . Thanks in advance!

Alex

·
Registered
56 Posts
Glad I found you folks. Been hanging out in the Buffalo thread. Where did you get your OTA receivers? I may have to make a run to Buffalo or turn to Ebay - but I'm hoping that someone knows of a Canadian dealer/supplier with a storefront..

Can you help out a fellow Canadian OTA-HD'R ??

Thanks

(BTW - I'm in Mississauga)

·
Registered
350 Posts
The only place I've seen any OTA receivers is from Samsung, but not in Canada.

Using any Dishnet 6000 or 811 (or ExpressVu series 6000) receiver, you can add the QPSK module for OTA. Or, get an HDTV that includes an ATSC tuner, like the SANYO at WalMart, or the next releases of SONY WEGAs.

OTA HD looks excellent -- no compression, and no sim-subbing.

·
Registered
350 Posts
An indoor antenna will probably only get you the Toronto locals. Take a look at the earlier Toronto threads here or on the Buffalo threads as to what's available. The SilverSensor or a Radio Shack bow tie are probably OK for local indoor use.

·
Registered
22 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by intrac
An indoor antenna will probably only get you the Toronto locals.

Well, I'm in Mississauga at Britannia and Winston Churchill and using a Radio Shack 15-1880 indoor antenna I receive all the Buffalo and Toronto stations except WNYO-DT. Granted, the area is newer so not many trees around. Still, the antenna is sitting on the floor in the second storey of my house, pointed at the wall.

Using the same antenna, I can barely register the Buffalo analog channels (23 and 29 are the only ones I can get in good quality without major tweaking). 2 doesn't appear at all, 4 & 7 are more noise than picture. 49 takes a lot of adjustment to get a crappy picture. The point of this paragraph is, even though I can't receive the Buffalo analog channels, I can receive the Buffalo digitals almost perfectly with a crappy indoor antenna. (oops, time to go watch Lost on WKBW-DT!! Hope to they remember to flip the HD switch!)

P.S. I'm using a Samsung SIRT-151.

·
Registered
21 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by jeneral
Well, I'm in Mississauga at Britannia and Winston Churchill and using a Radio Shack 15-1880 indoor antenna I receive all the Buffalo and Toronto stations except WNYO-DT. Granted, the area is newer so not many trees around. Still, the antenna is sitting on the floor in the second storey of my house, pointed at the wall.

Using the same antenna, I can barely register the Buffalo analog channels (23 and 29 are the only ones I can get in good quality without major tweaking). 2 doesn't appear at all, 4 & 7 are more noise than picture. 49 takes a lot of adjustment to get a crappy picture. The point of this paragraph is, even though I can't receive the Buffalo analog channels, I can receive the Buffalo digitals almost perfectly with a crappy indoor antenna. (oops, time to go watch Lost on WKBW-DT!! Hope to they remember to flip the HD switch!)

P.S. I'm using a Samsung SIRT-151.

I've had some experiences I wish to share with this same Radio Shack (indoor) antenna. In Burlington (Upper Middle and Burloak), this antenna picks up all of the Buffalo HD channels without problem. SD is also quite clear. It is mounted inside on a shelf unit on the 2nd storey.

However, trying this same antenna in Ancaster (403/Golf Links), I get no signal from any of the Buffalo networks (regardless of where I put it). SD is very blurry as well. I have been researching to try and find my best solution, but so far obtaining information for my specific area has been troublesome at best. Most places that sell the bigger antenna apllications know very little about HD and they all want to erect a 40 foot mast with a 15' VHF/UHF antenna on it and pre-amps. I am sorry, but I can't justify spending $1000+ to receive a few HD channels OTA. If anyone has any suggestions for me, I'm all ears. I'm leaning towards trying out the Channel Master 4228 and 4248 next, but until I can find someone that has them in stock, I'll be resorting to other smaller antennas to try.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Gentlemen: While I am not a Canadian, I have to tell you about a terrific manufacturer of TV antennas which are home-grown in Canada. You may be aware of Wade Antenna, but did you know that they make some of the finest outdoor TV antennas in the business! For most of you who are discovering HDTV over-the-air for the first time, they are a terrific resource. I use them extensively in my work here in Connecticut, and find them to be powerful and rugged. For those of you who have questions about TV antennas, OTA tuners and reception issues, I suggest making a visit to http://www.***************.com. The Antennas forum is a wealth of information about antenna and OTA HDTV issues, and it is a friendly and accessible place.

·
Registered
21 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by intrac
Copter, have you tried reaching any of the possible dealers on page 1 of this thread?

No, I try to start locally (which I have exhausted). I will extend my search to Toronto now, but I doubt the Toronto dealers will know much about my specific area. To me, the best information would come from another end-user who has it working in my area (Ancaster).

·
Registered
614 Posts
When I am still waiting to get my ExpressVu6000 OTA tuner from ebay, I took my old Terk indoor antenna to my friend's house who bought the 70" Grand Wega that comes with OTA HD tuner. He lives around Warden and 16th. I was able to pick up analog CTV pretty good plus four to five more analog channels, but not a single digital / HD channels, does it make any sense?

Alex

·
Registered
614 Posts
If one to use antenna like CM 4228, is it necessary to use a rotor to fine tune the channels? Is it just pointed at any particular direction? Thanks!

Alex

·
Registered
16,689 Posts
Yes absolutely, unless you live NW of the CN tower and don't want anything but that and the WNY stations since they will be all in the same direction!

Rotors aren't that expensive and it CAN be installed in an attic hanging from the rafters upside down.

·
Registered
350 Posts
The CM4228 has a relatively broad beamwidth and good gain, which means that you probably don't need a rotator, if you are fairly well facing the CN Tower.

The WNY stations are all slightly to the left of the tower, facing south. I've run lat/long and bearings, and from the Bayview/Steeles area, the distances to the WNY stations run from 60 miles to 89 miles, and the bearing are from 149 to 156 degrees, so a rotator, from my area, isn't needed. The CM4228 has a beamwidth of about 23 degrees.

If you start geeting a rotator, you should then go for a narrower beamwidth antenna.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I am from Bayview/ 16th. If I were to use CM4228, I would have it facing south? Intrac, where did you buy your antenna? Thanks!

Alex

·
Registered
350 Posts
You would aim S.S.E -- about 150 degrees from your home.

Your latitude would only be a few more seconds N of me. I got mine through a friend that deals with Andrew Antenna.

Go to page 1 of this thread for local dealers that sell this antenna.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just received my Dell W4200HD plasma TV with a built-in ATSC and NTSC tuner. I am a newbie to this but want to feed some HD signal to my new unit. I am trying to figure out the best way to do this. Supposedly, Rogers requires me to rent/buy their Scientific Atlantic Reciever + $20/mth to get Digtial and HD signal. I mentioned that I already have an HD tuner but they told me they need some "serial number" to set up the feed. Can anyone confirm this?

My understanding from reading this thread is that I can buy a DB8 or other OTA HD Antenna and plug it into my TV to get HD channels for free....is that correct? Do I need to buy any other equipment (i.e. another HD tuner)? I am in Thornhill.

thanks

·
Registered
350 Posts
Don't believe what Rogers is telling you. If you have an ATSC tuner, you can receive OTA HD. You don't need anything else except an external UHF antenna.

They could be referring to a CableCard -- which some of the newer receiver/monitors have. The CableCard eliminates the Rogers STB (but doesn't do VOD).

21 - 40 of 1284 Posts