AVS Forum banner

1221 - 1240 of 1284 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm not able to edit my post/title, to add my location. My location is Toronto, to make it clear for everyone.

My TV Fool link: ?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d9038b3d408dfde

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
I'm not able to edit my post/title, to add my location. My location is Toronto, to make it clear for everyone.

Thank you for the short link to your report and to ctdish for the active link. That report puts your location in High Park, 3.7 miles WNW of the CN Tower. The report states that it isn't accurate as far as location is concerned. With the CN Tower so close, small changes in your location can make a big difference. At least the tower isn't in the same direction as Buffalo.

It will be difficult, but probably not impossible, to receive the Buffalo channels. If you aim your DB8e at Buffalo, it might make the local channels weak enough so that they will not cause overload. You will probably not be able to use a preamp to make the Buffalo signals stronger; it would most likely be overloaded.

The difference in azimuth is at least 46 degrees between the local channels and the Buffalo channels.

Looking at the DB8e antenna pattern, the local channels would only be about 7 dB weaker than the Buffalo channels because there is a secondary lobe at 45 degrees off aim. With the 91XG or the HDB91X, the local channels would be about 14 dB weaker.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
Scotty45

I hope you will find your way back here to where your thread was moved. Some new posters lose track of their thread when it is moved.

I suggest you contact cgtoronto on the digitalhome.ca forum. He is even closer to the CN Tower than you are, and has found a way to receive the Buffalo channels and the Toronto channels.

This is a recent post by him:
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/129...utdoor-antennas-only-ota-207.html#post3050890

This is his TVFool report:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=9038a01384b5fc

This map shows his location:

This shows how close he is to the CN Tower:

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you for the short link to your report and to ctdish for the active link. That report puts your location in High Park, 3.7 miles WNW of the CN Tower. The report states that it isn't accurate as far as location is concerned. With the CN Tower so close, small changes in your location can make a big difference. At least the tower isn't in the same direction as Buffalo.

It will be difficult, but probably not impossible, to receive the Buffalo channels. If you aim your DB8e at Buffalo, it might make the local channels weak enough so that they will not cause overload. You will probably not be able to use a preamp to make the Buffalo signals stronger; it would most likely be overloaded.

The difference in azimuth is at least 46 degrees between the local channels and the Buffalo channels.

Looking at the DB8e antenna pattern, the local channels would only be about 7 dB weaker than the Buffalo channels because there is a secondary lobe at 45 degrees off aim. With the 91XG or the HDB91X, the local channels would be about 14 dB weaker.
I don't have the DB8e antenna only the Clearstream 2MAX, which is used indoors. I'm going to be making an attempt to install it on my roof but thought of maybe possibly giving the DB8e (or the HDB91X) a try as I'd like to get more channels from Buffalo as it will be a venture to stick it on the roof. I want to be clear that I do get channels from CNTower/Buffalo, which I'll list below, for an indoor antenna it's not bad.

Virtual Channel ID
4-1
4-2
5-1
9-1
11-1
19-1
23-1
23-2
25-1
29-1
29-2
29-3
36-1
40-1
41-1
47-1
57-1

The channels: 4-1, 4-2 and 11-1 have signal loss, but that's understandable because the antenna is indoors. From my initial post the image I had shown channels I could obtain if having taken other measures [which was my initial thought to have a somewhat 70+ mile range antenna with a gain of 17.4 dBi, instead of the 60+ range and a gain of UHF 8.7 dBi / VHF 2.6 dBi.) These networks listed below, which are in the grey column says its 60 miles away from me, shouldn't it be able to pick it up with a stronger gain than 8.7 dBi (my current antenna?)

Channel networks I hope to get:

(WBXZ-LP): ?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d9038b3d408dfde%26t%3dALLTV%26n%3d31

(WBNF-CD): ?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d9038b3d408dfde%26t%3dALLTV%26n%3d42

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
The channels: 4-1, 4-2 and 11-1 have signal loss, but that's understandable because the antenna is indoors.
WIVB CBS, real channel 39, virtual channel 4.1, has adjacent channel interference from CJMT on real channel 40, as indicated by the red "a" next to its callsign in your report. CJMT is 38.9 dB stronger than WIVB. A tuner is not expected to reject adjacent channel interference any greater than 33 dB.

WIVB will be moving to channel 32:
https://www.rabbitears.info/market.php?request=station_search&callsign=WIVB

From my initial post the image I had shown channels I could obtain if having taken other measures [which was my initial thought to have a somewhat 70+ mile range antenna with a gain of 17.4 dBi, instead of the 60+ range and a gain of UHF 8.7 dBi / VHF 2.6 dBi.) These networks listed below, which are in the grey column says its 60 miles away from me, shouldn't it be able to pick it up with a stronger gain than 8.7 dBi (my current antenna?)
Antenna mileage figures aren't very useful. What good is a "60" mile antenna if there is a hill 5 miles away in the signal path? What counts is the strength of the signal at your antenna.

(WBXZ-LP): ?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d9038b3d408dfde%26t%3dALLTV%26n%3d31

(WBNF-CD): ?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d9038b3d408dfde%26t%3dALLTV%26n%3d42
Not much chance for them except during Tropospheric propagation.
WBXZ
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=9038b3d408dfde&t=ALLTV&n=31

The white space near the ground at the right end of the path where your antenna is located indicates a no-signal dead zone. Only 0.152 kW out of 15.000 kW reaches your antenna, that is 152 Watts out of 15,000 Watts ERP.

WBNF
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=9038b3d408dfde&t=ALLTV&n=42

Only 0.001 kW out of 15.000 kW is sent your way, that is 1 Watt out of 15,000 Watts.

·
Registered
16,661 Posts
Just stating your location is Toronto doesn't narrow it down enough.
The actual city of Toronto, or one of the dozen (or so) suburbs, or some distance from same. That location is too general. ;)

That move already happened three weeks ago!
Those few US stations you list are all from (what I call) Gilligan's Island which is NW of the city of Buffalo.

WBXZ-LP
WBNF-CD
Those are very low powered stations, surely not worth any trouble! WBXZ has the absolutely WORST PQ of any in the WNY market and that other is just a unnecessary duplication of a religious station from the Southtowns that is on the same physical channel as CHCH in Hamilton thanks to both of our governments communications commissions. :mad:

Lastly, the overload from both buildings a few miles away from you would make any further reception from the southeast next to impossible, especially with any DA (distribution amp), let alone a preamp even with custom filters (that would be expensive).
Take if from someone that has to deal with those three RF channels that you are able to pick up where you are. They are 7 miles away from me and in-line with Toronto. ;)

The only ones you should try to receive are the other two major US network affiliates; WGRZ-NBC (RF channel 33) and WKBW-ABC (RF channel 38) both around 20 miles SE of the city of Buffalo in the Boston Hills (which is a ideal location due to height in spite of the additional distance).

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
Just stating your location is Toronto doesn't narrow it down enough.
The actual city of Toronto, or one of the dozen (or so) suburbs, or some distance from same. That location is too general. ;)
That is true; we told Scotty45 earlier that an accurate location is necessary because he is so close to the CN Tower, but he seemed unwilling (or unable) to give a more accurate report. His TVFool report indicates poor location accuracy. It does give a postal code M6R 2Z3, which is mostly a park with a Tennis Club, but no obvious houses.
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=9038b3d408dfde

That move already happened three weeks ago!
Thank you. I know where to find the new channel, but I don't know how to find the date of the change.

Those are very low powered stations, surely not worth any trouble!
I agree.

The only ones you should try to receive are the other two major US network affiliates; WGRZ-NBC (RF channel 33) and WKBW-ABC (RF channel 38) both around 20 miles SE of the city of Buffalo in the Boston Hills (which is a ideal location due to height in spite of the additional distance).
His TVFool report doesn't list ABC because of a defective database used to generate reports, but it is listed on a rabbitears.info report.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,814 Posts

(WBXZ-LP):
(WBNF-CD):
Neither one can make it to Toronto.

Both are running 15 kW, and WBNF is LOS and closer. But, WBNF is weaker because of its very directional transmitting antenna array.

Attachments

·
Registered
303 Posts
Antenna Re-Positioning

I have a dual panel antenna secured to my chimney in Mississauga. On a good day, I could pull in 40 stations. With the recent winds, we can now barely get 4-5 local stations. I'm looking for an installer who can re-secure the antenna and aim the two panels optimally. I may also consider installing a rotor. Any installer recommendations?

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I have a dual panel antenna secured to my chimney in Mississauga. On a good day, I could pull in 40 stations. With the recent winds, we can now barely get 4-5 local stations. I'm looking for an installer who can re-secure the antenna and aim the two panels optimally. I may also consider installing a rotor. Any installer recommendations?
I had a lot of good back and forth with Save and Replay, but ultimately haven't pulled the trigger yet. They seemed quite knowledgeable and we talked a lot about using a single split array pointed in 2 directions or having a large single array pointed at Buffalo and a small one with a combiner pointed at the CN Tower. I'll probably pick up again with them this spring.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
303 Posts
I had a lot of good back and forth with Save and Replay, but ultimately haven't pulled the trigger yet. They seemed quite knowledgeable and we talked a lot about using a single split array pointed in 2 directions or having a large single array pointed at Buffalo and a small one with a combiner pointed at the CN Tower. I'll probably pick up again with them this spring.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Thanks. I called them and antenna service won't start for another 2-4 weeks, as it is weather dependent. I\ll follow up then.

Reactions: OJ Bartley

·
Registered
16,661 Posts
Foliage is more of a issue, but that would mean reception problems in the summer, not winter.
Some recently high rise built between you and them maybe? Also interference from who knows where. There is so much stray 'RF' out there, anything is possible.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I am not able to access many HD channels in spite of subscribing the channels. The cable operators say it's weather dependent. Is that so?
Hi Davinci71,

Could you provide more specifics regarding which channels to which you're subscribed that aren't available to you?

Also, who is your service provider? I'm guessing you're not using an OTA ("over the air") antenna yourself, since you mention being subscribed to channels.

Does your Pay TV provider give you the SD ("standard definition") feeds of the channels that don't reach you in HD?

My best two guesses on why a situation might be described as weather dependent are:

* If satellite, then there might be some minutes each day that the sun lines up with the satellite, which affects the signal reaching your dish. But that shouldn't be all the time. Note I'm in Michigan, but I remember with DirecTV satellite a couple of decades ago there would be about an hour certain afternoons that the signal would drop.

* If cable, maybe they're thinking that the underground lines are affected by moisture or just the ground thawing out during this season?

Good luck, Cheers! Statmanmi

·
Registered
16,661 Posts
Being a OTA local reception sub-forum as opposed to a satellite forum, the "subscribing" part didn't register.

·
Registered
947 Posts
This is what I get with a Channel Master 4228 about 30' high

2-1
4-1
5-1
7-1
9-1 soon to be 8-1 after April 28 2019 in my area I think
11-1
17-1
19-1
23-1
25-1
26-1
29-1
36-1
40-1
41-1
42-1
47-1
49-1
51-1
57-1

·
Registered
16,661 Posts
DD/DTS;
Welcome to the forums, but it would help if you had your town listed and the direction your antenna is pointed from your location and it's height. Also, where that is relation to the WNY stations. ;)

·
Registered
947 Posts
Thanks for the welcome. I do have the height listed in my post. I'm in Niagara Falls

1221 - 1240 of 1284 Posts