AVS Forum banner

1241 - 1260 of 1284 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Oops forgot I use a rotor to position the antenna to the required direction.

·
Registered
16,661 Posts
I missed the height. :eek:

Toronto is NW, the WNY stations are SE, then you are swapping directions all the time of have you found a compromise direction? I'm surprised (so of) you can P/U CHCH with the offending low power wonder on Gilligan's Island on the same physical channel a few miles away.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I missed the height. :eek:

Toronto is NW, the WNY stations are SE, then you are swapping directions all the time of have you found a compromise direction? I'm surprised (so of) you can P/U CHCH with the offending low power wonder on Gilligan's Island on the same physical channel a few miles away.

Have you found a compromise direction? - unfortunately no/yes. North seems to work best for most stations. Some channels the antenna needs to be turned.

By the way I'm not looking for help, I just thought I would post what stations I get.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I'm curious... you can't p/u WBXZ 56?

No. That is a low wattage station 15 kW and transmitter tower of only 548' which I assume is why and taking into consideration trees, tall buildings etcetera in my area.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, I'm new to this and hoping that someone will answer when they can. I have a couple of questions. 1. I live it north Oakville and need an antenna recommendation. I'm only interested in getting CBC CTV etc. I don't need the US channels.
2. If I install it myself, the highest that I can likely get it is 20', maybe. Does anyone know of reliable installer?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Hi, I'm new to this and hoping that someone will answer when they can. I have a couple of questions. 1. I live it north Oakville and need an antenna recommendation. I'm only interested in getting CBC CTV etc. I don't need the US channels.
2. If I install it myself, the highest that I can likely get it is 20', maybe. Does anyone know of reliable installer?

Well, you certainly aren't asking for much!

I'm not sure why you're not interested in the Buffalo stations...but for Toronto reception, virtually ANY antenna should pick them up reliably....even an indoor type would most likely work. If I were you, I'd probably start at Walmart or Canadian Tire. RCA has a line of basic, inexpensive units that cover UHF/VHF. Of course for CFTO, you'll need some sort of VHF pickup. CHCH & "CTV2" 42, will be south of you, but you'll probably pick up CHCH on the backside. Then of course there's CITS Burlington.

I think you get my point. A basic 50-mile antenna, whether it has the classic elements, or even a flat-panel unit, should do what you'd want it to. Again for me...I'd sooner do it myself...but I'm not local, so someone a little closer would need to supply the name of a local installer.

There are other things to keep in mind as well. Such as the number of TV's you're connecting it to, and the length of coax you think you'll need. Plus, appropriate splitters etc, and if you're connecting it to a DVR, or other tuner source.

·
Registered
5 Posts

I don't know of any installers, but I agree with the previous poster about trying a cheap internal antenna if all you want is CBC and CTV. You shouldn't have a problem getting more channels in North Oakville though. Even though CTV is VHF, if you decide to mount a stronger outdoor antenna with some height, you could likely get away with a UHF-only antenna. And 20 feet may be enough depending on line of sight at your location.

I'm in Milton at further distance then you (but better angles to pick up Hamilton/Toronto without moving the antenna). I have an Antennas Direct DB4e (UHF-only) pointed at Buffalo/Grand Island, mounted at probably about 20ft (just under the roofline) and ziptied to an eavestrough. CHCH, YESTV, CTV2 from Hamilton all come in to the southern side at very high strength, everything from Toronto (including CTV) comes in off the other side without issue as well. With the recent channel repack moves, all the major channels from Buffalo are rock-solid (Fox was weakest previously). MyTV is probably my weakest channel now, it only very rarely drops out though (maybe a couple of times per year during the summer only).

Full channel list for reference:
2.x NBC

4.x CBS

5.1 CBC

7.x ABC

9.1 CTV

11.1 CHCH

14.1 YESTV

17.x PBS

19.1 TVO

23.x CW

25.1 SRC

29.x FOX

35.1 CTV2

40.1 OMNI2

41.1 GLOBAL

47.1 OMNI1

49.x MYTV

51.x ION

57.1 CITY

Since I have a UHF-only antenna, the VHF channels from Buffalo (26.x, 67.x) never lock. The other low-power channels in Buffalo (39.x, 56.x) land only very occasionally, they are too weak to pull in with any consistency.

·
Registered
230 Posts
My Dad lives 50 km from the CN Tower.

I just installed a $10 flat antenna from Staples for backup when satellite goes out.

It easily locked all Toronto channels plus FOX and PBS.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Improve reception from Buffalo in Burlington ON

Hello all,

I currently have an 8 bay channel master with a pre-amp mounted on my chimney and my reception from Buffalo is spotty at best. It's been a few years since the antenna was installed but I'm pretty sure it was positioned to split the difference between the Toronto and Buffalo towers from my home in Burlington.

What I'm wondering is what I can do, if anything to improve my reception from Buffalo without giving up what I get from Toronto.

Im considering a multi-directional antenna or possibly a second antenna altogether, but I don't want to spend the money if there is no chance of getting the channels Im after. I'd like to reliably get NBC, ABC and CBS.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!

https://www.rabbitears.info/searchmap.php?request=result&study_id=12454

·
Registered
16,661 Posts
Adam Petrie;
Hello neighbor. Toronto is around 28 miles NE and the Buffalo stations are 75 miles SE making those the ones to aim at. The question is how well you will pick up the CN Tower off the side of the antenna.
I question using the preamp.

How easy is all of this to get to? I would w/o question run a 2nd antenna (a 4 bay is fine for the Toronto).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Adam Petrie;
Hello neighbor. Toronto is around 28 miles NE and the Buffalo stations are 75 miles SE making those the ones to aim at. The question is how well you will pick up the CN Tower off the side of the antenna.
I question using the preamp.

How easy is all of this to get to? I would w/o question run a 2nd antenna (a 4 bay is fine for the Toronto).
Thanks Videobruce.

I've had my currents setup for about 8 years and if I recall correctly the pre-amp helps to prevent signal loss along the cable run does it not? If am mistaken please enlighten me.

The antenna is not super accessible. It's on the chimney on a 2-storey house so I will likely have to call an installer.

My current antenna is on a j-pole, Im assuming I could mount a second j-pole and would use a combiner to combine the signals from each antenna? Are there any products that you would recommend?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
16,661 Posts
Are right in Burlington or a suburb? Any tall buildings between you and either location?
Preamps are for weak signal areas, but the problem with them is they overload easily. Being in a large urban area, there are plenty of signals that can overload them including FM stations for starters.
That isn't saying that you have a problem here, but I would at least try re-aiming the antenna for starters with & w/o the preamp.
How long of a cable run to you have and how many Sets/DVR's/Tuners do you have?

There are many 4 bay antennas (the same as what you have but 1/2 of that) to choose from. That would/should be fine for Toronto. Those would be combined with a spliter.

Do you have a pic of your install showing from the ground up you could post?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Thanks Videobruce.

I've had my currents setup for about 8 years and if I recall correctly the pre-amp helps to prevent signal loss along the cable run does it not? If am mistaken please enlighten me.

The antenna is not super accessible. It's on the chimney on a 2-storey house so I will likely have to call an installer.

My current antenna is on a j-pole, Im assuming I could mount a second j-pole and would use a combiner to combine the signals from each antenna? Are there any products that you would recommend?

Thanks again.
I have had a dual panel antenna for several years now and pull in all the Toronto and area stations, as well as Buffalo and sometimes Rochester (I'm in Mississauga). Recently we lost many stations so I had somebody go up on the roof to investigate. It turned out a length of the coax cable itself was bad and had to be replaced so something else to check. Also, he said the pre-amp/amplifier I had was likely not doing much so I had him remove it and he was right; I am getting lots of stations without the amplification.

·
Registered
16,661 Posts
Adam; have you considered a rotor?? ;)
Also, is the preamp in some type of enclosure?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Videobruce:

Are right in Burlington or a suburb? Any tall buildings between you and either location?
I am in a suburb. There are no large buildings in the immediate vicinity but certainly plenty in the general area.

How long of a cable run to you have and how many Sets/DVR's/Tuners do you have?
The cable run is probably 75' with no splitters and runs into a PC with a TV Tuner running Plex Media Server

Adam; have you considered a rotor??
Also, is the preamp in some type of enclosure?
I think I'd prefer to not get a rotor, I feel like I will spend too much time tweaking haha and yes the pre-amp is enclosed and attached to the j-pole. The power supply is in the house and protected from the elements.

avtoronto:

I have had a dual panel antenna ...
Can clarify what you mean by dual-panel?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Videobruce:

I am in a suburb. There are no large buildings in the immediate vicinity but certainly plenty in the general area.

The cable run is probably 75' with no splitters and runs into a PC with a TV Tuner running Plex Media Server

I think I'd prefer to not get a rotor, I feel like I will spend too much time tweaking haha and yes the pre-amp is enclosed and attached to the j-pole. The power supply is in the house and protected from the elements.

avtoronto:

Can clarify what you mean by dual-panel?
Might not be the right term, but what I mean is there are two arrays at an angle to each other. My understanding from the installer was one array captures the Buffalo stations and the other, Toronto's. Sorry, I do not know what antenna I have as the work was done a long time ago. You might want to consult "Dr. Satellite" in Oakville or "Save and Replay" in Mississauga.

Reactions: Adam Petrie
1241 - 1260 of 1284 Posts