AVS Forum banner

CANADA: Toronto, ON - HDTV

281K views 1K replies 242 participants last post by  Trawnna 
#1 ·
Moderators Note

Here is a list of the OTA HD channels currently (11/05) available in the Toronto area, thanks to AVS member intrac.

14-1 (29) Fox WUTV 29 Buffalo

15-1 (45) SUN TV CKXT Hamilton

20-1 (5) CBC CBLT 5 Toronto

24-1 (25) CBC (F) CBLFT 25 Toronto

32-1 (23) UPN WNLO 23 Buffalo

33-1 (2) NBC WGRZ 2 Buffalo

38-1 (7) ABC WKBW 7 Buffalo

39-1 (4) CBS WIVB 4 Buffalo

40-1 (9) CTV CFTO 9 Toronto

43-1 (17) PBS WNED Grand Island / Buffalo

53-1 (57) CityTV CITY Toronto

66-1 (52) SUN TV CKXT Toronto

Also, here's another list with a broader scope from AVS Member Daniel Tonks:

http://www.remotecentral.com/hdtv/

Original Post:

Anyone have any info or advice for Toronto area OTA reception?

I just bought a HDTV and plugged in a Radio Shack antenna.

I get CITY-TV HD, CKXT HD, WNED-HD and WIVB HD (CBS feed).

Have a DB8 antenna on order.

See less See more
#52 ·
Sim-subbing is what you get on Canadian channels, (OTA, cable and satellite services) when they carry the US program, you get the Canadianized version, complete with all the stupid interruptions and virtual stuff they add courtesy of the CRTC. (Think Superbowl).

The Rogers stuff connects either to your component, DVI, or HDMI connections for HD, not the antenna connectors. The standard cable may connect to the S video or NTSC antenna connector (depending on your HD set).

The OTA antenna connects to the ATSC antenna connector.

#53 ·
A while ago a friend brought his HD cable box over for me to try, so we did a comparison on "Star Trek Enterprise" which was playing on City. The version I received over the air was noticably sharper and more detailed from 20 feet away on a 60" screen.

That doesn't mean I don't see the benefit of cable-based HDTV. Although somewhat inferior quality wise compared to OTA, it's a heck of a lot better than *standard* cable, and is the only way to get speciality HD channels or a west coast feed.

#54 ·
ITR; stick with that Zenith/Gemini silver sensor! If that is Canadian, that's a good price! The lowest I have found the SS is $17 US.

Forget any overpriced RS 'thing'! Especially anything with a amp!

#55 ·
#57 ·
3mar67; if you want to spend MORE $$ go right ahead. If the quality of RS products 25+ years ago was the same today I probably wouldn't of commented. But as of the early 90's when I worked there I saw the quality go down the tubes in the span of less than 2 years so corp. profits would go up!

That silver sensor is a no nonsense, no frills, no gimmicks antenna that even looks like an antenna! Amps/preamps don't belong in indoor antennas. GIGO!

#58 ·
thanks for both your inputs on the antennas!

It seems like I cannot easily find the Gemini unit in the Toronto area (any stores?).

I think I can quickly pick up the Radio Shack unit and try my reception. The return policy is good so I can alwayss return it.

#60 ·
Next Best Thing Electronics was run by John Golisitis at Digital Home Canada. Nice Fellow. Unfortunately, he closed down the store a few months ago.

Although the Silver Sensor may be easy to find in the US, it is harder to find in Canada. By the time one gets through paying shipping, duties & taxes, it costs almost the same as the Radio Shack jobbie.

Myself, I bought the Radio Shack 15-1880 back in March as a trial antenna. The plan was if it didn't work for me, I'd return it. Much to my surprise, I received every Buffalo & Toronto channel (except WNYO) with no need to adjust the antenna.

I read up on indoor antennas quite a bit before picking up this unit. Like you mentioned, the Silver Sensor was highly recommended, and I tried to pick one up on E-bay. However, the Radio Shack unit was also highly recommended and easier to get my hands on. The nice thing was, if it didn't work for me, I could return it for a full refund. Not so if I picked up a Silver Sensor from the US.

Don't get me wrong, if I could, I would put up a massive outdoor antenna. I'm looking to buy a new place in the new year and I'm being careful to choose a place with a nice clear line of sight

#61 ·
All you need if you don't have a attic is a crawl space to put up a UHF antenna. That and a rotor hanging from a ceiling joist or mounted to a floor joist (if there isn't a floor (heaven forbid) and you are in business.

It's not expensive, it's out of the way and it's accessible.

#64 ·
I picked up the radio shack antenna on Saturday and finally got the plamsa mounted on the wall. I spent a little time trying to get a signal in the house but nothing seem to come up.

Which direction should I face the antenna? In addition, do I need to open the window coverings? It is really cold outside, does that affect performance?

My Dell W4200HD will not receive a picture unless the signal is "strong". If the signal is weak, it will just display a blue screen with "weak signal". I tried scanning for channels with the ATSC tuner but nothing. Which channels do I goto?

Any help would be appreciated.

BTW, I got Rogers HD package too. Both HD and digital channels are nice. I would have thought there is a bigger difference between the 2. To my surprise, a lot of HD channels still have black bars on the sides...

I have not experimented with the 480p/720p/1080i on the STB yet. I am using DVI + optical out.

#65 ·
First of all, where are you located?

An indoor antenna most likely will not get you anything from Western NY, unless you are near the lake, or up in a high rise facing the lake. All you will probably get is the Toronto HD sites, which are all at the CN Tower. An antenna in the attic will have it's signal reduced by half, so you will need a very high gain antenna if you plan on putting it in the attic.

An indoor small antenna will have to face the CN Tower. I don't know which antenna you have, but try to slowly change the direction 360 degrees. You should at least get the locals.

#66 ·
I am in Thornhill in a house (so not very high). I will try to point the Antenna towards CN Tower. My TV room is facing NorthWest

I bought the Radio Shack TV/HDTV/FM INDOOR ANTENNA 15-1880 $59.99. What does "Line of Sight" mean?

Does walls, brick, trees block my reception? Do I need to put i by the window?

thanks

#67 ·
You are facing N.W. -- the antenna needs to be facing south. Putting it in the window won't help - wrong direction.

There should be sufficient signal for the locals to come in. To test this theory, can you receive any of the local analog channels by plugging in to the NTSC input? You should be able to pick up CBC, CTV, CITY, etc.

#68 ·
No offence ITR, but from Richmond Hill to Buffalo with an indoor antenna is a little ambitious. Like intrac mentioned, try to tune the analog channels first, then go for digitals.

I doubt you will get much of a siganl from the room you're in. From my experience, too many walls in the way will kill any signal. My indoor antenna is in the southwest corner of the house, same as my TV. I once tried the antenna in my computer room (North side of house) and I didn't receive squat except the really strong locals.

#69 ·
Hi Everybody:

I just got 8VSB for my ExpressVu6000. With Radio Shack 15-1880 indoor antenna, I was able to pick up at least the two local stations, pretty strong signal, 65-70%. Does anybody else has a ExpressVu6000, how do one find the two stations in the programme guide in order to watch it. The manual that came with 8 VSB is very vague! Thanks for the help!

Alex

#71 ·
Did not get a chance to try the antenna last night....

But I did make an observation. I have already noted the difference between HD channels and Digital channels were not as dramatic as I thought. Last night when watching Fear Factor on Global, it was very obvious that HD was worst than digital??? Even the sound was not as good. I have 3 channels for Global:

Channel 3 (non HD): better

Channel 28x (HD): worst

Channel 803 (non HD): worst

Channel 28x and 803 looked identical while Channel 3 looked a lot better. Next time I will try to take a picture. Any ideas?

I am using DVI (with no adjustments to the STB, supposedly no need to do so).

#74 ·
I assume that none of the Global channels were OTA HD, since I believe Global HD will be on channel 65.

This FCC site lists all the Toronto channels that are approved. (FCC lists them because they are in the co-ordination zone). The HD channels are marked DT. Not all the approved channels are actually broadcasting OTA. Some are just putting out HD onto Rogers or ExpressVu.

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?state...&slon2=&size=9

#75 ·
I finally got a chance to play with the indoor Radio Shack Antenna. I had to face it southwards for a signal. Turns out I only get CITYTV HD for OTA (channel 53). I also get reception for Channel 66 but my TV will not allow me to see the content giving a "parental lock" even though I did not apply one. You are right, I do not get any of the Buffalo OTA stuff from Thornhill.

I did not notice a dramatic improvement for OTA CityTV vs. Rogers CityTV HD.

I will probably return the Antenna and try again after more OTA HD channels are approved.

Thanks for everyone's help

#76 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by intrac
This FCC site lists all the Toronto channels that are approved. (FCC lists them because they are in the co-ordination zone). The HD channels are marked DT. Not all the approved channels are actually broadcasting OTA. Some are just putting out HD onto Rogers or ExpressVu.

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?state...&slon2=&size=9

More of a curiosity on my part, but the FCC web site does not have links to maps or coverage area. Does the CRTC web site have an equivalent query feature?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.